Tell us what's happening in your life

October 18, 2023 07:27 PM

I just got my new glasses, and damn are they great.  They fit on my nose perfectly without adjustment and don't slide off.  The adjustment period is practically gone, but that might only be because there were only minor changes in my eyesight when I took the exam.  The only real concern is getting used to the different way they fit on my ears, which really isn't a bad thing.

October 24, 2023 01:17 AM

Hey so I passed that exam I've been dreading about for 1.5+ years now. Failed once in February, passed it this time. I'm done with pointless exams forever and I can't be happier. So (hopefully) I'm back in full force, I've been missing having the brain power to actually think about music, reviews, and posting thoughts and stuff.

Awesome news Daniel, glad to hear that you found something new, huge relief. 

As a glasses wearer since like...forever glad that the new pair is treating you well Rex. 

October 24, 2023 01:54 AM

That’s so great Xephyr. I know how long & hard you’ve been working towards that outcome so I’m very please you can put it all behind you now with a positive result.

October 24, 2023 02:35 AM

Well done, Xephyr!

October 24, 2023 06:41 AM

Great news Xephyr. Welcome back!!

October 25, 2023 03:43 PM

Nice to hear that's finally behind you, sounds like it was really tough.

October 25, 2023 03:46 PM

Well done Xeph.

October 30, 2023 10:45 AM

I start my new job tomorrow which of course means that I’ll be driving for at least three hours of every business day. That’s gonna give me plenty of time for listening to metal but very little for writing reviews so don’t be surprised if there’s a significant decrease in my usual quota guys.

In other news, I’ve negotiated for the Neuropath CD to go up on Spotify which is pretty fucking awesome.

October 30, 2023 10:49 AM

Good luck for tomorrow, Daniel.

Do you know if there are any plans for the Neuropath album to get a vinyl release?

October 30, 2023 11:12 AM

Not at this stage Sonny but I'm sure the label could be convinced if the demand was there.

October 30, 2023 01:41 PM

Good luck with your new job, Daniel!

October 30, 2023 04:49 PM

Hope everything goes well Daniel, I had a 2.5-3 hour total commute for a little over a year so I feel your pain, it ain't easy. I got through a lot of podcasts to pass the time but not much else. 

October 30, 2023 06:31 PM
Knock em dead, Daniel.
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
October 30, 2023 09:00 PM

I get up at 5:30am every morning so I can beat the traffic to get to work, then finish at 4:00pm so I can beat it on the way home. Otherwise my travel time would probably be around 2.5 hours too. The good thing about it is that my trips are now around 45 minutes each way, which is about the length of an album. Well, it used to be. I've noticed album lengths are getting longer and longer in recent times.

October 30, 2023 10:20 PM

I had to start at 9 AM today so they could prepare for me. It took a full two hours to get here. I’m hoping to do a 7 AM start in future.

October 31, 2023 01:56 AM

My regards to both of you, even in an area of America where such a commute is considered normal, that sounds rough. Hopefully traffic really isn't that bad, and they know how to use their blinkers.

November 03, 2023 09:18 PM

My first four days at my new job have gone really well. The first 2.5 days were basically spent completing online training & inductions but the last 1.5 days were really interesting & encouraging. I'm really enjoying learning about managing a business in an entirely new industry (i.e. the construction machinery one) while the wider team seems to be embracing me & are really happy to have someone with my skill sets & experience coming into their business which has given me a much-needed ego-boost after recent events had dented my confidence a touch. The commute has been punishing though. It's been more like 95 minutes to get there in the morning & around 110-120 minutes to get home in the evening. Plenty of metal listening has been conducted during that time which is a bit of a concern for the state of my withered ear drums.

November 03, 2023 10:06 PM

Glad to hear it's going well, Daniel. Like they say, "when one door closes, another door opens!"

November 03, 2023 11:52 PM

Glad things are going well at your new job, Daniel.

November 04, 2023 02:20 PM

My first four days at my new job have gone really well. The first 2.5 days were basically spent completing online training & inductions but the last 1.5 days were really interesting & encouraging. I'm really enjoying learning about managing a business in an entirely new industry (i.e. the construction machinery one) while the wider team seems to be embracing me & are really happy to have someone with my skill sets & experience coming into their business which has given me a much-needed ego-boost after recent events had dented my confidence a touch. The commute has been punishing though. It's been more like 95 minutes to get there in the morning & around 110-120 minutes to get home in the evening. Plenty of metal listening has been conducted during that time which is a bit of a concern for the state of my withered ear drums.

Quoted Daniel

Glad it is working out.  Although if they insist on embracing you then you can always go to HR of course :+1:

March 23, 2024 04:01 PM

My grandmother passed away last month.  Due to the circumstances of it all, I went through a depressive state.  But now I'm forcing myself to stand up tall.  I'm on a strict "write two pages a day" rule.  Other than that, there's no water in my house right now, and since I live on a well, the neighbors are having the same problem.  I'm back on albums, and I'm currently blowing through the earlier stuff of Acidgvrl before I get to Armand Hammer.

March 23, 2024 10:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Rex. RIP

March 23, 2024 10:09 PM

Condolences from the Metal Academy team Rex.

March 24, 2024 10:58 AM

Condolences Rex.  Buried my own grandmother on Thursday at 97.  Third coffin I have carried in 7 months.