Tell us what's happening in your life

First Post December 21, 2021 07:11 AM

So I thought I'd give us a dedicated thread where we can all simply communicate the goods & bads of life in general. What's happening in your life? Do you have some exciting news to share with us or would you like us to lend an ear in regard to some challenges you're experiencing? Anyway, I'll kick things off.

My apartment was hit by a freak tempest/cyclone on Sunday afternoon. It killed someone a couple of blocks down from us & we were without power, internet or phone reception for at least 36 hours. The streets are strewn with trees & pieces of roofing at the moment. It was the scariest weather experience I've ever had by a significant margin. Fucking Armageddon shit!

December 21, 2021 08:46 AM

Yikes... The world has been having crazy-a** weather lately. We've all heard about the tornado that hit several states in the US. Last weekend in my country Malaysia, it rained non-stop for 3 days (Friday to Sunday) like some Noah's Ark sh*t, so there were some floods all over the state I live in. Fortunately, our apartment wasn't affected by the floods. As you might remember from the days of when both my Instagram account and the Metal Academy Instagram account were more active, I write and draw my own published book series, and the latest installment in the series will finally be out tomorrow. My family and I plan to donate 5% of the money we earn from the book sales to a charity that would help the victims of the floods. 'Tis the season of giving for my family indeed!

December 21, 2021 03:58 PM

Glad everyone is ok at the Daniel residence.  Good luck with your book Andi.

No freak weather here thankfully although a storm brought down a fence in the back garden that I was planning on taking down anyway.  In the new year we will begin preparation for our wedding in October (third attempt due to COVID forcing us to cancel two previous dates) so that will fill up most of 2022.

Company I work for was taken over earlier this year and the changes should be starting in the new year so a little uncertainty in general on that front but the basic rules of sales is to keep hitting your numbers and you should be fine and I am on target to end the year well over target so not worried.

December 21, 2021 05:26 PM

Unfortunately my 86-year old dad is very ill and has been hospitalised (not covid-related) and it looks unlikely that he'll be going back home as he can no longer take care of himself. To be honest, it's been inevitable for a while, but the NHS has just implemented new covid measures and we're not even allowed to go and see him, so that's a real bummer. 

December 21, 2021 09:53 PM

Unfortunately my 86-year old dad is very ill and has been hospitalised (not covid-related) and it looks unlikely that he'll be going back home as he can no longer take care of himself. To be honest, it's been inevitable for a while, but the NHS has just implemented new covid measures and we're not even allowed to go and see him, so that's a real bummer. 

Quoted Sonny

Sorry to hear this.

My 96 year old gran fell earlier this year and spent weeks in hospital.  COVID measures were quite stringent at the time and we could not go to see her which was especially difficult after she developed post-operative delirium but she was soon able to come out of hospital before we knew it and although unable to live at home is now well settled in a care home.

Hopefully your father can get to the same positive place - minus the post operative delirium of course.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
December 21, 2021 09:54 PM

Unsurprisingly, given the last couple of years that we've had, there appears to be some turmoil in most people's lives at the moment. Very sorry to hear about your dad Sonny.

I think this thread is a great idea Daniel. It gives us some insight into the experiences people have when they're not listening to and discussing the metal music we love.

As for me, I've had a fairly massive project dumped on me out of nowhere, so I've had to cancel the majority of my planned Xmas leave. I'm pretty annoyed about it, but at least the project is a great opportunity for both the business and my own career. If I can nail this one, surely good things will come (at least that's what I keep telling myself while I wallow in self-pity).

December 22, 2021 07:05 AM

Thanks guys. Sadly there's only really one realistic outcome for this situation, but that is all part of life isn't it?

December 22, 2021 07:10 AM

My apartment was hit by a freak tempest/cyclone on Sunday afternoon. It killed someone a couple of blocks down from us & we were without power, internet or phone reception for at least 36 hours. The streets are strewn with trees & pieces of roofing at the moment. It was the scariest weather experience I've ever had by a significant margin. Fucking Armageddon shit!

Quoted Daniel

Unfortunately for us all, as long as the current crop of greedy, corrupt arseholes parading themselves as the leaders of the world are in charge of the battle against climate change then we're all going to have to get used to this type of freak weather event which will probably get even worse as time goes on. Don't know about any of you, but I don't believe our leaders have the will to do what is required and that's worrying for all of us.

December 22, 2021 12:03 PM

As for me, I've had a fairly massive project dumped on me out of nowhere, so I've had to cancel the majority of my planned Xmas leave. I'm pretty annoyed about it, but at least the project is a great opportunity for both the business and my own career. If I can nail this one, surely good things will come (at least that's what I keep telling myself while I wallow in self-pity).

Quoted Ben

This is my problem to some degree also.  My phone never really gets turned off from a work perspective and so although I am on leave already I have spent most of the morning working on an emergency at one of my customer sites and I know this is going to rumble on through the coming weekend.

December 22, 2021 08:51 PM

Life is a bit tough in my home right now. My wife was three months pregnant with my third daughter when we found out that the baby had died due to a chromosome issue last Wednesday. She had to have surgery to remove the foetus the following day & has been an emotional wreck ever since.

December 22, 2021 08:52 PM

My phone never really gets turned off from a work perspective and so although I am on leave already I have spent most of the morning working on an emergency at one of my customer sites and I know this is going to rumble on through the coming weekend.

Quoted Vinny

I can totally relate to that Vinny. I rarely go a day without some form of work.

December 22, 2021 10:23 PM

Life is a bit tough in my home right now. My wife was three months pregnant with my third daughter when we found out that the baby had died due to a chromosome issue last Wednesday. She had to have surgery to remove the foetus the following day & has been an emotional wreck ever since.

Quoted Daniel

So very sorry for your loss Daniel. Thoughts go out to you and your family at such a difficult time. Life seems very cruel sometimes.

December 23, 2021 01:02 AM

Quoted Sonny

Sorry to hear this.

My 96 year old gran fell earlier this year and spent weeks in hospital.  COVID measures were quite stringent at the time and we could not go to see her which was especially difficult after she developed post-operative delirium but she was soon able to come out of hospital before we knew it and although unable to live at home is now well settled in a care home.

Hopefully your father can get to the same positive place - minus the post operative delirium of course.

Quoted Vinny

Quoted Daniel

It's tough having to deal with the near-tragedies and tragedies in life, such as hospitalized relatives and miscarriages. So sorry to hear, guys.

December 25, 2021 08:49 PM

My family are spending Xmas/Boxing Day at my mother-in-law's place so I'm really hoping that I get the opportunity to watch most of Day One of the Boxing Day Ashes Test on TV today. So pumped for it! Go Aussies!

December 25, 2021 10:40 PM

The way England are playing, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for you Aussies to take the series.

December 26, 2021 03:36 PM

Quoted Daniel

That's fucking awful.  My sincere condolences to you and your family.

December 30, 2021 07:43 PM

So, Dad passed away in hospital this afternoon. We all did manage to get to see him on Tuesday evening when it was obvious he had taken a turn for the worse, so that was a blessing. To be honest it's kind of a relief because he was in a lot of distress and was being fed a lot of medication towards the end.

And so life takes another turn...

December 30, 2021 08:58 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that mate. One last knife in the back from 2021, eh? I know there's not much that anyone can say that will make things feel any better at a time like this but I'm thinking about you & your family & are really hoping that the coming weeks bring as few challenges as possible.

December 30, 2021 10:33 PM

So, Dad passed away in hospital this afternoon. We all did manage to get to see him on Tuesday evening when it was obvious he had taken a turn for the worse, so that was a blessing. To be honest it's kind of a relief because he was in a lot of distress and was being fed a lot of medication towards the end.

Quoted Sonny

So sorry to hear, Sonny. RIP

December 30, 2021 11:16 PM

Quoted Sonny

So sorry for your loss.  My condolences.

January 03, 2022 02:26 AM

We're having our two bedroom apartment internally repainted on Thursday, Friday & Saturday. We'll be packing the kids into the car & heading south of Sydney for a few days while it's done. My wife is currently forcing me to make a decision between ten different shades of white. One of us is taking this decision far too seriously while the other couldn't give a flying fuck which shade we go for & is getting very annoyed with having to be involved. I'll let you guess which one I am.

January 03, 2022 03:18 AM

We're having our two bedroom apartment internally repainted on Thursday, Friday & Saturday. We'll be packing the kids into the car & heading south of Sydney for a few days while it's done. My wife is currently forcing me to make a decision between ten different shades of white. One of us is taking this decision far too seriously while the other couldn't give a flying fuck which shade we go for & is getting very annoyed with having to be involved. I'll let you guess which one I am.

Quoted Daniel

The latter?

January 03, 2022 09:50 AM

Quoted Daniel

We recently had a new kitchen fitted and I am having the same issue with shades of green. The In fact, I didn't even realise that there was that many shades of green! I'm completely with you on this one - it's really difficult to appear to be interested in the search for a perfect colour match when in reality you couldn't care less.

January 09, 2022 08:45 PM

The fiancée's new car got delivered today ( a belated Xmas present from myself) and we did the purchase entirely online and it was one of the smoothest and most hassle free experiences in all my years of buying cars privately and through dealerships.  Her old car was 15 years old now and although still running it was getting to the stage were it inevitably was going to start to failing increasingly.

I have ordered a weights bench for the first time in years and that should come tomorrow, spent most of the last week cutting back on my booze intake and now am only drinking two drinks a week (currently reserved for Saturday nights) and yesterday's food delivery had a more healthy - although not yet perfect - slant to the list with more greens on there with more fruit also.  I am also now over my recent sleep problems and am back up to 7 hours minimum most nights.  Since I got in the latter half of my forties my sleep has been terrible over the past 6 months or so and the effect on me in the day has been nothing short of terrible and has severely affected my mood.  Having more water seems to be helping also.

We also upgraded our lock-up unit from a half cabinet to a full size walk-in one after my fiancée got offered to work from home more and so the spare bedroom is now her office so we needed to move some furniture out and get a desk and office chair in there.  Spent this morning sorting the lock up put and now need to figure out how I am going to get a mattress in my hatchback to get over to the lock-up tomorrow night.  Either it needs to bend or I will be tying the boot down, luckily it is only a short drive. #firstworldproblems