Tell us what's happening in your life

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 28, 2022 09:50 PM
I've had COVID for the past week, along with my wife and daughter. It's been pretty awful to be honest, even after three shots. I guess I can just be thankful that my daughter's symptoms have been relatively mild, as her health is always a concern. On the bright side, this means I can't get COVID again for up to six months, so I may actually go back to the gym once I feel well enough.
March 29, 2022 12:07 AM
So life is all a bit difficult this week. My wife & two daughters all have COVID so I've been stuck in our two bedroom apartment in isolation for the past 5-6 days. I'm still testing negative but it'll be disastrous if I test positive in the coming days as we've got to be out of our apartment with all of our belongings being moved into storage by Friday's settlement with the new owner. We'll be staying in a serviced apartment in the city for a week while we wait for the settlement of our new home on the Gold Coast on 7th April. I'm so looking forward to this relocation being over & done with so that I can go back to focusing solely on the extreme stresses that my everyday job has been presenting me with of late.
Quoted Daniel
Need a break though, having had my eldest cat put to sleep in the last fortnight we need to get some relaxing time in. I don't have kids, I have cats so the loss of any of them is fucking awful for us.
Quoted Vinny
I've had COVID for the past week, along with my wife and daughter. It's been pretty awful to be honest, even after three shots. I guess I can just be thankful that my daughter's symptoms have been relatively mild, as her health is always a concern. On the bright side, this means I can't get COVID again for up to six months, so I may actually go back to the gym once I feel well enough.
Quoted Ben

It's tough having to deal with some of the tough things in life, such as getting the virus and losing a pet. So sorry to hear, guys, hope things get better for you all.

March 29, 2022 07:04 AM

Since the war in Ukraine started the UK media are acting like Covid has gone away, but infections here are higher than at any time during the pandemic, they're just not reported much. I guess the governments of the world have decided that their economies have to recover and are all starting to unlock (except China) so we're going to have to learn to live with it. Guess now we'll all get it at some point. Luckily these new variants don't seem as lethal and the vaccinations do appear to lessen the severity, so at least that's something. Anyway, hope you guys and your families are OK and recover soon.

April 12, 2022 06:28 AM

So we've finally finished our move to the Gold Coast & are currently setting ourselves up in a very spacious five bedroom house with a big pool. It's a huge change for the family after so many years spent cramped in a two-bedroom apartment in Sydney's Northern Beaches. It's just a shame that I've gotten sick at an inopportune time with the house still relatively full of boxes. By the way, I place removalists on the same level as politicians & parking inspectors after last week's experience. They quite simply have no morals whatsoever.

April 12, 2022 08:10 AM

I'm sure you will soon be recovered in such an idyllic-sounding setting Daniel! Sounds fantastic.

Are you going to become a surfer now then (or maybe you are already, hence the move)!?

April 12, 2022 09:17 AM

So we've finally finished our move to the Gold Coast & are currently setting ourselves up in a very spacious five bedroom house with a big pool. It's a huge change for the family after so many years spent cramped in a two-bedroom apartment in Sydney's Northern Beaches. It's just a shame that I've gotten sick at an inopportune time with the house still relatively full of boxes. By the way, I place removalists on the same level as politicians & parking inspectors after last week's experience. They quite simply have no morals whatsoever.

Quoted Daniel

Glad you're all moved.  Get well soon..

April 12, 2022 11:19 AM

Quoted Daniel

Get well soon, Daniel!

May 03, 2022 08:28 PM

I am off to Florida for a few days in mid-June to "work" - which in effect is just a conference my company (new owners) put on each year to launch the coming year.  9 hour flight - I hate flying - but someone else is paying for me to fly business class and get at least one free day to myself in Orlando so I will take it.  Could be the new norm with us having US owners now so best keep my passport and US visas up to date.

May 03, 2022 10:31 PM

Nice one Vinny. Jetsetting to the home of death metal eh? Let us know if you bump into Glen Benton!

May 03, 2022 11:25 PM

Orlando, Florida? Say hi to Matt Heafy (Trivium) for me if you ever meet him, Vinny!

May 17, 2022 12:13 AM

So unfortunately I picked up COVID at our sales conference in Melbourne last week. The wife has been away in Sydney for work since Friday morning too so I've been running solo with the kids which has been an additional challenge. She'll be back tomorrow morning thankfully.

May 17, 2022 01:44 AM

Get well soon, Daniel.

May 17, 2022 08:58 PM

Hope everything turns out okay and none of the kids end up getting it, I've heard about enough families that managed not to spread it within their own homes so hoping that's how it works out for you guys.

May 17, 2022 10:52 PM
Interestingly the wife & two kids had COVID only a couple of months ago but I never picked it up despite being isolated with them for more than a week.
June 26, 2022 10:30 AM

A few colleagues who came to Florida have since gone down with COVID upon return (I am not among the infected thankfully).  Florida was stupid hot (95 degrees Fahrenheit at one point) but was still a blast even though I had to work. Mad busy since getting back just over a week ago as been working in Scotland this past week so had little time to shake the jet-lag before getting out on the road.  Only this coming week to go then a long weekend in cabin near Snowdonia in Wales that has a hot tub so I will plonk myself in that for four days and enjoy some long overdue downtime.

June 26, 2022 12:43 PM

A few colleagues who came to Florida have since gone down with COVID upon return (I am not among the infected thankfully).  Florida was stupid hot (95 degrees Fahrenheit at one point) but was still a blast even though I had to work. Mad busy since getting back just over a week ago as been working in Scotland this past week so had little time to shake the jet-lag before getting out on the road.  Only this coming week to go then a long weekend in cabin near Snowdonia in Wales that has a hot tub so I will plonk myself in that for four days and enjoy some long overdue downtime.

Quoted Vinny

Welcome back Vinny. Nice to hear from you. Enjoy your break.

June 26, 2022 01:19 PM

Quoted Vinny

You've earned yourself a good break, Vinny. Enjoy!

June 28, 2022 01:37 PM

If it wasn't already apparent I'm going to be on a "hiatus" for a few months. I think I mentioned that I have an engineering exam coming up and now that it's 4 months out I've been buckling down and found out that there's no way my brain can handle learning all this new crap as well as thinking critically about music for reviews. I'll still be listening to a ton of music but I doubt I'll be penning too much stuff until this is all over with. 

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 28, 2022 11:01 PM

If it wasn't already apparent I'm going to be on a "hiatus" for a few months. I think I mentioned that I have an engineering exam coming up and now that it's 4 months out I've been buckling down and found out that there's no way my brain can handle learning all this new crap as well as thinking critically about music for reviews. I'll still be listening to a ton of music but I doubt I'll be penning too much stuff until this is all over with. 

Quoted Xephyr

Totally understandable. Good luck with everything Xephyr!

June 28, 2022 11:46 PM

Quoted Xephyr

Good luck, Xephyr! When you're taking your few-month break, does this include not just reviews but also your feature release submissions and Guardians monthly playlists? I'm just asking, to check on any Guardians-sized voids to fill.

June 29, 2022 12:32 AM

I should be fine with the Guardians playlist and such, I'll make sure to PM you if something comes up, thanks for asking

June 29, 2022 12:59 AM

OK. See you later, Xephyr!

July 07, 2022 06:41 AM

Just finishing five days of annual leave. The first two spent looking after sick kids. The last three spent sick as a dog from whatever I caught from them. Back to work tomorrow. It never ends!!

July 07, 2022 06:53 PM

Just finishing five days of annual leave. The first two spent looking after sick kids. The last three spent sick as a dog from whatever I caught from them. Back to work tomorrow. It never ends!!

Quoted Daniel

I feel like a part-time worker at present - been away over the weekend, back into work Tuesday, off today for a trip to the vets and do some wedding related stuff and off tomorrow morning for a hospital appointment for a series of test I have to have due to abdomen pain.  Still end up sat in front of my work laptop whenever I am off though, in fact today I get more done as people think I  don't have to answer dumb ass questions/problems via phone or email.  The weekend away was the first in over two years were I left the laptop at home.  Still had the work mobile with me though.

Further work planned on the garden this weekend with more plants/flowers to go into the beds and the never-ending battle with weeds to try and get on top of.  Sneakly got the lawns done today though whilst I was off.