Track Of The Day - The Revolution Edition

August 03, 2022 09:55 AM

Good riffs, great screams, and brilliant breakdowns occur in one of only two highlights of this split EP (both only on Caliban's side):

August 03, 2022 10:26 AM

Top-notch raw math/metalcore brutality from the only well-done song of this EP that's otherwise deathcore/melodeath with messed-up aspects:

August 28, 2022 11:05 AM

After revisiting a couple albums from my symphonic-ish power metal past, it was time to return to the more brutal end of the symphonic-ish metal spectrum, with a newfound favorite for me and my usually alt-rock/metal-loving brother. Solid epic symphonic black/technical deathcore, mandatory for fans of deathcore including bands such as Shadow of Intent, Brand of Sacrifice, and Chelsea Grin:

September 06, 2022 02:20 AM

Just how diverse can they guys get!? A wild blend of mathcore, groove, and jazz:

October 04, 2022 12:30 AM

A slight step up in quality and maturity compared to Coalesce's earlier demos:

October 04, 2022 02:03 AM

Aggressive early brutal deathcore/death metal:

October 06, 2022 07:10 AM

Even though this EP is not really the best work of Prayer for Cleansing/Between the Buried and Me guitarist Paul Waggoner and vocalist Tommy Rogers, this song has perhaps the best breakdown I've heard in any of those guys' bands:

October 07, 2022 01:33 PM

After finding out that today (as of this review) is the 25th anniversary of two obscure yet relevant Revolution releases with one of them being that Damaged album I've reviewed, the other release, Crisis' The Hollowing is filled with female-led sludgy metalcore with elements of a few other metal genres. Think of this like a mix of Earth Crisis, Eyehategod, and a bit of the doomy melodeath that Insomnium would later have:

October 23, 2022 06:16 AM

Some more fantastic bands I've discovered and listened through, thanks to the songs included in the playlists that I've assembled. In terms of my Metalcore Pyramid Guide (https://metal.academy/forum/14/thread/1219), here are those bands, from the MELODIC pop-influenced alt-metalcore of Issues:

To the STYLISTIC djenty metalcore of Architects:

Along with the STANDARD-influenced metalcore/hardcore of Beartooth:

And finally the epic blackened deathcore of Lorna Shore:

November 04, 2022 12:46 AM

An anthem of deathcore devastation, mixing the melody, brutality, and technicality of The Black Dahlia Murder, Thy Art is Murder, and Wretched, respectively:

November 04, 2022 06:16 AM

A fantastic highlight that adds more balance to the breakdowns and guitarwork than in a couple songs from their debut:

November 04, 2022 11:25 AM

Despite being a decade later than Oceano and Whitechapel, and serious drama involving the band and their vocalist at the time, it's songs in this album like this that shall earn them immortality in the deathcore realm:

November 10, 2022 12:22 AM

Another YouTube commenter recommended that I listen to Zao, one of the earliest metalcore bands to still be active today. This incredible song that I've looked up has blown me away, and I look forward to checking out the rest of its album and the band:

November 10, 2022 01:12 PM

From hardcore to metallic, a new era began for this band, recommended for metalcore fans who love the music of Converge, Underoath, and As I Lay Dying:

November 11, 2022 01:00 AM

Another metalcore masterpiece concludes with what can be considered the "sludgy metalcore Crusade":

November 11, 2022 06:34 AM

There are heavier and more humorous highlights in Dead to Fall's final album before this 10-year split, but this one's a mellow heart-toucher:

November 12, 2022 06:37 AM

A six-minute epic of hope for the 90s metalcore scene in Florida:

November 13, 2022 02:00 AM

A monstrous mini-epic from this (later progressive) metalcore band from Sweden (ignore the silence and punky demo recording at the end):

November 13, 2022 07:45 AM

Moving to an entirely different sound away from one that they're tired of, while having a bit of the old-school rhythm, if you know what I mean:

November 13, 2022 12:10 PM

An amazing highlight of metallic hardcore fury, with a few prominent guests including the Deftones vocalist:

November 18, 2022 08:08 AM

A nearly 8-minute metalcore epic from Ryan Clark's pre-Demon Hunter band sharing the same EP as Zao:

November 19, 2022 11:07 AM

Two of the most awesome late 90s extreme metal/deathcore songs I've heard, working better as a couple separate tracks instead of an album littered in useless interludes:

November 27, 2022 11:01 AM

Solid blend of metalcore and pop punk:

December 08, 2022 01:06 AM

Getting back into the early deathcore zone, this band can make pure absolute mayhem: