Track Of The Day - The Infinite Edition

December 09, 2021 05:28 PM

I'm happy with how this one turned out, I've needed some more Melodic Death Metal in my rotation after all of the heavier stuff. It didn't wow me as much as Garden of Storms did, but it shows In Mourning are extremely consistent with the quality of their stuff. It's not as hooky as something like Insomnium but not so technical that it loses itself, so it strikes a nice balance. I'd have to go back to Garden of Storms to see how it compares. 

December 24, 2021 05:35 AM

Don't know where to put this, but saw in the r/progmetal subreddit a couple of days ago. Features members of Haken, Dream Theater, Protest the Hero, Cradle of Filth and Inhuman Condition

Sleigher - Seasons Greeting in the Abyss and yes, it cheesy as fuck

December 25, 2021 09:25 PM

You know I couldn't let the season pass by without some holiday cheer cheese!

Mile Marker Zero - It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year  

January 24, 2022 12:05 AM

Some fantastically psychedelic progressive rock/metal from Brazil.

February 11, 2022 11:25 AM

Elemental progressive tech-death for fans of the early 90s eras of Coroner, Cynic, and Death:

February 11, 2022 12:37 PM

As someone who normally avoids black metal, I'm stunned by how much I decently enjoy the latest Oranssi Pazuzu album, the avant-psychedelic Mestarin kynsi, though I'm one or two years late for the party. I'm glad to see the appeal of tracks like this and finally reach the other side:

February 11, 2022 06:09 PM

Perhaps that’s because the only thing black metal about “Mestarin kynsi” is the vocals Andi. It’s really a post metal record in my opinion. Make sure you vote for this release in The Hall.

February 11, 2022 10:08 PM

Already done that, Daniel!

February 12, 2022 02:00 PM

Once again trying to push my limits into post-black metal, the 5th and final Agalloch album marked a half-decent end to their two-decade tenure, including this 12-minute final Crusade. This should be picked up by fans of Alcest, Oranssi Pazuzu, and 90s Ulver:

February 12, 2022 02:51 PM

The mighty finale of Tool's progressive comeback album:

February 21, 2022 11:40 AM

I could not find the full "Anabasis" suite in one video, but that's OK because this part is superior, complete with soloing by two neo-classical guitar masters and a female vocalist that I've first heard of 10 years ago from the epic orchestral times of Two Steps From Hell. Fans of Leprous, Enslaved, and Opeth should dig this epic collaboration:

February 21, 2022 11:46 PM

The apocalyptic climax of another perfect post-sludge album, with two guitarists from a pop rock band joining in. It's the Cult of the Phoenix!

March 05, 2022 05:34 AM

A high quality progressive metal collaboration between the legendary Emperor & Opeth front men.

March 17, 2022 06:25 AM

Two weeks left before Meshuggah's new album Immutable gets released and we find out whether or not the band and the rest of the galaxy end up getting trapped in the darkness of their complex music like Andrew O'Neill predicted. In the case of surviving this killer djent track, it might be a good sign of us getting April-Fooled in the most epic and heaviest way possible when that day comes:

March 24, 2022 04:11 PM

A doom-drenched track from the heart of Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini album that shows them trying a different angle to their sound to terrific effect.

April 03, 2022 08:15 PM

Progressive deathcore from this trio featuring musicians from England, Sweden & Australia.

April 10, 2022 01:31 AM

Progressive deathcore from this trio featuring musicians from England, Sweden & Australia.

Quoted Daniel

Starts calm before turning into an absolute headbanger. You could sing along to the cleans and scream along to the growls! I am quite familiar with melodic death metal/core, so this works out great.

April 16, 2022 01:07 PM

The Swedish creators of djent are back with some of the most aggressive extreme progressive metal this year, like in this killer track:

April 16, 2022 10:43 PM

Norwegian progressive metal with an alternative metal slant.

April 17, 2022 01:29 AM

Norwegian progressive metal with an alternative metal slant.

Quoted Daniel

I just gave this Extol album a listen and a review to see if I still have the Leprous/Opeth/Voivod appeal, and it's still on! The Blueprint Dives is a perfectly balanced album and makes me up to checking out the rest of their discography, possibly ending my hiatus from death metal. That track is my favorite here. It starts almost dark, but the chorus is so emotional in the lyrics. Awesome!

May 03, 2022 07:20 AM

Djenty progressive metal and deathcore fit well like a glove, and this 13-minute 3-part epic proves it. Still gearing up for Intrinsic though...

May 03, 2022 11:21 AM

Complex experimentation for beauty and brutality to unite:

May 04, 2022 02:30 AM

Some of the best and most thriving from this band, but keep that in mind before the quality drops a bit later in that album: