Track Of The Day - The Infinite Edition

May 03, 2020 09:02 AM

One of the most killer Metallica covers you would ever hear. When progressive death goes thrash!

May 15, 2020 08:21 AM

Absolutely supreme US progressive metal from the masters of the subgenre. Spectacular stuff for fans of Rush, Fates Warning & Haken.

May 15, 2020 09:05 AM

Absolutely supreme US progressive metal from the masters of the subgenre. Spectacular stuff for fans of Rush, Fates Warning & Haken.

Quoted Daniel

A killer epic from one of the best albums in the history of melodic progressive metal! Or as the top comment on its YouTube video says, "Indian progressive dubstep metal".

May 15, 2020 09:20 AM

While reviewing albums from Type O Negative as part of my Gothic Metal Clan Challenge strategy, I'm also listening to a bit of Nevermore, another band with a longtime vocalist who passed away. Y'know, Daniel, I'm a little surprised about you not liking their last album. I personally think The Obsidian Conspiracy is a great valuable swansong for the band, including their title finale with its killer melodeath-ish riffing and shredding. But I can never hear those ending lyrics the same way ever again, "The drowning sage can't feed the silence, the firestorm can never be heard, these are my last....WORDS."

May 15, 2020 12:30 PM

To be honest, the vocal performance was simply far, far too theatrical for my taste. I found it thoroughly abhorrent & couldn't sit through it. That was quite a while ago now & I'd be interested to see if I still feel the same way.

June 23, 2020 07:54 AM

One of my all-time favourite progressive death metal tunes. For fans of Atheist, "Spheres"-era Pestilence & the second half of Death's career.

June 23, 2020 08:29 AM
Oooh yeah, Cynic's Focus! A true masterpiece album that has put Cynic in the early 90s tech-death "Big Four", along with the other mentioned bands (Atheist, Pestilence, Death).
July 01, 2020 07:30 PM

Daniel's choice for July's The Infinite featured release immediately made me think of this.

A fantastic live version to boot (damn these guys were good!!):

July 02, 2020 12:00 AM

Did you know Mastodon contributed to the soundtrack for the film Jonah Hex? D*mn, I gotta watch that movie...

July 20, 2020 09:21 PM

A very solid progressive metal outing that highlights the fact that these Teutonic thrashers had a fair bit more to offer than being an outlet for mindless thrashing. How much do the vocals sound like Soundgarden's Chris Cornell??

July 20, 2020 11:30 PM

Here's the album version of "The Drapery Falls" that's as fantastic as that live version. These guys are indeed good! I gotta listen to more of that band soon...

July 21, 2020 02:08 AM

Yeah "The Drapery Falls" is an elite level example of progressive metal alright. One of the the classics for sure.  "Harvest" & "Dirge For November" are my personal favourites from "Blackwater Park" though & "Bleak" isn't too far behind.

July 21, 2020 02:22 AM

"Dirge For November" and "Bleak" are some of my personal album favorites too, and I especially love the 12-minute title epic!

July 21, 2020 03:36 AM
Even though it's been beaten to death by praise I always love seeing appreciation for Blackwater Park. Don't worry, I've got the review in the works, it'll be coming sometime this week or weekend. I've got so, so much to say. 
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
July 21, 2020 06:26 AM

Amazing album from a top tier band at their peak. It's been a while since I listened to it actually. I think it's time...

August 19, 2020 08:32 PM

Spectacular Swedish post-metal for fans of Isis, Neurosis & The Ocean.

August 23, 2020 06:47 AM

A stunning progressive metal instrumental from one of the greatest talents the 1980's neoclassical guitar shred era produced.

August 28, 2020 10:33 PM

Is this the best piece of progressive metal ever performed? Quite possibly!

August 31, 2020 07:30 AM

I just gave that Leprous live album another listen and a review. It was indeed one of the greatest, most mind-blowing progressive live releases ever, but I feel like some things make the album a little empty, like for example, the absence of the over 10-minute epics from Aeolia and Tall Poppy Syndrome that would've made a more proper farewell to their earlier metal style. Oh well... Anyway, here's the original of that grand finale piece of progressive metal:

September 03, 2020 08:02 PM

Superb Icelandic post-metal for fans of Agalloch, Russian Circles & Toundra. This particular track shows off Solstafir's black metal roots with a vocal performance that reminds me heavily of Primordial's  A.A. Nemtheanga.

September 04, 2020 11:14 AM

A killer song from Opeth's last metal album:

September 08, 2020 08:04 PM

Avant-garde progressive metal from Canada for fans of Vektor, Coroner & Watchtower.

September 10, 2020 09:39 PM

The godfathers of post-metal flex their atmospheric muscles with predictably mind-blowing results. For fans of Isis, Cult Of Luna & Minsk.

September 10, 2020 11:41 PM

The ultra-rare Nucleus demo by progressive-thrashers Vektor is finally found! Check it out for the band's earlier songs at their original form: