Track Of The Day - The Infinite Edition

September 17, 2020 09:05 PM

A ripper of a progressive metal anthem from our new The Infinite member Jean Elias. For fans of Dream Theater.

September 17, 2020 11:06 PM

A ripper of a progressive metal anthem from our new The Infinite member Jean Elias. For fans of Dream Theater.

Quoted Daniel

Wonderful progressive song! Jean Elias is really good at his bass. Y'know, seeing the word "Neurosis" made me realize that I need to listen to more of the band Neurosis. I should get going on that band soon...

October 01, 2020 12:06 AM

An amazing example of progressive doom/death from Massachusetts, USA.

October 02, 2020 11:05 AM

An amazing example of progressive doom/death from Massachusetts, USA.

Quoted Daniel

That song is indeed amazing! I sense some prominent Wildhoney influences in there...

October 04, 2020 12:37 AM

Finally listening to more of post-sludge legends Neurosis! Here's a good song from them:

October 10, 2020 09:16 PM

As good as the djent sound gets in my opinion. The Swedish masters of the subgenre at full strength.

October 10, 2020 11:25 PM
Didn't I already share that Meshuggah track here earlier this year?? That's OK because that song is filled with great strong djent!
October 11, 2020 01:58 AM

A grand progressive post-sludge epic from the latest Ocean album, featuring the voice of Katatonia's Jonas Renkse:

October 25, 2020 02:03 AM

3 incredible Infinite bands I started to enjoy and listen to, spanning across over 3 decades, from the late 80s/90s progressive groove/thrash of Coroner...

...to the 2000s progressive post-sludge of Isis...

...and finally, the 2010s progressive metal/rock of Haken:

October 28, 2020 02:20 PM

When I did my review for Gojira's The Way of All Flesh, I initially didn't think one of the songs "Yama's Messengers" stood out well because it was too sludgy for me at the time, but thanks to my tolerance for sludge improving, I now enjoy that song! And that alone has made me realize that album's true perfection.

November 01, 2020 12:16 PM

A magical reenactment of one of Opeth's more beautiful works.

November 06, 2020 10:06 AM

I just gave that Opeth live album another listen and a review. Indeed one of the greatest, most mind-blowing progressive live releases ever! Though I feel like it would've been better if they've also done killer songs like "Serenity Painted Death" and "Wreath", the latter from Deliverance, the only album at that time to not have a song played in that performance. Oh well... Anyway, here's the original of that beautiful work in its equally magical studio form:

November 09, 2020 11:16 AM

The ultimate Opeth epic, despite a few compositional flaws:

November 10, 2020 08:39 PM

An epic melodeath-driven German progressive metal outing.

November 15, 2020 01:54 AM

An epic melodeath-driven German progressive metal outing.

Quoted Daniel

It sure is! Thanks again, Daniel!

November 15, 2020 02:00 AM

Man, I was on a roll when reviewing all those Opeth albums. OK, this is the last Opeth track I'll share for now. Just disregard the "Reverie" part of the title that was meant for its pregap interlude and enjoy the "Harlequin Forest" epic!

December 10, 2020 09:50 AM

Yes I know, the album this song is in is not in The Infinite, not even in this site because it's non-metal, but it seemed fitting for this sad time, so there. RIP Sean Reinert and Malone );

December 12, 2020 08:27 PM

Blackened post-metal from Finland for fans of A Forest Of Stars, Hail Spirit Noir & Sólstafir.

December 13, 2020 12:46 AM

While I like a couple North bands now, that's mainly because they were only in The North for the first half of their tenures and I like the albums after they started moving out of black metal (https://metal.academy/forum/12/thread/191?page=1#topic_5129). I also like Solstafir, from their black metal debut to their subsequent albums of post-metal, including this epic from their newest album:

January 05, 2021 08:30 PM

I've been really enjoying this classy little instrumental piece from this month's feature release this morning. For fans of Porcupine Tree, Leprous & Haken.

January 08, 2021 12:17 AM

A glorious 22 and a half minute epic from one of the bands that inspired the indirect Devin Townsend recommendation to me:

January 16, 2021 03:35 PM

A couple recommendations from January's featured releases have opened a few gates to different bands of further horizons for me, from the spacey post-sludge of Rosetta...

...to the comedic progressive metal of one of the genre's masterminds, Devin Townsend...

...and finally the progressive industrial metal of his former band Strapping Young Lad:

January 18, 2021 09:15 AM

Not really the most metal track, but it's certainly an epic you can't ignore in this progressive masterpiece of an album:

January 18, 2021 09:37 AM

Yeah it's an absolute stunner, isn't it? One of my favourite tracks from the album.