Track Of The Day - The Guardians Edition

July 27, 2021 11:35 AM

I've never bought into the idea that Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within" was the release that initially created the classic US progressive metal sound. "The Warning" was a fully fledged progressive metal release as far as I'm concerned & it's always baffled me that it's not regarded as such. There were actually a few earlier & significantly more underground examples of progressive metal too in my opinion however they were all a bit rough around the edges & weren't as well defined & executed as this one. I'll chuck 'em your way & see what you think at some point Andi.

July 27, 2021 01:08 PM

I can probably check on RYM to see if there are any underground pre-Queensryche/Fates Warning progressive metal releases that aren't in this site, but the RYM server has been acting odd lately, so maybe later. Anyway, I also checked out that Fates Warning album, and it's another brilliant early example of 80s heavy/progressive metal. A very solid start, thanks Daniel! I think its closing track has pushed that of Queensryche's debut off the reign for the mightiest epic of that style and era:

July 27, 2021 07:02 PM

RYM doesn't list the releases I'm talking about as progressive metal Andi which is kinda my point.

July 28, 2021 09:22 PM

German heavy/power metal for fans of Grave Digger, Blazon Stone & Rage.

August 03, 2021 02:17 PM

Dark ambitious British heavy metal. Fans of Judas Priest, Manowar, and Motorhead might dig this:

August 07, 2021 11:00 PM

This one is my pick from the album. It a melodic heavy metal anthem out the highest order & a real ear-worm. For fans of Judas Priest, Accept & Grim Reaper.

August 14, 2021 08:07 PM

Some very solid US power metal from Pennsylvania, USA. For fans of Brocas Helm, Manilla Road & Eternal Champion.

August 15, 2021 02:02 AM

Some very solid US power metal from Pennsylvania, USA. For fans of Brocas Helm, Manilla Road & Eternal Champion.

Quoted Daniel

I kinda think of the "Vargr" duo of songs to be slightly better than Blind Guardian's "Bard's Songs", in almost the same pace but heavier and faster at times, and less acoustic. The second part (after this one), "Vargr Theme/Confrontation" makes a fantastic transition from the previous "Vargr", though not as superior but still great.

August 17, 2021 09:15 PM

Possibly the greatest example of the more European variety of power metal ironically comes from a US outfit in Kamelot. For fans of Dream Theater, Avantasia & Sonata Arctica.

August 24, 2021 09:45 PM

This monster of a doom metal track sounds like Black Sabbath's debut album crossed with Led Zeppelin's "Dazed & Confused" & I absolutely love it.

September 03, 2021 08:55 PM

The doomier closer from the 1997 debut album from Atlanta-based progressive US power metal outfit Cauldron Born". For fans of Slauter Xstroyes, Deadly Blessing & mid-80’s Fates Warning.

September 15, 2021 11:49 AM

The chorus from this Swedish power metal anthem simply kills. For fans of Nocturnal Rites, Hibria & Sonata Arctica.

September 15, 2021 01:12 PM

The chorus from this Swedish power metal anthem simply kills. For fans of Nocturnal Rites, Hibria & Sonata Arctica.

Quoted Daniel

I love that killer chorus also!

September 21, 2021 10:45 AM

An epic single from a former favorite power metal band of mine. Perhaps this could be a sneak peek to their next album, The War to End All Wars:

September 26, 2021 12:58 AM

You just gotta get close to this dark-ish metal combo of the heavy metal of Judas Priest/Iron Maiden and the progressive art of Rush/Pink Floyd:

September 26, 2021 01:59 PM

An essential metal ballad mandatory for all metalheads:

November 11, 2021 07:07 AM

I just remembered that today is Remembrance Day. Let us have a minute of silence for those who sacrificed their lives for their countries, then enjoy this glorious song:

November 17, 2021 02:32 AM

Unlike their glam metal peers, W.A.S.P. has made real heavy metal and mature serious lyrics, and this song shows how it should be made:

November 28, 2021 07:48 AM

Danish power metal with folk/symphonic influences. For fans of Falconer, Manticora & Lost Horizon.

November 28, 2021 11:30 AM

Danish power metal with folk/symphonic influences. For fans of Falconer, Manticora & Lost Horizon.

Quoted Daniel

An incredible highlight that fits well for guitarist Erik Ravn, not just because of his guitar talents but also because of his name. You'll also witness flawless bass work that's often hard to find elsewhere.

December 08, 2021 03:33 PM

Looking for a grand cinematic mix of Helloween, Manowar, and the dueling solos of Dream Theater? Rhapsody of Fire has it all in their latest album, especially this over 10-minute epic:

December 20, 2021 09:39 PM

The fantastic opener from Savatage's first attempt at a heavy metal rock opera. For fans of Jon Oliva's Pain, Virgin Steele & WASP's "The Crimson Idol" album.

December 23, 2021 01:12 AM

The big issues in life, whether personal or for the world, can be quite a struggle, but as much as we have to accept those hard times, we're not gonna let them get in the way of an amazing holiday like Christmas. So when the day comes two days from now, get ready to say....

January 03, 2022 01:24 AM

There's no better definition of power metal than this, for fans of DragonForce, Gloryhammer, and ReinXeed/Majestica: