Track Of The Day - The Guardians Edition

May 14, 2021 11:18 PM

Chunky Swedish heavy metal for fans of Judas Priest, Manowar & Atlantean Kodex.

Quoted Daniel

I love that one! Though its slowness doesn't stand out as well as the fast-paced songs in the album...

May 20, 2021 03:29 AM

Early 2000's Swedish power metal for fans of Helloween, Gamma Ray & Blind Guardian.

May 21, 2021 12:13 PM

Early 2000's Swedish power metal for fans of Helloween, Gamma Ray & Blind Guardian.

Quoted Daniel

Pure prog-ish Swedish power metal that can once again help re-ignite my earlier epic metal spark!

May 23, 2021 09:48 PM

Brilliantly brooding Florida heavy metal from the late 80's. For fans of Queensrÿche, Fates Warning & Savatage.

May 24, 2021 11:58 AM

Brilliantly brooding Florida heavy metal from the late 80's. For fans of Queensrÿche, Fates Warning & Savatage.

Quoted Daniel

Indeed! The lyrics can be a bit cheesy sometimes, but seems like we both don't mind...

May 26, 2021 09:54 PM

High quality US power metal from New York with a symphonic edge. For fans of Manowar, Savatage & Jag Panzer.

May 29, 2021 12:38 PM

A great little heavy metal anthem from the great Dane's solo catalogue. For fans of Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest & Angel Witch.

May 29, 2021 10:18 PM

Brilliant mid-80's heavy/power metal from Florida USA for fans of Queensryche, Savatage & Virgin Steele.

May 30, 2021 01:41 PM

Brilliant mid-80's heavy/power metal from Florida USA for fans of Queensryche, Savatage & Virgin Steele.

Quoted Daniel

I won't lie, this track shows how much the band has done to make Iron Maiden and Judas Priest proud and the potential to share those bands' reign in the 80s classic heavy metal scene. I also look forward to reviewing that Virgin Steele album a couple posts above...

May 31, 2021 12:50 PM

High quality US power metal from New York with a symphonic edge. For fans of Manowar, Savatage & Jag Panzer.

Quoted Daniel

A great part of an album that proves how conceptual metal operas work away from the progressive metal field and add to the epic vibe of power metal...

June 05, 2021 12:35 AM

Continuing the theme of classic heavy metal songs that have developed speed metal, Tymell's recent review of Accept's Restless and Wild made me remember this fast song with its proto-thrash riffing and double-bass drumming:

June 07, 2021 06:45 PM

The best track from Cirith Ungol's new Half Past Human EP is the epic title track that closes the release:

June 09, 2021 01:57 AM

Blistering Canadian power metal with classic metal influences that kinda sounds like Gamma Ray meets "Painkiller"-era Judas Priest.

June 25, 2021 12:15 AM

Powerful German power metal for fans of Helloween, Blind Guardian & Judas Priest.

June 28, 2021 12:47 PM

A heavy metal classic from a classic album from a classic band:

July 03, 2021 10:42 AM

3 amazing heavy/power metal bands I now enjoy:

July 03, 2021 11:51 PM

A solid & memorable German power metal anthem for fans of Helloween, Blind Guardian & Judas Priest.

July 04, 2021 01:27 AM
"Power Plant" is simply another example of how widely disparate our tastes are Andi which is no real surprise. I only enjoyed four of the eleven tracks on offer with "Hand Of Fate" being the only one that pushed up into 4/5 territory. I quite liked  "Anywhere In The Galaxy", "Razorblade Sigh" & "Short As Hell" too as they had enough ballsy heavy metal influence to keep me interested however tracks like "Gardens of the Sinner" & "Heavy Metal Universe" are none of my business & the Pet Shop Boys cover version has no business being on a serious metal album in my opinion. 
July 18, 2021 10:04 PM

I'm very surprised to hear myself saying that I genuinely adore this Savatage belter. For fans of Queensryche, Virgin Steele & Crimson Glory.

July 19, 2021 02:10 AM

I'm very surprised to hear myself saying that I genuinely adore this Savatage belter. For fans of Queensryche, Virgin Steele & Crimson Glory.

Quoted Daniel

I love this one, especially the catchiest chorus in this album, soaring through singalong fun.

July 23, 2021 09:48 PM

Classic heavy metal for fans of Iron Maiden, Dio & Halford.

July 24, 2021 12:36 AM

Classic heavy metal for fans of Iron Maiden, Dio & Halford.

Quoted Daniel

From beautiful to aggressive... That's the kind of heavy metal song structure I'm up for!

July 24, 2021 08:56 AM

I enjoy Bruce Dickinson's solo material, along with Savatage who also took classic heavy metal to a new epic level.

July 27, 2021 11:25 AM

Inspired by Daniel's top 10 favorite US power metal albums, I decided to check out one of them, the first Queensryche album The Warning! While mostly in the US power metal style, the album almost marks the birth of progressive metal in a few songs that drop prominent hints of the style. As a fan of progressive metal, no matter how extreme or melodic the style of the genre I prefer, this album is worth thanking, recommended for listeners of Black Sabbath, Sanctuary, and Dream Theater: