Monthly playlists

First Post January 10, 2021 12:55 PM

Wanting to boost a bit of traffic into playlist suggestions and comments, I decided to start this thread similar to Daniel's monthly feature release outcomes thread. Let's share our overall playlist thoughts and hear which one stands out the most for you and if you made any new discoveries. Of course, you don't have to do it now, in case you need some time until the end of the month to absorb all that you can. You also don't have to talk about only one playlist or talk about every song you've listened to, that's what their respective playlist threads are for! I'll start with the playlists I've reviewed this month (January):

1. Guardians playlist - 5/5 (number of songs commented: 3)

2. Fallen playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 6)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 7 (formerly 8))

4. Pit playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 7)

5. Revolution playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 18 (formerly 20))

Another rewarding playlist month for me, though this time it's more about the quality than quantity. I love all 3 of the songs I commented in the Guardians playlist, though that's probably my earlier epic metal taste talking. The Fallen, Infinite, and Pit playlists have a decent amount of tracks I've commented that are very good. I reviewed a massive amount of tracks in the Revolution playlist, ranging from perfect to good to too incomprehensible for 4 stars or more.

Also please don't forget to submit your requests for the February playlist by the 15th, if you want the playlists (and this thread) to keep going. I'll submit mine tomorrow...

February 17, 2021 09:00 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (February):

1. Guardians playlist - 5/5 (number of songs commented: 5)

2. Fallen playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 7)

3. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 12)

4. Infinite playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 11 (formerly 17))

Another rewarding playlist month for me, though this time it's more about the quality than quantity. I love all 5 of the songs in the Guardians playlist including my own requests, though that's probably my earlier epic metal taste talking. The Fallen playlist has a decent amount of tracks I've commented that are very good. I reviewed a massive amount of tracks in the Revolution playlist, ranging from perfect to good to too incomprehensible for 4 stars or more. And I've managed to review all 17 songs from the Infinite playlist, but I ending cutting the list down to 11. Still a good month!

March 03, 2021 11:53 PM

Hi everyone. Sonny & I have both been wondering whether it might make sense to give each member a maximum time allocation for their suggested inclusions in each month's clan-specific playlist rather than a track number limit. What do you think of that idea?

March 04, 2021 12:06 AM

I think it's a good idea. Might be a tough challenge, but it can be done. Using both conditions, I'll submit 5 tracks in 30 minutes for all my clans...

March 04, 2021 07:11 AM

Also, while the membership is still quite small, how about allowing one track suggestion to any non-clan Academy member. For example, I'm not a member of The Guardians, but I think I've heard enough heavy metal to come up with a decent suggestion or two. These can always then be subject to omission due to time constraints or unsuitability, submissions from clan members always taking precedence obviously.

March 04, 2021 07:36 AM

Another good idea, Sonny! However, for that to happen, we should probably limit that to two of each member's most heard clans that aren't their own. I know a lot about The Horde (my former clan) and The Pit, but I'm not a fan of The Gateway, The North, or The Sphere, though I started enjoying a couple bands from that last clan...

March 04, 2021 07:38 PM

I like Sonny's idea but would only suggest that we implement it for The Gateway, The Revolution & The Sphere & only until we get at least two or three legitimate clan members contributing. The move will be purely to gain more internal engagement in these particular playlists. I think we already have a good balance in some of the other playlists like The Fallen & The North & I've just increased the maximum number of clan member submissions for others so I don't feel that they require the additional push as much. I've already picked the tracks for the April The Gateway & The Sphere playlists so we might kick off with The Revolution next month & see what the engagement is like.

In regards to Andi's suggestion, I don't see any reason to limit which clan members are eligible. There's no reason you need to contribute to clans that you aren't interested in.

March 04, 2021 10:12 PM

Unfortunately, The Revolution is probably the clan I know least about, so will probably have to pass. Oh, well!

March 04, 2021 11:03 PM

And yet you've only just listened to the monthly feature release for The Revolution & reported back positively Sonny. That qualifies as having an opinion as far as I can see.

March 05, 2021 07:19 AM

Great idea and will help me broaden my horizons.  I have always held a soft spot for The Gateway as it predominantly caters for a very niche time in my life where I was yet to bury myself in the more extreme genres of metal.  I listen through the playlist for that clan most months already so grateful of the opportunity to contribute as well as continue to explore new bands.  The Sphere and Revolution clans will be on catch up inevitably but planning to take up the option to add my two penneth.

March 05, 2021 03:00 PM

And yet you've only just listened to the monthly feature release for The Revolution & reported back positively Sonny. That qualifies as having an opinion as far as I can see.

Quoted Daniel

I don't think I've explained myself very well. What I mean is, I have very little experience of metalcore and don't see how I could suggest a track for next month's Revolution playlist with any authority. I have heard bands like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall and Dillinger Escape Plan, but I really don't care for them at all. I have the same problem with metalcore as I do with a lot of sludge - the hardcore-influenced vocals. Now I'm well into hardcore punk like Black Flag, Minor Threat and Sick of it All, but I dislike that style of vocal delivery in metal. The reason I enjoyed In Waves so much was because a significant percentage of the vocals were clean sung, enabling me to tolerate the harsh-sung sections more easily. 

Now, the Trance Metal tag interests me much more because I have literally no idea what that is all about, but it sounds intriguing. Could anyone suggest a decent album within that genre that may give me a good idea where to start, then I may possibly find something to suggest there.

March 05, 2021 06:55 PM

I was simply asking why you didn't pick a track from the Trivium album you liked Sonny. Feel free not to though.

If you want to know what trance metal is all about then give Amaranthe's 2014 album "Massive Addictive" a few spins. They're by far & away the most significant & definitive trance metal band.

March 05, 2021 09:10 PM

Yes, well I was wrong. I listened to a few Amaranthe tracks on YouTube and found them to be jaw-droppingly awful. But, that's fine - I somehow don't think a grizzled old cynic like me is their target demographic. As for picking a track from In Waves for next month's playlist, I didn't really think anyone would be interested in listening to a track from the previous month's featured release again so soon. But I pledge that I WILL find a track to suggest sometime during the next week or so.

March 06, 2021 09:04 AM

Yes, well I was wrong. I listened to a few Amaranthe tracks on YouTube and found them to be jaw-droppingly awful. But, that's fine - I somehow don't think a grizzled old cynic like me is their target demographic. As for picking a track from In Waves for next month's playlist, I didn't really think anyone would be interested in listening to a track from the previous month's featured release again so soon. But I pledge that I WILL find a track to suggest sometime during the next week or so.

Quoted Sonny92

Ha ha, I stumbled across Amaranthe yesterday also when exploring the genres of The Revolution clan and have to say I was of the same opinion.

March 06, 2021 11:58 AM

Hahahahaha..... yeah I could have saved you both the trouble as I knew perfectly well that Amaranthe wouldn't be up Sonny's alley (or mine for that matter) but I don't like to put words in people's mouths when it comes to music.

March 06, 2021 12:04 PM
I'm probably the one Metal Academy member who enjoys Amaranthe so much. Of course, they still had several sh*tty stinkers throughout their career, including "that song you gotta avoid at all costs".
March 07, 2021 06:33 AM

As for picking a track from In Waves for next month's playlist, I didn't really think anyone would be interested in listening to a track from the previous month's featured release again so soon.

Quoted Sonny92

I feel a little differently on that topic. I religiously include a track from the monthly feature releases because they're the most listened to releases by each clan in any given month & that works into my ambition to have the playlists reflecting our current listening habits. It's also worth remembering that these playlists are listened to by far more casual Spotify users than they are by our Metal Academy regulars.

March 07, 2021 09:21 AM

Fair point Daniel, in that case I'm probably sorted for a Revolution selection then.

March 07, 2021 09:23 AM

I'm probably the one Metal Academy member who enjoys Amaranthe so much. Of course, they still had several sh*tty stinkers throughout their career, including "that song you gotta avoid at all costs".
Quoted shadowdoom9

What song is that then Andi?

March 13, 2021 11:44 PM

Last day to get your playlist suggestions in guys. Here's the run down of the current allowances (yes I know it's all a bit too complex at the moment but I'm hoping to clean that up after we trial a few things this month):

THE FALLEN: Strictly 30 minutes max. No track number or track length limitations. Clan members only.

THE GATEWAY: Clan members get a maximum of five tracks. Non-clan members get a maximum of one track.

THE GUARDIANS: Clan members get a maximum of five tracks. Clan members only.

THE HORDE: Clan members get a maximum of five tracks. Clan members only.

THE INFINITE: Clan members get a maximum of five tracks. Clan members only.

THE NORTH: Clan members get a maximum of three tracks. Clan members only.

THE PIT: Clan members get a maximum of five tracks. Clan members only.

THE REVOLUTION: Clan members get a maximum of five tracks. Non-clan members get a maximum of one track.

THE SPHERE: Clan members get a maximum of five tracks. Non-clan members get a maximum of one track.

March 18, 2021 10:30 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (March):

1. Fallen playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 5)

2. Guardians playlist - 5/5 (number of songs commented: 8)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 9)

4. Revolution playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 11 (formerly 12))

Another rewarding playlist month for me, though this time it's more about the quality than quantity. The 8 songs in the Guardians playlist I've commented are really awesome, including my own requests, though that's probably my earlier epic metal taste talking. The Fallen and Infinite playlists both have a decent amount of tracks I've commented that are very good. I reviewed a massive amount of tracks in the Revolution playlist, ranging from perfect to good to too incomprehensible for an average 4 stars. I've reviewed 12 songs in the Infinite playlist, but I ending up taking one song off the list of songs I've commented. Still a good month!

March 31, 2021 10:19 PM

Here's the arrangement for next month's playlist suggestions:

THE FALLEN: 24 min each clan member, no track limits

THE GATEWAY: 30 min each clan member, no track limits, one track for non-clan members

THE GUARDIANS: 30 min each clan member, no track limits

THE HORDE: 30 min each clan member, no track limits

THE INFINITE: 30 min each clan member, no track limits

THE NORTH: 24 min each clan member, no track limits

THE PIT: 24 min each clan member, no track limits

THE REVOLUTION: 30 min each clan member, no track limits, one track for non-clan members

THE SPHERE: 30 min each clan member, no track limits, one track for non-clan members

April 01, 2021 12:19 PM

Good arrangement, Daniel! Here are the amounts of songs I'm gonna submit (tomorrow or sometime this weekend or next week) for both clans based on this condition:

The Fallen: 4 tracks in 24 minutes

The Gateway: one track only

The Guardians: 6 tracks in 30 minutes

The Infinite: 5 tracks in 30 minutes

The Revolution: 7 tracks in 30 minutes

The Sphere: one track only

PS: Sonny, I'm sorry to hear that your clans have a shorter time limit for your song submissions, but I wish the best for your songs to be worth those 24 minutes in each clan!