Monthly playlists

August 04, 2021 11:22 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (August):

1. Fallen playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 10)

2. Gateway playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commended: 19)

3. Guardians playlist - 5/5 (number of songs commented: 7)

4. Infinite playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 10)

5. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 11)

Another rewarding playlist month for me, this time my playlist ratings for The Fallen and The Revolution are each an average total of 4.5 stars, The Gateway and The Infinite are each an average 4 stars, and The Guardians playlist has, by average, a perfect 5 stars, though that's probably my earlier epic metal taste talking. Yep, good month! My submission for next month's Gateway playlist coming soon...

September 10, 2021 09:55 PM

Here are the latest adjusted rules for playlist submission:

THE FALLEN: 30 minutes each for clan members only.

THE GATEWAY: 30 minutes each for clan members & one track from non-clan members.

The GUARDIANS: 30 minutes each for clan members only.

THE HORDE: 30 minutes each for clan members only.

THE INFINITE: 30 minutes each for clan members only.

THE NORTH: 20 minutes each for clan members only.

THE PIT: 30 minutes each for clan members only.

THE REVOLUTION: 30 minutes each for clan members & one track from non-clan members.

THE SPHERE: 30 minutes each for clan members & one track from non-clan members.

September 11, 2021 01:55 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (September):

1. Fallen playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 7)

2. Gateway playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commended: 8)

3. Guardians playlist - 5/5 (number of songs commented: 9)

4. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 8)

5. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 9)

6. Sphere playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 5)

Another rewarding playlist month for me, this time my playlist ratings for all the clans I've commented on are each an average total of 4.5 stars, except The Guardians playlist which has, by average, a perfect 5 stars, though that's probably my earlier epic metal taste talking. Yep, good month! While my time in The Fallen is over, I might still comment on a few tracks in future Fallen playlists for the sake of memories. Also it might be a while before I'm ready to post my feature release outcomes, because so far I only reviewed two September feature releases, but maybe I would be up to checking out more of them this month...

October 09, 2021 01:02 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (October):

1. Gateway playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commended: 5)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 6)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 9)

4. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 11)

Another rewarding playlist month for me, this time my playlist ratings for all the clans I've commented on are each an average total of 4.5 stars! It is also the first month that I've never commented on a single part of the Fallen playlist because of my move out of The Fallen, with my move out of gothic/doom metal in general to be announced tomorrow. And yes, I enjoyed the Samael track I've submitted to The Sphere playlist, but my Sphere knowledge still isn't too great, so I'll take a break from making one-track submissions to The Sphere again. Anyway, good month!

November 13, 2021 10:28 PM

Hi everyone. For those that are now managing the monthly playlists for your clans, can I please ask that on the first day of the month you a) create the monthly playlist thread in the associated clan forum & b) add the playlist to the clan's Past Playlist Tracklistings thread. Please try to use the same format we've been using up until now so that it gives us some continuity. The link address for each playlist stays the same from month to month so it's not a huge concern if I haven't swapped out the previous month's list when you post. I'm pretty strict with doing the swaps as soon as I wake up on the first day of the month so it'll be rectified within hours.

November 14, 2021 12:44 AM

That would have to be the first thing I do every month after I wake up which, based on time-zones, is a few hours after you wake up, Daniel, but I shall make those threads!

Also since I'm here, here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (November):

1. Gateway playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 10)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 10)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 17)

4. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 30)

So far, I've only commented on 10 tracks each in the Gateway and Guardians playlists, and while The Gateway playlist is slightly less than the other 3 playlists at just 4 stars, Guardians playlist brings things up to the 4.5 stars that the Infinite and Revolution playlists also have. I've managed to comment on every single track from the Infinite and Revolution playlists! Saxy has done an incredible job assembling this month's Infinite playlist! This tracklisting has encouraged me to go through the entire playlist and find excellent tracks from bands I already listen to along with different bands in which some of them I feel up to trying some more songs from them. I really dig the Revolution playlist that I've made! That opinion might seem bad form, but let me even out by saying that I would recommend any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but wants to get into a great start in enjoy the genre. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting my playlist! I'll privately send you the one for next month and its track listing as soon as I can, along with my Gateway feature release submission. Also it might be a while before I'm ready to post my feature release outcomes, because so far I only reviewed two November feature releases, those being my own submissions, but maybe I would be up to checking out more of them this month. Good work on these playlists, all!

November 28, 2021 07:17 AM

Playlist compilers, please get your playlist links over to me in the next 24 hours so that I'm ready to transfer them into the live playlists on Wednesday morning.

November 30, 2021 07:47 PM

Playlist compilers, I've now updated the tracklistings in each of the clans playlists so please feel free to create the monthly playlist threads & to add the tracklistings to the Past Tracklisting threads in each clan forum at your leisure.

December 13, 2021 02:02 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (December):

1. Gateway playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 7)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 11)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 11)

4. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 28)

So far, I've only commented on 7 tracks in the Gateway playlist and 11 tracks each in the Guardians and Infinite playlists, but I still enjoy the tracks that I had time for, and I'm grateful to Saxy and Xephyr for their playlist works all the same, and of course to Daniel for accepting those playlists. I really dig the Revolution playlist that I've made! That opinion might seem bad form, but let me even out by saying that I would recommend any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but wants to get into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting my playlist! I'll privately send you the one for next month and its track listing as soon as I can, along with my January feature release submissions for that clan and The Guardians. Also it might be a while before I'm ready to post my feature release outcomes, because so far I've only reviewed two of the December feature releases, one of them being my own submission, but maybe I would be up to checking out more of them this month. Good work on these playlists, all!

December 31, 2021 10:17 AM

I listened to five of the playlists this month thanks to a free trial Spotify Premium account and being able to listen to them offline. Here's my thoughts:

The Fallen: as I put this together myself I'll not comment but Ben and Daniel's suggestions were great, especially the Ophis track which led me to my AOTY.

The Pit: High quality generally, but I stil struggle with the groove elements. 4/5

The North: Some great stuff here and three or four that didn't quite do it forme, but strong overall 4/5

The Horde: A mixed bag for me, unsurprisingly. Loved some, hated one. 3.5/5

The Guardians: Sorry, just too much power metal for my taste. Felt like I'd eaten a whole xmas cake by myself in one go! 2/5

December 31, 2021 10:17 PM

The monthly playlists are all updated guys so please feel free to create your new playlist threads & add the January tracklistings to the Past Playlist threads. It's also time to start submitted your track suggestions for the February playlists in the relevant clan forums.

January 13, 2022 12:32 PM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (January):

1. Gateway playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 8)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 9)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 12)

3. Pit playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 12)

So far, I've only commented on 8 tracks in the Gateway playlist, 9 tracks in the Guardians playlist, and 12 tracks each in the Infinite and Pit playlists, but I still enjoy the tracks that I had time for, and I'm grateful to Saxy, Xephyr, Vinny for their playlist works all the same and the former two's approval of me helping with creating the playlist threads, and of course to Daniel for accepting those playlists. I really dig the Revolution playlist that I've made! That opinion might seem bad form, but let me even out by saying that I would recommend any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but wants to get into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting my playlist! Good work on these playlists, all!

February 12, 2022 09:04 PM

I have just been putting some tracks together for the March Fallen playlist and realised that this will be my fifth playlist now and I don't really have any idea how they are being received. I would like to be putting together playlists that A) do The Fallen justice and B) make people want to listen to them. To this end, I wonder if any of you who have listened to any of the four previous Fallen playlists could do me a bit of a solid and let me know if you have any thoughts. I would be particularly interested to know if you think that the genres covered are a good representation of the clan and if each of the eras are covered well enough. Also are the tracks too obscure, too popular or is there a decent ratio of familiar and unknown? Are there too many recent releases or not enough? As there are quite a lot of genres under the Fallen umbrella and it spans a lot of years it is difficult to know if the mix is right and actually compiling the lists makes it hard to look at them critically. I don't want to just produce lists I like myself, but I would like them to be a good advert for the site and for my favourite clan and be of some interest to fans other than myself, so if you could help I would appreciate it. Please be as honest as you can as I just want to improve the playlists and any feedback, negative as well as positive, is good. Anyway, cheers in advance.

February 12, 2022 11:47 PM

I've been putting them on while my wife is out & I'm left to play with the kids solo Sonny. It gives me a break from being so focused & analytical with all of my metal listening & I really enjoy being able to zone in & out without having to worry about missing some significant element. I think The Fallen playlists are going splendidly just quietly. In fact I'd suggest that they're possibly my favourite Metal Academy Radio playlists actually. They're certainly the most consistent (at least they are for me which is likely contributed to by the fact that I enjoy pretty much the whole list of subgenres the clan contains). The appeal has definitely improved since you took over the programming from me too Sonny as it was simply too challenging a task for me to put together nine playlists a month & still maximize their potential. I think we've naturally got a pretty good mix of underground & classic, old school & new due to the listening habits of the three contributors being fairly opposing in that regard. You're doing a good job at including all of the subgenres too. I think there's probably less tracks being included that sit on the fringes of the clan definition now too which is positive in my opinion.

February 14, 2022 10:12 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (February):

1. Gateway playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 11)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 10)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 9)

4. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 27)

So far, I've only commented on 11 tracks in the Gateway playlist, 10 tracks in the Guardians playlist, and 9 tracks in the Infinite playlist, but I still enjoy the tracks that I had time for, and I'm grateful to Saxy and Xephyr for their playlist works all the same, and of course to Daniel for accepting those playlists. I really dig the Revolution playlist that I've made! That opinion might seem bad form, but let me even out by saying that I would recommend any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but wants to get into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting my playlist! Good work on these playlists, all!

February 17, 2022 02:41 AM

Sadly Sonny most of my MA playlist listening happens during workouts, so The Fallen doesn't exactly fit the best, I normally go for my own Guardians, or the Infinite/Horde/Pit. I'll make it a point to check it out by the end of the month to see if I have any feedback.

February 21, 2022 01:46 PM

I have just been putting some tracks together for the March Fallen playlist and realised that this will be my fifth playlist now and I don't really have any idea how they are being received. I would like to be putting together playlists that A) do The Fallen justice and B) make people want to listen to them. To this end, I wonder if any of you who have listened to any of the four previous Fallen playlists could do me a bit of a solid and let me know if you have any thoughts. I would be particularly interested to know if you think that the genres covered are a good representation of the clan and if each of the eras are covered well enough. Also are the tracks too obscure, too popular or is there a decent ratio of familiar and unknown? Are there too many recent releases or not enough? As there are quite a lot of genres under the Fallen umbrella and it spans a lot of years it is difficult to know if the mix is right and actually compiling the lists makes it hard to look at them critically. I don't want to just produce lists I like myself, but I would like them to be a good advert for the site and for my favourite clan and be of some interest to fans other than myself, so if you could help I would appreciate it. Please be as honest as you can as I just want to improve the playlists and any feedback, negative as well as positive, is good. Anyway, cheers in advance.

Quoted Sonny

I do not listen to the playlist Sonny out of a combination of this not being my preferred clan and also just out of sheer lack of time each month.  Logically, I should listen to this ahead of straying into the Revolution or Sphere playlists as I sometimes do.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 21, 2022 07:41 PM

I listen to The Fallen and The Horde (obviously The North as well) every month without fail, and always enjoy them. I definitely feel like The Fallen is in very good hands Sonny, and don't have anything negative to say. I'll try to comment more each month so you have something more constructive.

March 14, 2022 12:27 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (March):

1. Gateway playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 13)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 12)

So far, I've only commented on 13 tracks in the Gateway playlist, 12 tracks in the Guardians playlist, and 11 tracks in the Infinite playlist, but I still enjoy the tracks that I had time for, and I'm grateful to Saxy and Xephyr for their playlist works all the same, and of course to Daniel for accepting those playlists. I really dig the Revolution playlist that I made! That opinion might seem bad form, but let me even out by saying that I would recommend any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but wants to get into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting my playlist! Good work on these playlists, all!

April 01, 2022 10:04 PM

The new playlists have just gone live everyone. Sorry for the delay & appreciate your patience.

April 10, 2022 12:09 PM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (April):

1. Gateway playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 23)

2. Guardians playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 5)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 12)

4. Revolution playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 29)

4. Sphere playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: 17)

So far, I've only commented on 5 tracks in the Guardians playlist, 12 tracks in the Infinite playlist, and 17 tracks in the Sphere playlist, but I still enjoy the tracks that I had time for, and I'm grateful to Saxy, Xephyr, and Daniel for their playlist works all the same. I really dig the Gateway playlist made by Saxy and the Revolution playlist made by me, enough to go through all the tracks! I would recommend them to any alt-metal/metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into those respective genres but wants to get into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting these playlists, and good work all!

July 07, 2022 11:08 AM

Here are my overall ratings for the playlists I've reviewed this month (July):

1. Gateway playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 21)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 5)

3. Infinite playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 17)

4. Revolution playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 30)

4. Sphere playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 24)

So far, I've only commented on 5 tracks in the Guardians playlist, but for my own clans I've listened to the entire playlists! I'm grateful to Saxy, Xephyr, and Daniel for their playlist works. I really dig the Gateway and Infinite playlists made by Saxy and the Revolution and Sphere playlists made by me. I would recommend them to any fan of those respective genres and anyone who isn't into those genres but wants to get into a great start in enjoying them. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting these playlists, and good work all!

August 12, 2022 07:10 AM

1. Gateway playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 21)

2. Guardians playlist - 4.5/5 (number of songs commented: 6)

4. Revolution playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 30)

4. Sphere playlist - 4/5 (number of songs commented: ALL 27)

So far, I've only commented on 5 tracks in the Guardians playlist and 11 tracks in the Infinite playlist, but for the other 3 of my own clans I've listened to the entire playlists! I'm grateful to Saxy, Xephyr, and Daniel for their playlist works. I really dig the Gateway playlist made by Saxy and the Revolution and Sphere playlists made by me. I recommend them to any fan of those respective genres and anyone who isn't into those genres but wants to get into a great start in enjoying them. Thanks, Daniel, for accepting these playlists, and good work all!

September 01, 2022 12:37 AM

All nine September Spotify playlists are now up guys.