"The Roots of Metal" Project

January 13, 2024 08:52 PM

Today's track is Pentagram's "20 Buck Spin". It's built on a blues rock riff that's then expanded into extended bluesy pentatonic guitar solos so, despite it being quite heavy, it still doesn't make it out of the hard rock space in my opinion.

January 14, 2024 04:46 PM

Yeah, a great song no doubt, but definitely too bluesy to be considered metal. Doesn't sound a million miles away from Cream playing live in my opinion.

January 14, 2024 07:33 PM

The final track from the "Bias Studio Recordings" demo is "Review Your Choices" which I'd suggest sits somewhere between stoner rock & stoner metal as it sports a groovy doom metal riff & a psychedelic solo accompanied by a mixture of crunchy hard rock open chords & darker metallic power chords.

So... that leaves me with a result of 28% metal for the release overall which isn't enough to qualify as metal by the criteria agreed at the beginning of this exercise. It was nice to see a non-Black Sabbath release giving it a shake nonetheless though. Tomorrow we'll be starting on Buffalo's 1973 "Volcanic Rock" sophomore album.

January 15, 2024 06:33 PM

This morning's track is the opening track from the 1973 "Volcanic Rock" sophomore album from Sydney's Buffalo which I consider to be heavy metal:

January 16, 2024 03:26 PM

A couple of days behind:

Pentagram - "Review Your Choices" - Starts off very stoner rock, but the final two-thirds has a much more metal feel to it. Borderline metal as a whole for me.

Buffalo - "Sunrise (Come My Way)" - This is a  great album and has been a favourite of mine for a while. Sure this opener has some rockiness, but this feels a lot heavier than most of the band's contemporaries (Sabbath aside) and I feel there is enough in that infectious riff and the guitar soloing for it to qualify as a genuine metal track - and what a cracker it is!

January 16, 2024 07:15 PM

Today's track is Buffalo's "Freedom" which I wouldn't say is metal but I would claim as one of the very finest heavy psych tracks ever recorded & a true pinnacle of Australian rock music:

January 17, 2024 06:58 PM

Today's track is Buffalo's "Till My Death" which I would suggest is simply hard rock:

January 18, 2024 06:55 PM

Today's track is Buffalo's "The Prophet" which I've tagged as being heavy psych.

January 19, 2024 06:20 PM

Today's track is Buffalo's "Pound of Flesh" which I regard as sitting between blues rock & heavy psych:

January 20, 2024 02:37 PM

Catching up, so I will cover the rest of the album:

"Freedom" - a hypnotic, psychedelic feeling to this one that definitely sees it sitting comfortably under the heavy psych umbrella. Zero metal.

"'Til My Death" - heavy blues rock definitely. Metal content - 0.

"The Prophet" - heavy for sure, but metal, no. Heavy psych / hard rock for me.

"Pound of Flesh" - Heavy psych, almost super-heavy acid rock. Nil metal.

"Shylock" - You know what, I'm gonna go 50/50, heavy metal / heavy psych on this one.That main riff is real Sabbathy, not unlike Symptom of the Universe.

Overall I make that 20% metal, so not really metal for our purposes - still a great record though.

January 20, 2024 02:42 PM

Just seen that there is a live version of the album on Spotify, released in 2022:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5r7aBYAGFpHNKJSfNOVJfS

January 20, 2024 06:29 PM

"Shylock" - You know what, I'm gonna go 50/50, heavy metal / heavy psych on this one.That main riff is real Sabbathy, not unlike Symptom of the Universe.

Overall I make that 20% metal, so not really metal for our purposes - still a great record though.

Quoted Sonny

I'm gonna go with heavy metal for "Shylock" which sees "Volcanic Rock" finishing with just the two metal tracks for mine & I agree that it's not enough to qualify. Tomorrow we're gonna start our next release in Black Sabbath's classic 1973 fifth album "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath".

January 21, 2024 06:58 PM

Today's song is the title track from Black Sabbath;s classic 1973 fifth album "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" which I regard as being heavy metal:

January 22, 2024 12:46 AM

I sense so many early traces of what would become hair metal in this song.

January 22, 2024 07:07 PM

This morning's track is Black Sabbath's "A National Acrobat" which I'd suggest sits best under the stoner metal tag:

January 23, 2024 06:57 PM

This morning's track is Black Sabbath's "Fluff" which I'd suggest fits best under the chamber folk tag:

Also, I checked out Bang's 1973 third album "Music" this morning & there's no metal there whatsoever. In fact there's really very little hard rock either. It sits in between rock, soft rock & progressive rock in roughly equal portions in my opinion so we won't be investigating it in this exercise.

January 24, 2024 01:55 AM

A National Acrobat is right between stoner rock and stoner metal for me.  But there's really no debating Fluff.  Another standard 70's folk song.

January 24, 2024 07:14 PM

Today's track is Black Sabbath's "Sabbra Cadabra" which I consider to be hard rock:

January 25, 2024 07:41 PM

Today's track is Black Sabbath's "Killing Yourself To Live" which is a really difficult one to categorize. It's certainly more rock than it is metal but the chorus & solo section are so critical to the way the song plays out that I've allowed it to qualify as metal regardless. I'm going with a multi-tag arrangement of heavy metal, hard rock & stoner rock.

January 26, 2024 06:52 PM

Today's track is Black Sabbath's "Who Are You? which I would suggest is symphonic prog:

January 26, 2024 09:20 PM

I checked out Thin Lizzy's 1973 third album "Vagabonds of the Western World" this morning & didn't find any metal to speak of there. I'd suggest that it's a hard rock record with blues rock & funk rock influences so we won't be investigating it in this exercise.

January 27, 2024 12:07 AM

Don't waste your time with examining early Thin Lizzy.  Great band, but very little metal influence.  Now I've only gotten up to Black Rose, but from what RYM says, they took the jump in heaviness in 1980 and their final album was the only metal one.  Although this song jams harder than most heavy metal songs of those two decades.

January 27, 2024 03:09 AM

I'm aware of that Rex. I'm actually conducting this exercise as a part of another initiative I'm looking at doing in the future though & it's important that I check out or revisit all of these proto-metal records if I'm gonna make a good fist of that. And for the record, I don't think "Thunder & Lightning" is a metal record either just quietly.

January 27, 2024 07:24 PM

Today's track is Black Sabbath's "Looking For Today" which I'd suggest is simply hard rock: