"The Roots of Metal" Project

February 16, 2024 06:49 PM

Today's track is Cool Feet's "Hello Lucy" which I'd suggest is hard rock:

February 17, 2024 07:25 PM

This morning's track is Cool Feet's "In The City" which I consider to be heavy metal:

February 17, 2024 09:03 PM

Lucifer's Friend's 1974 fourth album "Banquet" offers no metal (or hard rock for that matter) whatsoever. It's an extraordinarily expansive & experimental take on progressive rock which showcases strong jazz-rock influences. It's really very hard to see any links to the band that created 1970's hard rocking self-titled album at this point.

February 18, 2024 07:12 PM

This morning's track is Cool Feet's "The Fool" which I'd suggest is hard rock:

February 18, 2024 08:03 PM

There's no metal on Deep Purple's 1974 eighth album "Burn", including the title track which inexplicably seems to attract a heavy metal tag from many people. It's a hard rock record with progressive rock influences.

February 19, 2024 06:17 PM

This morning's track is Cool Feet's "Now I Know I'm Free" which I'd suggest is pop rock. It's not available on YouTube but can be found on Spotify.

February 20, 2024 07:01 PM

This morning's track is Cool Feet's "Alone In Your Cage" which I regard as being progressive rock.

This rounds out the "Burning Desire" album which has finished with a 34% metal/66% rock ratio which isn't enough to qualify it as metal. Tomorrow we'll be kicking off a new release in Judas Priest's classic 1976 sophomore album "Sad Wings of Destiny" so please feel free to join in on the discussion.

February 21, 2024 07:20 PM

This morning's track is Judas Priest's classic opener from "Sad Wings of Destiny" in "Victim of Changes" which is undeniably heavy metal:

February 22, 2024 12:13 AM

Undoubtedly metal. Is the metal status of an album with this, The Ripper, Tyrant and Genocide on it really in doubt?

February 22, 2024 06:18 PM

Apparently it is if past experiences on this website are anything to go by Sonny with at least one semi-regular member having questioned its metal credentials at one point or another.

Anyway, today's track is "The Ripper" which is clearly heavy metal.

February 22, 2024 11:46 PM

Anyway, today's track is "The Ripper" which is clearly heavy metal.

Quoted Daniel

Defo. 

February 23, 2024 07:16 PM

This morning's track is Judas Priest's "Dreamer Deceiver" which I'd suggest is progressive rock:

Also, I checked out Rush's 1974 self-titled debut album over the last few days & there's no metal whatsoever there. It's purely a hard rock record in my opinion.

February 24, 2024 06:08 PM

Today's track is Judas Priest's "Deceiver" which I consider to be heavy metal:

February 24, 2024 08:00 PM

Is the metal status of an album with this, The Ripper, Tyrant and Genocide on it really in doubt?

Quoted Sonny

I would suggest that most of the A side is clear cut with the three of the four songs being clear examples of heavy metal but, upon revisiting the album in great detail over the past week, I've found that the B side is nowhere near as cut & dry.

February 24, 2024 08:50 PM

Is the metal status of an album with this, The Ripper, Tyrant and Genocide on it really in doubt?

Quoted Sonny

I would suggest that most of the A side is clear cut with the three of the four songs being clear examples of heavy metal but, upon revisiting the album in great detail over the past week, I've found that the B side is nowhere near as cut & dry.

Quoted Daniel

I would say Tyrant, Genocide and Island of Domination are metal so, for what it's worth, in my opinion, Sad Wings is defintely a metal album. We aren't seriously considering this to be non-metal are we, that would be revisionism gone too far for me to take I think.

Interestingly, for those who don't know, due to a pressing error, sides A and B were reversed from how the band intended and if you play side B then side A the album seems to flow better.

February 24, 2024 09:07 PM

We aren't seriously considering this to be non-metal are we, that would be revisionism gone too far for me to take I think.

Quoted Sonny

Hahahaha.... let's not jump the gun as I never said that.

February 25, 2024 06:56 PM

This morning's track is Judas Priest's "Prelude" which I feel is best served by a dual tag of classical music & art rock.

February 26, 2024 08:41 PM

I'm sure I'll annoy a few of you with this morning's hot take but I believe Judas Priest's "Tyrant" offers as much in the way of hard rock as it does heavy metal so I'm going with a dual tagging. The verses & guitar solo section are clearly metal but the rest is decidedly grey, particularly the intro, choruses & bridge along with the performance of the rhythm section being predominantly rock based.

February 27, 2024 06:59 PM

This morning's track is Judas Priest's "Genocide" &, at the risk of retaliation, I'm gonna have to suggest that you have to wait until right at the end for the climax & fade-out section before you get any legitimate metal on this one. It sounds much closer to AC/DC than it does to Iron Maiden for mine so I have go with my heart & say that it's predominantly a hard rock tune.

February 27, 2024 09:19 PM

I don't have enough technical knowledge to debate this, so will have to take your word for it, Daniel. I suppose in another five or ten years somebody will be telling me Ride the Lightning and Show No Mercy aren't metal.

February 27, 2024 11:28 PM

I'm just gonna say it: Black Sabbath were already heavier than tSad Wings on their barely-metal debut album.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 28, 2024 01:04 AM

Daniel's comment initially made me wonder whether he'd finally gone insane, but I just listened to the track and there really is very little in the way of metal. If this is metal, then yes, AC/DC is too.

And don't worry Sonny, Slayer at the very least will always be fucking metal!

February 28, 2024 05:36 PM

Daniel's comment initially made me wonder whether he'd finally gone insane, but I just listened to the track and there really is very little in the way of metal. If this is metal, then yes, AC/DC is too.

And don't worry Sonny, Slayer at the very least will always be fucking metal!

Quoted Ben

One of the first songs I think of when I think about "metal riffs" is Silent Scream.

February 28, 2024 10:17 PM

Today's track is Judas Priest's "Epitaph" which I'd suggest fits comfortably enough under an art pop tag: