Track Of The Day - The Gateway Edition

First Post December 07, 2019 07:41 PM

Tell us what track is ticking your boxes today. 

January 07, 2020 08:08 AM

A prime time Californian alternative metal anthem.

January 07, 2020 10:21 AM

My brother is, like I said before, a fan of hard rock and alternative metal, and one of the bands he listens to is Lacuna Coil. I also started listening to this band a few years ago after finding out that band's female vocalist Cristina Scabbia was in The Theory of Everything by progressive rock/metal project Ayreon, and that's what made me interested in Lacuna Coil, and for the first time, gothic metal. Here's one of the songs from their alt-metal present:

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
January 07, 2020 10:59 PM

I was a big fan of Lacuna Coil in their gothic metal period, but my interest quickly waned when they switched to alternative.

It has to be said that Cristina is one of the sexiest women in metal.

July 09, 2020 07:28 AM

Deftones at their gazy and sultry best from White Pony.

July 09, 2020 12:43 PM

Yeah I'm a huge fan of "Digital Bath". It's an absolute belter from a genuinely classic album. It's Deftones best record too & is one of the highlights of the alternative metal subgenre overall in my opinion.

July 10, 2020 11:54 AM

An excellent epic from one of the more mainstream alt-prog metal bands, Tool. By the power of Fibonacci!

July 10, 2020 08:39 PM

Yep. "Lateralus" is a absolute masterclass. I adore it! In saying that though it's probably not one of my favourites from the album which is a strong indication of just how amazing that record was. My personal highlights are "Schism", "The Grudge", "The Patient", "Reflection" & "Triad" .

July 10, 2020 11:16 PM

My personal highlights are "Schism", "The Grudge", "The Patient", "Reflection" & "Triad" .

Quoted Daniel

Those are some of my personal highlights too! "Schism" and "Triad" are good, but in my opinion, not as awesome as the other three.

July 11, 2020 12:18 PM

I don't have time for much of this album but this track and We Die Young are timeless for me.  The tone of Cantrell's guitar on the lead section is fucking amazing and the emotion behind Stayley's vocals is raw and overt without being crass.

July 11, 2020 12:49 PM

Yeah it's certainly the highlight of the album & was my introduction to Alice In Chains.I think "Facelift" is a very solid debut but there's no doubt that it fades a little in the back end which prevents it from achieving the classic status it seemed to be heading towards during the A side. I'd throw "Love, Hate, Love" in with the opening two tracks as genuine grunge classics & I love "Sea of Sorrow" & "It Ain't Like That" too. I don't think there's anything disastrous included but songs like "Put You Down", "I Know Somethin (Bout You)" & "Real Thing" are more acceptable than they are essential. It's  4/5 record for mine.

December 04, 2020 10:36 PM

The stunning opening track from the latest album from these Californian alternative metal heavy-weights.

January 09, 2021 08:30 PM

What a stunning example of high class alternative metal with a progressive attitude! For fans of Tool, Deftones & Opeth.

February 07, 2021 11:52 AM

A ripper of a Californian alternative metal anthem.

February 07, 2021 11:31 PM

I have not listened to that Deftones album or any of their albums entirely, but I remember a song and music video that I watched on TV 5 years ago that are both pretty cool:

February 13, 2021 05:50 AM

Nothing like a good journey through the memory lane of the alt-metal bands my brother and I used to listen to before I got into "real" metal. The first band to start my journey is the largely successful Linkin Park. While some songs are a bit weak, I definitely enjoy their first two albums' perfectly chosen singles for their first two albums like this one:

I also like a few of their non-single songs from those albums as well, here are a couple of them:

March 17, 2021 11:27 AM

It might be commercially successful but this Linkin Park mega-hit still really does it for me. For fans of Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach & P.O.D.

March 17, 2021 11:35 AM

It might be commercially successful but this Linkin Park mega-hit still really does it for me. For fans of Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach & P.O.D.

Quoted Daniel

Where did I hear this song before?... Oh yeah, SO D*MN MANY TIMES!!! But that's OK, because I definitely believe "Numb" is Linkin Park's ultimate anthem!

April 11, 2021 02:26 AM

This track was comfortably the highlight of Devin Townsend Project's alternative metal focused 2009 "Addicted" album in my opinion. The chorus hook is nothing short of spectacular & the way to song-writing builds up to a spine-tingling wall-of-sound crescendo pretty much blew my mind.

April 11, 2021 10:01 AM

This track was comfortably the highlight of Devin Townsend Project's alternative metal focused 2009 "Addicted" album in my opinion. The chorus hook is nothing short of spectacular & the way to song-writing builds up to a spine-tingling wall-of-sound crescendo pretty much blew my mind.

Quoted Daniel

One of the few true highlights of the album for me! I definitely enjoy the serene beauty of Anneke van Giersbergen complimenting Devin's melody-craft.

May 12, 2021 11:39 AM

Intense metalcore from Liverpool-based alternative metalcore outfit Loathe. For fans of 36 Crazyfists, early Issues & the last couple of Northlane albums.

May 14, 2021 11:37 AM

Intense metalcore from Liverpool-based alternative metalcore outfit Loathe. For fans of 36 Crazyfists, early Issues & the last couple of Northlane albums.

Quoted Daniel

I checked out this track, and let me tell you, IT'S F***ING KILLER!! They have their own unique alt-metalcore style going on throughout the song, but the intro is a blast of Enslaved-like black metal, and the song ends with Deftones-ish soft ambience. I still look forward to giving the rest of this album a listen!

June 02, 2021 11:41 AM

Thanks Ben for adding Linkin Park's The Hunting Party album to the site, and sorry you had to go to the pain of adding their non-metal albums in between to bridge the gap. Behold the last ever song I've heard from Linkin Park in my brother's alt-rock/metal footsteps before fading out into my "real" metal interest. I still love it to this day because of how metal it is!

June 04, 2021 12:17 PM

Linkin Park began their highly successful discography with the EP released when they still had the name Hybrid Theory, and it shines with a few killer songs like this one: