Metal Academy Radio Playlist Suggestions - The Fallen Edition

October 17, 2023 04:23 AM

How about October Noir - Burn?

Quoted Morpheus Kitami

Can you provide the album and year for any suggestions please Morpheus.

October 17, 2023 02:56 PM

It's from their 2019 album, Thirteen.

October 17, 2023 03:17 PM

It's from their 2019 album, Thirteen.

Quoted Morpheus Kitami

Cheers.

November 01, 2023 11:29 AM

Here are my submissions for the December playlist Sonny:

Black Sabbath - "Black Sabbath" (from "Black Sabbath", 1970)

Plateau Sigma - "Maira & the Archangel" (from "White Wings of Nightmares", 2013)

Sir Lord Baltimore - "Kingdom Come" (from "Kingdom Come", 1970)

November 01, 2023 11:30 AM

For December please:

Candlemass - "Dark Are the Veils of Death" (from "Nightfall", 1987)

KEN mode - "A Reluctance of Being" (from "VOID", 2023)

November 01, 2023 11:34 AM

Here are my submissions for the December playlist Sonny:

Black Sabbath - "Black Sabbath" (from "Black Sabbath", 1970)

Plateau Sigma - "Maira & the Archangel" (from "White Wings of Nightmares", 2013)

Sir Lord Baltimore - "Kingdom Come" (from "Kingdom Come", 1970)

Quoted Daniel

As neither Sabbath's debut nor  Kingdom Come are actually in The Fallen, do you think they are suitable for inclusion in a playlist designed to showcase that clan's output, Daniel.  If so, then fine, but I myself have doubts about that being the way forward for the playlist.

November 01, 2023 12:20 PM

It's an interesting question Sonny. Personally, I see no problem with selecting one-off tracks that I feel fall comfortably into different clans than the album they're drawn from. In this case I feel that our The Fallen members are the most likely to enjoy them so it makes sense to me. I mean, what's the point of including them in a The Guardians playlist when they'll sound a bit out of place & are better suited to another clan? If you disagree that these tracks are traditional doom metal & stoner metal respectively then you're free to omit them. I've always left it up to the playlist owners to make the final call uncontested on these things.

For the record though, I firmly believe that the "Black Sabbath" album is better suited to The Fallen than The Guardians anyway. There's currently a Hall of Judgement poll running for it.

November 01, 2023 12:35 PM

It's an interesting question Sonny. Personally, I see no problem with selecting one-off tracks that I feel fall comfortably into different clans than the album they're drawn from. In this case I feel that our The Fallen members are the most likely to enjoy them so it makes sense to me. I mean, what's the point of including them in a The Guardians playlist when they'll sound a bit out of place & are better suited to another clan? If you disagree that these tracks are traditional doom metal & stoner metal respectively then you're free to omit them. I've always left it up to the playlist owners to make the final call uncontested on these things.

For the record though, I firmly believe that the "Black Sabbath" album is better suited to The Fallen than The Guardians anyway. There's currently a Hall of Judgement poll running for it.

Quoted Daniel

OK fair enough. I just thought it was a point worth making.

November 01, 2023 07:21 PM

I actually took a similar position to yourself on this topic to begin with Sonny. It wasn't until Vinny submitted a couple of tracks from releases taken from outside the designated clans that I started to question myself. I think they might have been thrash tracks from death metal releases from memory. Upon listening to the tracks in question I found myself struggling to disagree with him that they fit nicely on the relevant playlist & I thought it a shame not to include them given that they wouldn't fit comfortably on their own clan's playlists so would essentially be ineligible for inclusion on ANY playlist. So I decided to relax my position on the topic & these days I have much more of a problem with the occasional incident where people select a track from a The Fallen album that very clearly doesn't sound like The Fallen so will essentially dilute the playlist. I think that's much more of a problem personally.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
November 01, 2023 09:10 PM

There is a danger here in that we're opening things up to people incorrectly requesting tracks that shouldn't be there. I would have thought that it would be better to restrict selections by album clan, rather than individual tracks, which is purely subjective.

November 01, 2023 09:39 PM

As there is a bit of a difference in opinion between the two of you on this subject, is there any chance of a definitive directive, or shall I just include or exclude suggestions as I see fit at the risk of upsetting the submitter of any questionable tracks.

By the way, if anyone feels that I have included tracks that don't belong on a Fallen playlist, please speak up, so that I know what people expect to hear.

November 02, 2023 10:42 AM

I spoke to Ben about it this afternoon & we're comfortable for you to follow whatever direction you'd like on this topic as long as you're consistent Sonny.

November 02, 2023 11:00 AM

I spoke to Ben about it this afternoon & we're comfortable for you to follow whatever direction you'd like on this topic as long as you're consistent Sonny.

Quoted Daniel

OK, similar to the Nile track last month, I will include them, but I would rather submissions from albums not in the actual clan in question were a rare occurrence rather than a regular thing if that's all right.

November 02, 2023 11:09 AM

Fair enough. FYI I had two other tracks listed as potential for December but I didn't feel that they were quite as strong as the Black Sabbath & Sir Lord Baltimore songs so they didn't make the cut. Feel free to swap those out with either (or both) of these if you'd prefer to go that way:

Trouble - "A Sinner's Fame" (from "Trouble", 1990) [Stoner metal]

Darkthrone - "Forest of Darkness" (from "Frostland Tapes", 2008) [Death doom metal]

November 13, 2023 11:12 AM

Hey Ben, have you any suggestions for next month's playlist?

Ben
Ben
November 14, 2023 02:10 AM

Yes please.

Dream Unending - If Not Now When off Starpath split with Worm (2023)

Mother of Graves - Of Solitude and Stone off Where the Shadows Adorn (2022)

Thanks Sonny!

December 01, 2023 09:03 AM

January please:

Obscure Sphinx - "Nothing Left" (from "Epitaphs", 2016)

Hexvessel - "Ring" (from "Polar Veil", 2023)

December 01, 2023 11:01 AM

Here's my January submissions Sonny:

Cathedral - "Ebony Tears" (from "In Memoriam" demo, 1990)

diSEMBOWELMENT - "Extracted Nails" (from "Mourning September" demo, 1990) [Can be found on the 2005 "diSEMBOWELMENT" compilation]

December 03, 2023 06:06 PM

My suggestions for the next playlist:
Lord Vigo - Eternal Saviour (off Blackbourne Souls)
Ningen-Isu - 鬼  (off 修羅囃子)

December 03, 2023 08:38 PM

Quoted Morpheus Kitami

The Ningen-Isu album is in The Guardians and not The Fallen, so I cannot accept that suggestion, Morpheus, but the Lord Vigo has been added.

December 04, 2023 05:42 PM

Quoted Morpheus Kitami

The Ningen-Isu album is in The Guardians and not The Fallen, so I cannot accept that suggestion, Morpheus, but the Lord Vigo has been added.

Quoted Sonny

Hasn't this argument already happened? It's a Fallen track from a generally Fallen band.

December 04, 2023 07:28 PM

Morpheus, Ben & I decided that we'd leave it up to the playlist owner to decide on which way they'd go with that argument. Sonny elected not to consider material from releases that don't reside in The Fallen. Other playlist owners have gone another way with their respective clans which is ok too.

December 13, 2023 02:57 PM

Ben, do you have any suggestions for January's playlist?

Ben
Ben
December 13, 2023 07:50 PM

Yes please!

Remina - The Endless City off Strata (2022)

Convocation - Procession off No Dawn for the Caliginous Night (2023)

Thanks as always Sonny.