Metal Academy Radio Playlist Suggestions - The Fallen Edition

October 09, 2020 11:49 AM

Here are my suggestions for November's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Cult of Luna - "Ghost Trail" (from Eternal Kingdom, 2008)

Katatonia - "Saw You Drown" (from Discouraged Ones, 1998)

Tiamat - "Cain" (from Prey, 2003)

October 10, 2020 03:19 PM

We've had nothing from Reverend Bizarre yet, so how about The Devil Rides Out from II: Crush the Insects?

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
October 11, 2020 11:48 PM

Making sure I get in this month... 

1. Void of Silence - Opus II: With No Half-Measure from Criteria ov 666 (2002)
  2. Theatre of Tragedy - Venus from Aégis (1998)
  3. Evoken - In Pestilence, Burning from Quietus (2001)
Ben
Ben
November 11, 2020 04:03 AM

I'm inspired to get my entries in early this month to make sure Draconian's latest albums gets a look in. What a fantastic album! Sonny, I'd be surprised if you didn't dig the track I've selected.

1. Draconian - Ascend into Darkness from Under a Godless Veil (2020)

2. Solitude Aeturnus - Opaque Divinity from Into the Depths of Sorrow (1991)

3. Evoken - In Pestilence, Burning from Quietus (2001)

November 11, 2020 04:58 AM

You're in luck Ben. I've managed to fit them all in.

For everyone else, the November quota for these subgenres is already full:

Southern metal

Traditional doom metal

Drone metal

Funeral doom metal

Death doom metal

Gothic metal

There's still availability in these areas though:

Atmospheric sludge metal

Doom metal

Sludge metal

Stoner metal

November 11, 2020 07:30 AM

Here are my suggestions for December's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Cult of Luna / Julie Christmas - "Cygnus" (from Mariner, 2016) (Get it?? Christmas? Because it will be December? I think that song would fit as the final track of the December playlist to conclude the year.)

Lacuna Coil - "Heaven's a Lie" (from Comalies, 2002) (Only if there's room for one more gothic metal song. If not, please save it for a future playlist.)

My Dying Bride - "Sear Me III" (from The Light at the End of the World, 1999) (I was gonna pick the original "Sear Me" from their debut, but since the death-doom quota is full, I decided to suggest its doom metal incarnation instead.)

November 11, 2020 06:21 PM

So, Daniel, when you say the quota for death doom is full, do you mean gothic death doom or old-school death doom? Another annoying sub-genre is traditional doom metal, a genre that has become so misused on RYM I now ignore it and actively vote against it whenever possible.

Anyway, playlist suggestions for next month:

Monolord - Died A Million Times - Vaenir (2015) - Doom Metal

The Lumberjack Feedback - New Order (of the Ages) Part II  - Mere Mortals  (2019) - Atmospheric Sludge Metal

Robots of the Ancient World - High & Drive - Cosmic Riders (2019) - Stoner Metal

November 12, 2020 06:44 AM

So, Daniel, when you say the quota for death doom is full, do you mean gothic death doom or old-school death doom? Another annoying sub-genre is traditional doom metal, a genre that has become so misused on RYM I now ignore it and actively vote against it whenever possible.

Quoted Sonny92

I meant doom death metal as a whole Sonny. I haven't had a chance to listen to your inclusion from The Drowning yet so I'm not sure what side of the fence it falls on. Presumably the old school one knowing your taste.

I can understand your opinion with the traditional doom metal tag. I share it to an extent. In fact, Ben & I have never really seen the need for the tag in the first place. It's either doom metal or it's not as far as I'm concerned.

November 12, 2020 03:32 PM

According to RYM the sub-genres of doom metal are death doom, funeral doom and so-called traditional doom. So if it's not death or funeral doom it's traditional. In other words it is JUST FUCKIN' DOOM!!!! 

Ben
Ben
November 12, 2020 07:53 PM

According to RYM the sub-genres of doom metal are death doom, funeral doom and so-called traditional doom. So if it's not death or funeral doom it's traditional. In other words it is JUST FUCKIN' DOOM!!!! 

Quoted Sonny92

Yep. Which is why I'm ignoring Traditional Doom Metal when creating the subgenres. It's a pet hate of mine too.

December 12, 2020 07:01 AM

Here are my suggestions for January's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

After Forever - "Beyond Me" (from Prison of Desire, 2000)

Anathema - "Far Away" (from Eternity, 1996)

Officium Triste - "Your Eyes" (from Giving Yourself Away, 2007)

December 13, 2020 02:03 PM

Suggestions for January:

Thorr's Hammer: Troll from Dommedagsnatt  (1996)

Saint Vitus: Bitter Truth from Mournful Cries (1988)

Burning Witch: Sacred Predictions from Crippled Lucifer (1998)

Ben
Ben
December 14, 2020 03:06 AM

Slumber - Rapture from Fallout (2004)

Ahab - Below the Sun from The Call of the Wretched Sea (2006)

Moonspell - Nocturna from Darkness and Hope (2001)

January 11, 2021 11:10 AM

Here are my suggestions for February's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Draconian - "The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight" (from A Rose for the Apocalypse, 2011)

The Ocean - "Devonian: Nascent" (from Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic, 2018)

Theatre of Tragedy - "Cassandra" (from Aegis, 1998)

Ben
Ben
January 14, 2021 09:07 PM

Skepticism - The March and the Stream from Lead and Aether (1997)

Saturnus - A Poem (Written in Moonlight) from Martyr (2000)

Third and the Mortal - Trial of Past from Tears Laid in Earth (1994)

February 10, 2021 01:48 AM

Here are my suggestions for March's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Katatonia - "Velvet Thorns (of Drynwhyl)" (from Dance of December Souls, 1993)

My Dying Bride - "For You" (from Like Gods of the Sun, 1996)

Paradise Lost - "Victim of the Past" (from The Plague Within, 2015)

Ben
Ben
February 13, 2021 11:03 PM

Tiamat - Whatever That Hurts from Wildhoney (1994)

Nortt - Til Gravens Vi from Galgenfrist (2007)

Burning Witch - Sacred Predictions from Crippled Lucifer (1998)

March 04, 2021 07:53 PM

Hi everyone. We're going to trial something a little different for the April playlist. Instead of limiting you all to a maximum number of track submissions, we're going to try something that Sonny & I have been discussing by limiting each of you to 30 minutes of music. We have four contributing clan members so that should work nicely. Also, I'm not going to limit you to a maximum track duration for this month & we'll see how it turns out.

March 04, 2021 10:15 PM

Nice one Daniel! I'm looking forward to it already.

March 05, 2021 07:33 PM

Are we only using the time limit for The Fallen's playlist next month?

March 05, 2021 08:50 PM
Yeah I just wanna see how it works out to start with Sonny. I'm expecting that we'll see a couple of members choosing the same band at some point which will mean that I'll need to ask someone to replace one of their tracks with something else of the same length. It may shit people a little bit, particularly if it's a very lengthy track that takes up a significant portion of their run time. I'm also wondering if we're gonna see the playlists being dominated by the same bands/subgenres/eras or with too high a ratio of classics but that could occur with the increased track limit in some of the other clans anyway. I don't see that we can get around that as I have no intention of telling people what to submit. It needs to be more organic than that. One thing I will say though is that I hope people try to make their submissions a genuine reflection of their listening habits from the previous month (wherever possible) rather than simply picking old favourites. I really like the idea of each month's playlist being a snap shot of the clan's movements at that particular point in time.
March 05, 2021 09:04 PM

Yeah I agree. There is always a danger that the playlists may become a "greatest hits" sort of thing, but with the current participating membership I think that to be unlikely.

March 06, 2021 07:20 PM

My suggestions for the April Fallen playlist:

Subrosa - Ghosts of a Dead Empire (11:04) from More Constant Than the Gods (2013)

Spelljammer - Abyssal Trip (10:38) from Abyssal Trip (2021)

Acid Mammoth - Berserker (5:01) from Caravan (2021)

Tar Hag - Elder Cloak (2:59) from Elder Cloak EP (2017)

Total Runtime - 29:42

March 06, 2021 11:05 PM

I'm also wondering if we're gonna see the playlists being dominated by the same bands/subgenres/eras or with too high a ratio of classics but that could occur with the increased track limit in some of the other clans anyway. I don't see that we can get around that as I have no intention of telling people what to submit. It needs to be more organic than that. One thing I will say though is that I hope people try to make their submissions a genuine reflection of their listening habits from the previous month (wherever possible) rather than simply picking old favourites. I really like the idea of each month's playlist being a snap shot of the clan's movements at that particular point in time.
Quoted Daniel

While the number of participants is low, then there probably is a chance that some subgenres may be left out. If the desire is genuinely for the clan members to base their submissions on their previous month's listening habits, this is very likely. In The Fallen, for example, I don't believe there are any active contributors who listen to massive amounts of drone metal on a regular basis, so there may only be infrequent submissions from the genre. The only real alternative I can see is to leave a block of time for tracks to be shoehorned in from any subgenres that may have been under-represented, but then this would no longer make the playlist a snapshot of the clan's current listening habits. It's a tricky balancing act for sure.