Make a recommendation to a fellow member of The Horde

September 18, 2021 06:28 AM

Qrixkuor - Poison Palinopsia (2021)

So 2021 has gotten to the point where I'm checking out things very outside of my wheelhouse, and this one was one of the standouts that definitely wasn't for me but at the same time I could feel like there was something there. I'm going to have to spend some more time with this one as it's extremely dense and long, with the album consisting of two 24-minute tracks.

I'd be really interested to see how Daniel and Vinny feel about this one, since it's pretty dense and somewhat similar to this month's feature album minus all of the Drone Metal leanings, replaced with more atmospheric passages. It's a 3/5 for me after one listen but I can see it gaining some stock if I give it another shot. 

September 18, 2021 06:58 AM

I actually included one of the tracks from this album in the October playlist a few days ago Xephyr.

September 18, 2021 12:38 PM

Qrixkuor - Poison Palinopsia (2021)

So 2021 has gotten to the point where I'm checking out things very outside of my wheelhouse, and this one was one of the standouts that definitely wasn't for me but at the same time I could feel like there was something there. I'm going to have to spend some more time with this one as it's extremely dense and long, with the album consisting of two 24-minute tracks.

I'd be really interested to see how Daniel and Vinny feel about this one, since it's pretty dense and somewhat similar to this month's feature album minus all of the Drone Metal leanings, replaced with more atmospheric passages. It's a 3/5 for me after one listen but I can see it gaining some stock if I give it another shot. 

Quoted Xephyr

I am familiar with the band but haven’t heard this.  Added to my list.

November 18, 2021 08:05 PM

Dead Congregation - "Graves Of The Archangels" (2008)

Sonny & Vinny, I notice that neither of you have rated this one but I'd recommend it if you haven't already checked it out.

December 10, 2021 01:30 PM

Witches Hammer - "Devourer of the Dead" (2021)

Daniel/Vinny, they're back at it again. This one has a bit more of a complex/wonky riff structure but still has the same crushing energy and old school production style. Definitely worth a listen, I don't think I care for it as much as Damnation Is My Salvation but this one might grow on me.

May 14, 2022 01:26 PM

Ben, Daniel, Vinny... If you guys haven't listened to the debut album from German then-tech-death metallers Atrocity, I highly recommend doing so. You'll love this for sure! Sonny, perhaps this could be a great addition to your death metal voyage of rediscovery.

May 14, 2022 03:24 PM

I will add it to the list for when I get to 1990.

May 18, 2022 07:28 AM

Ben, Daniel, Vinny... The sole album from Delirium is definitely worth pumping up a bit of doomy death metal into you guys' Horde minds. You'll love the majority of this slightly more than I could. Sonny, this could also be another great addition to the 1990 part of your death metal voyage of rediscovery once you get to that year.

May 18, 2022 08:03 AM

Ben, Daniel, Vinny... The sole album from Delirium is definitely worth pumping up a bit of doomy death metal into you guys' Horde minds. You'll love the majority of this slightly more than I could. Sonny, this could also be another great addition to the 1990 part of your death metal voyage of rediscovery once you get to that year.

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

Thanks for the rec Andi, I will definitely add it to my list for when I take on 1990 as it sounds right up my street.

May 18, 2022 09:39 PM

I remember that Delirium record from my tape trading days. It wasn't too bad from memory but I can't say I've been drawn to return to it since. Off the top of my head I think I had it on a cassette with Paradise Lost's "Lost Paradise" actually.

May 19, 2022 02:09 AM

Ben, Daniel, Vinny... This EP from Australian deathgrinders Damaged is a little too intense for my liking, but I'm sure you guys will like it way more than I do. And please let me know whether or not you agree that it barely sounds like deathcore at all. Sonny, I don't know if you're up to adding deathgrind to your death metal rediscovery voyage, but this might be a good test for when you reach the mid-90s.

May 19, 2022 03:14 AM

Hahahaha.... Damaged & I have a very long history Andi. I adored them back in the early-to-mid 1990's & thrashed that E.P. to death. I would have seen them play live probably a dozen times too. One of the biggest fans of my band Neuropath  went on to become their vocalist shortly afterwards actually. They're one of the most infamous extreme metal bands in Australia's history but are rarely spoken of outside of our country. Their insane drummer Matt "Skitz" Sanders is an absolute legend of the local scene & has played for everyone that's anyone e.g. Abramelin, Hobbs Angel Of Death, Blood Duster, Destroyer 666, King Parrot, etc. Damaged don't fit comfortably into any single box as they really did have their own sound that cherry picked from numerous extreme genres. They're certainly nothing to do with the modern-day deathcore model but I can understand someone stretching that far to find a suitable box to chuck them in. I think deathgrind is a much better fit personally though.

August 05, 2022 04:04 PM

Hi Daniel, I'd be interested to see if you've heard of this pair of early albums from the Swedish Death Doom band Runemagick. This was in my backlog for a very long time and now I'm just disappointed that I didn't check them out sooner; I knew they had more of a Death Metal edge in their early days and while it might not be as grimy as some pre-2000's Death Metal, that's only a positive for me given all the big riffs they have stuffed into these two albums. I feel like these two albums have some real quality stuff in them given how skipped over it seems they are.

August 17, 2022 12:35 PM

Yes Xephyr, I've been aware of those two records since my return to metal back in 2009 & remember them both to be very solid & enjoyable releases. They've been on my radar to revisit for some time too & your comments have only strengthened my expectations.

May 03, 2023 12:22 PM

Daniel, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on Amorphis' debut The Karelian Isthmus. Though not as much of a classic as their next two albums, it's something I would recommend for true death metal fans who don't mind a small bit of melody that doesn't overshadow the extremeness of standard death metal:

May 03, 2023 09:39 PM

I've been across "The Karelian Isthmus" since it was released three decades ago Andi. It's not a bad death metal record either & has been on my radar to revisit for a while now. I'm very familiar with everything that Amorphis released between 1991 & 1997 but I'm pretty sure that's where my knowledge ends. I've been digging my teeth into this month's feature release this morning though & should be in a position to voice my opinions tomorrow.

September 10, 2023 11:15 AM

I know this is supposed to be a thread where members give out recommendations to others, but I wonder if I might make a request for recommendations here.

Due to the challenge I undertook to gain admittance to The Horde and my general preference for OSDM, I have very little experience with modern death metal. So, bearing in mind that I dislike dissonance and am not too keen on the more technical releases (although I don't mind a certain degree of technicality), could anyone recommend me some good death metal released in the last two or three years, please.

September 10, 2023 12:33 PM

Here's a great modern death metal/melodeath album released this year, for you to start with, Sonny: https://metal.academy/releases/46915

September 10, 2023 12:50 PM

Ha ha, Dethklok. I had forgotten all about them. I used to love Metalocalypse back in the day, stupid as fuck though it was. Thanks Andi, I'll give it a go.

September 10, 2023 05:40 PM

I know this is supposed to be a thread where members give out recommendations to others, but I wonder if I might make a request for recommendations here.

Due to the challenge I undertook to gain admittance to The Horde and my general preference for OSDM, I have very little experience with modern death metal. So, bearing in mind that I dislike dissonance and am not too keen on the more technical releases (although I don't mind a certain degree of technicality), could anyone recommend me some good death metal released in the last two or three years, please.

Quoted Sonny

Hi Sonny,

Here's some of my finds over the last 10 years. As a general starter for ten, I usually find that anything on the Maggot Stomp record label is a winner from an OSDM perspective.

Abraded - s/t  (2021)

https://metal.academy/releases/36951 - grinding, d-beat stomping goodness from Cleveland

Cerebral Rot - Excretion of Mortality (2021)

https://metal.academy/releases/28977 - a familiar blast of 90's death metal, incorporating death/doom, Autopsy-like values on production and musicianship as well as the squally depths of Demilich for good measure.

Corpsessed

Dumbass name aside, if you want some modern Finn-death then this lot will scratch that itch.  Debut is solid enough but does little to standout from the pack, their latest shows maturity abounding though.

https://metal.academy/bands/4677

Immolation

Although not perfect by any means, the last two Immolation records are perfectly respectable releases showing these guys can still kick it with the best of the new bunch out there

https://metal.academy/releases/650

https://metal.academy/releases/34382

Krypts - Cadaver Circulation (2019)

https://metal.academy/releases/10476 - Finnish death doom that I would think to be right up your street Sonny.

Seprevation - Consumed (2014)

https://metal.academy/releases/27051 - UK death/thrash that I picked up on when doing the Review Draft before we canned that.  Possessed, Sadus and Slayer influences are obvious but there's plenty death metal here also.

Undeath - Lesions of a Different Kind (2020)

https://metal.academy/releases/24108 - pure OSDM worship here, embrace it.

September 10, 2023 07:20 PM

Thanks a lot Vinny. That will give me something to get my teeth into.

April 17, 2024 03:42 AM

Daniel, Ben, Rex, Sonny, Illusionist... Seeing how much you guys like the earlier melodeath material of Amorphis, here's the perfect test of how much enjoyment you can get out of a re-recording album of songs from that era that shall be right up your alley:

April 17, 2024 04:15 AM

I investigated that one back around the time of release Andi. Quite liked it if my recollections are correct too.