Make a recommendation to a fellow member of The Horde

First Post November 25, 2019 06:56 AM

If you think one of your clan-mates might really dig something you can make a recommendation to them here.

November 25, 2019 07:54 AM

Any of you fellow Horde members here like death metal but want something less violent/gory/horrifying and more melodic? There are many awesome melodic death metal bands but here are a few I would recommend listed below. If you haven't listened to them yet, you should. But if you already listen to them, well done!

Amon Amarth

Dark Tranquillity

Scar Symmetry

Darkest Hour (before 2014)

In Flames (first 5 albums)

November 25, 2019 10:24 AM

Kalmah

Equilibrium

Otherwise Shadow's list is perfect. I would be a Horde member for Melodic Death alone alas not a fan of much else in there so got nothing else to recommend. 

July 17, 2020 09:41 PM

Vinny, I notice you haven't submitted a rating for this one but I would think it would be right up your alley.

July 23, 2020 10:01 PM

SilentScream213, are you on top of this one?

July 25, 2020 07:02 AM

Vinny, I notice you haven't submitted a rating for this one but I would think it would be right up your alley.

Quoted Daniel

Yeah, it’s my favourite of theirs in all honesty.  Wanting to get a review done of it at some point so held off rating yet.

February 23, 2021 12:32 AM

I notice you haven't rated this one Vinny. Can I assume you're acquainted with it?

February 24, 2021 07:13 AM

I notice you haven't rated this one Vinny. Can I assume you're acquainted with it?

Quoted Daniel

I am mate.  Not one of my preferred releases of theirs from memory but would need to revisit to fully recall why.  It was following a great record of course in Close to a World Below so it may be that it is not a bad album per se, just not on the same par.

February 26, 2021 09:37 PM

Yeah it's definitely a step down from "Close To A World below" but I rate it pretty similarly to last month's feature release "Here In After". In fact, I think I'd take "Unholy Cult" over it if I had to pick one.

March 29, 2021 07:32 PM

Suffocation - "Human Waste" E.P. (1991)

Vinny, I notice you haven't rated this one. I regard it as absolutely essential for all death metal fans.

March 30, 2021 08:40 AM

Suffocation - "Human Waste" E.P. (1991)

Vinny, I notice you haven't rated this one. I regard it as absolutely essential for all death metal fans.

Quoted Daniel

It's known to me, but for some reason I have never gotten round to sitting down with it and doing a review anywhere (thought I had on my old forum but can't see it).  Got a week of leave this week so will spend some time with it.

April 21, 2021 09:43 AM

Necrophobic - "The Nocturnal Silence" (1993)

Vinny & Ben, you might wanna check this one out if you haven't previously.

April 21, 2021 10:38 AM

Necrophobic - "The Nocturnal Silence" (1993)

Vinny & Ben, you might wanna check this one out if you haven't previously.

Quoted Daniel

Yep, known to me thanks.  Worth a review at some point.

April 28, 2021 03:46 AM

Incantation - "Mortal Throne Of Nazarene" (1994)

Vinny, I assume you're across this one but thought I'd check as it would appear to be your jam.

Sonny, get on it if you haven't already.

April 28, 2021 06:21 AM

I'm only just hitching a ride on the Incantation bandwagon since Diabolical Conquest was the featured release a couple of months back so I will definitely check this (and the rest of their stuff) out.

April 28, 2021 09:13 AM

Incantation - "Mortal Throne Of Nazarene" (1994)

Vinny, I assume you're across this one but thought I'd check as it would appear to be your jam.

Sonny, get on it if you haven't already.

Quoted Daniel

Yep - one of the ones I keep meaning to write a review of in all honesty.  Would pitch it as 4/5 from memory.

May 22, 2021 09:51 PM

Cryptic Shift - "Visitations From Enceladus" (2020)

Ben & Vinny, have you checked out this progressive death/thrash debut from Leeds, England yet? It's a high quality effort that reminds me of Vektor, Voivod & Gorguts. 

May 23, 2021 12:08 AM

You'll undoubtedly enjoy this album Andi & I would definitely have recommended it to you if not for your recent position on death metal (which doesn't seem to be being all that strictly adhered to if the above is anything to go by).

May 23, 2021 05:29 AM

Cryptic Shift - "Visitations From Enceladus" (2020)

Ben & Vinny, have you checked out this progressive death/thrash debut from Leeds, England yet? It's a high quality effort that reminds me of Vektor, Voivod & Gorguts. 

Quoted Daniel

I couldn’t get into it, a bit too Voivod from memory and I don’t get on with them unfortunately.  May well get a revisit at some point but initial view wasn’t positive.

May 23, 2021 11:15 PM

I loved Visitations From Enceladus but it's a pretty polarizing record through and through, especially since "Moonbelt Immolator" showcases all of the bands tricks on the first half of the album. Interested to see some more discussion, this was one that I really should have and still should review but it felt like too massive of a project to have a succinct opinion on at the time. 

July 27, 2021 11:14 AM

Demigod - "Slumber Of Sullen Eyes" (1993)

The debut album from this highly regarded Finnish outfit is a great example of the strength of the early 90's underground death metal scene. Demigod's first up effort combined the old school death metal of the Swedes with the classic graveyard atmosphere of Incantation & the melodic sensibilities of Paradise Lost to create one of the defining releases in the history of Finnish death metal. The musicianship & execution aren't perfect however there can be no denying that the band had a strong understanding of what made death metal so great. The variations in pace, the melancholic guitar lines & the deathly vocals all highlight a record that brings together several key influences in order to achieve a fresh take on the genre without ever threatening to reinvent the wheel. The consistency of the tracklisting & the deathly atmosphere are certainly impressive however the lack of genuine classics prevents me from exploring the upper echelons of the rating spectrum. It's a very strong release for fans of classic death metal though & comes highly recommended.

For fans of Depravity, Adramelech & early Convulsed.

4/5

Vinny & Sonny, this one should offer you plenty of appeal.

August 27, 2021 04:08 PM

Yo Daniel, I've been trying to get into this one all week and it didn't quite do it for me, but I'm sure you'll get something more out of it. 

Diskord - Degenerations (2021)

August 27, 2021 11:03 PM

Thanks Xephyr. I'll add it to the playlist.

August 28, 2021 03:06 AM

Timeghoul - "Panaramic Twilight" demo (1994)

Ben, I think you'd really dig this progressive death metal demo tape. You can find it on the end of the "1992-1994 Discography" compilation.