November 2021 Feature Release – The Guardians Edition

First Post October 31, 2021 07:49 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Guardians has been nominated by Vinny. It's the classic 1989 fourth album "The Headless Children" from LA heavy metal icons W.A.S.P.

https://metal.academy/releases/758

November 04, 2021 01:31 AM

hmmm....

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's good, but it sounds formulaic. Most of this album is one bad haircut away from becoming a glam metal album. Otherwise it sound a lot like Motley Crue, mixed with Michael Kiske-esque vocals. It sounds decent for what it is, but feels naked in comparison to Helloween and the early power metal of Europe from the same time. I feel like I would much rather just listen to that. 

6/10

November 04, 2021 08:35 AM

These days everyone seems to talk about WASP's self-titled debut but I come from an alternate direction as I feel that they got better after that with their peak being 1992's classic concept album "The Crimson Idol" (I know, I know.. a real shock that I don't favour their glammier stuff). Their 1989 fourth album "The Headless Children" sees Blackie & co. finally dropping most of the glam metal schmaltz in favour of more mature subject matter but I wouldn't say they reinvented themselves musically. This is still a WASP record from start to finish with a couple of hard rock focused numbers mixed in with their now signature anthemic heavy metal sound & Blackie's powerful pipes & well-defined hooks dominating proceedings. Admittedly those rockier tracks represent the weaker moments on the album but there's really only the ballad "Forever Free" that I don't find much appeal in. The rest of the tracklisting is very consistent with closer "Rebel in the F.D.G." & "Thunderhead" representing the album highlights & some of the best material of WASP's career. All heavy metal fans should find value in this record. It's not a game-changer by any means but it's got all the balls & excitement that you'd expect from a WASP record & I place it a comfortable second for their back catalogue overall.

For fans of Twisted Sister, 80's Judas Priest & "Shout At The Devil"-era Motley Crue.

4/5

November 17, 2021 02:30 AM

I did my review, here's its summary:

I'm glad to start hearing what WASP is about with not their shaggy earlier material but instead an album where they get more serious and heavy. There's no need to question their metal sound nor f***ing compare it to their peers, except for maybe a guitarist drink-off with Metallica. The Headless Children shows the band ascending into more mature consistency, and that's what I like. WASP has done pretty much all of it right to bring their metal to the stratosphere. There's tons of heavy energy, and Blackie takes over on rhythm guitar, allowing Chris Holmes to let his leads rip through the excitement of vibrant soloing and insane effects. There are also occasional organ melodies good for any classic hard rock fans worshipping Uriah Heep. I agree that the ballad "Forever Free" isn't that appealing. Either way, this is real heavy metal of f***ing brilliance. The Headless Children might not be entirely perfect, but it's still amazing and beats many other albums of the glam metal scene by a mile. Maturity pays off!

4.5/5

November 17, 2021 07:39 PM

Back in the day my first wife's younger sister was massively into glam metal, so as family metalhead#1 whenever Twisted Sister or whoever rode into town I got chaperone duty. Anyway it must have been sometime in '85 as WASP were touring The Last Command we rolled up to the local dive to see the LA glamsters. I only really knew about Blackie Lawless from his New York Dolls stint so didn't really know what to expect, but as it turns out they put on a pretty decent show. Unfortunately I have never been able to get to grips with the band's recorded output and that has now been worsened by Andi's comparison to Slade and during every track I now expect Blackie to screech "It's Christmas!!" Add to that the mauling of The Who's The Real Me and I'm out I'm afraid, that's it for WASP and me.

December 01, 2021 06:42 PM

It's funny growing up around Classic Rock / popular 80's Hair Metal since it was the only thing on the radio around where I lived, but having these massive-at-the-time bands slip through the cracks after all these years. I want to say that I knew who W.A.S.P. was before listening to this, but that might have just been from glancing at a list of 80's Hair Metal bands. It's immediately apparent that they were shifting from that background as most of these tracks have that classic 80's riff and song structure, but dipping their toes in a more grounded Heavy Metal sound definitely elevated this album past a classic radio rerun. 

I can't say I'm blown away by The Headless Children but I agree with its consistency. Apart from the obligatory, sappy power ballad and the awkward "The Real Me" every song has something going for it, even if some are more forgettable than others. I can't say this is my favorite style of Heavy Metal though, despite me enjoying the cheesier sides of Power Metal very liberally. Still a very solid album though, and songs like "Thunderhead" are just fun listens through and through.

3.5/5