The Stinkers Thread - The Guardians Edition

June 28, 2021 12:52 PM

Despite over half the amount of songs in British Steel being brilliant classics, the album suffers a couple horrid mainstream sh*t-wipes. Listen and weep from the stench:

June 28, 2021 09:01 PM

I completely agree Andi. I've always despised these two tracks. Thankfully the rest of the tracklisting is strong enough to maintain my interest (particularly "Metal Gods" & "The Rage" which sit amongst my favourite heavy metal tunes ever) but these two are the main reason that I don't regard "British Steel" as one of Judas Priest's best records.

June 28, 2021 11:33 PM

particularly "Metal Gods" & "The Rage" which sit amongst my favourite heavy metal tunes ever

Quoted Daniel

Two great songs from the album! Though "The Rage" sits at a passable level for me...

June 29, 2021 12:41 AM

Yeah, this and certain other tracks from their 80s output threw me for a loop back in the day. I heard these very mainstream offerings when I was young without any knowledge of who the band was. Years later I got into Priest through their earlier works first and foremost (Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class), then I discovered those other songs were the same band and couldn't believe it.

To this day I find their post-Stained output a lot more of a mixed bag than what came before, too often sounding like it's sacrificing some of the earlier style in favour of much more 80s US mainstream appeal.

June 29, 2021 04:38 AM

British Steel was the album that  finally broke my love affair with Judas Priest. I had been a Priest fanatic since Sad Wings of Destiny was released and so I had forgiven their godawful Take On the World from the otherwise terrific Killing Machine and their appearance on weekly pop show Top of the Pops - the ultimate sell out in the UK. But Living after Midnight and especially United were a step too far for me, the cringe-worthy video for Breaking the Law didn't help either. With the NWOBHM exploding in full force at this time, Priest from that point on became merely peripheral in my metal world, although the earlier albums have remained some of my go-to classics and no amount of bullshit has ever changed that.

June 29, 2021 07:40 AM

The cringe-worthy video for Breaking the Law didn't help either.

Quoted Sonny

Yeah, they just had to put the best classic of the album in one of the most ridiculously awful metal music videos. That's why I purposely put up a different video when sharing that song in the Track of the Day thread.

June 29, 2021 09:19 AM

While I quite like "Breaking The Law", I'd have to argue against it being labelled as "the best classic of the album". It's certainly the most popular song from an MTV point of view & enabled Judas Priest to finally crack the US market but that's mainly due to it's poppy hooks, simple arrangement & general accessibility which enabled it to crossover into commercial radio. The guitar melody at the start sounds like it could have been pulled straight off of Martha & the Muffins’ “Echo Beach” & it really does rely entirely on the chorus hook to draw the audience in (which it obviously does very well). I guess the point I'm making is that it's not one of the real gems from "British Steel" for me personally. I'd place at least four tracks comfortably ahead of it. The outro is really exciting though & it goes off in a live environment. 

July 18, 2021 10:10 PM

This track is such a disappointment given the undeniable strength of some of the other material on Savatage's "Edge Of Thorns" album.

July 19, 2021 02:16 AM

This track is such a disappointment given the undeniable strength of some of the other material on Savatage's "Edge Of Thorns" album.

Quoted Daniel

I agree that this isn't really the best song here, but the emotional vocals by Zak Stevens stand out with great lyrics and maintain the perfect 5-star rating I've given to the highly strong remainder of the album.

July 28, 2021 09:27 PM

This is a prime example of why I struggle with German heavy/power metal outfit Running Wild.

August 03, 2021 02:18 PM

RIP Motorhead and their fallen members. Though Saxon's poor tribute to that band shall rest in pieces:

August 07, 2021 11:01 PM

"They Played Rock 'n' Roll" is certainly not one of the stronger tracks from the album but it's a long way from a stinker in my opinion. I actually quite like it.

September 03, 2021 10:05 PM

This track just sounds like a big mess to me. The focus on rhythmic complexity has gotten wwaayyy out of control.

September 26, 2021 02:03 PM

An essential metal ballad mandatory for all metalheads...NOT!!! This one is highly overrated! I don't care if it's the only Queensryche song they play on radio, if this is the only Queensryche song or metal song you enjoy, then you're not a fan of the band or the genre:

December 20, 2021 09:57 PM

This one is cheesy as all fuck. Simply awful stuff!

December 20, 2021 09:59 PM

Sorry guys but this is basically the anti-Daniel. How can I unhear this? I'll pay top dollar!

December 20, 2021 11:28 PM

This one is cheesy as all fuck. Simply awful stuff!

Quoted Daniel

This one is indeed kind of a cheesy ballad...

Sorry guys but this is basically the anti-Daniel. How can I unhear this? I'll pay top dollar!

Quoted Daniel

...But this has Majestica's trademark speedy soloing and melodic riffing. You Guardians Grinch!! :rage::wink:I understand our Guardians tastes are practically polar opposites, so I forgive you, Daniel. I've had barely any problem with most of this album, but other than the 5-minute outro, this cheesy ballad has made me cringe a bit:

February 06, 2022 11:28 AM

UGH, this is another one of Helloween's singles that I end up hearing as embarrassing cheesy sh*t:

February 08, 2022 02:46 AM

Someone call Thor and ask him to strike this man down with lightning or at least bless him with a much better voice:

February 09, 2022 12:15 AM

When it comes to mixing metal with orchestra, some things just should not be:

February 09, 2022 07:52 AM

As if the odd arrangement wasn't bad enough, this sh*t-dip should not exist:

February 09, 2022 10:02 AM

That's a pretty solid power ballad right there Andi. I've always really enjoyed the chorus hook. Big-time KISS influence in my opinion.

June 17, 2022 09:09 PM

What a waste of space this cheesy Country Rock bonus track is from Zakk Wylde-fronted Los Angeles Heavy Metal outfit Black Label Society's 2005 "Mafia" album.

June 19, 2022 08:48 AM

Try this Southern Metal disaster on for size too. Simply awful stuff from three quarters of Pantera!