"The Roots of Metal" Project

November 20, 2023 06:17 PM

How about "Embryo"? Metal or not? I'd suggest that it's an English folk music interlude personally.

November 20, 2023 07:54 PM

I guess English folk's a good tag, but I feel like I should take the electric guitar into consideration when labelling it, and nobody really uses "electric folk."

November 21, 2023 06:53 PM

How about "Children of the Grave" then? I'd say this is a pretty easy one for heavy metal.

November 21, 2023 07:17 PM

One of the best heavy metal jams of its era.  It's easy to see where Metal Church got their inspiration.

November 21, 2023 07:37 PM

I checked out the sole 1972 self-titled album from Peruvian outfit Tarkus this week & found that it's definitely not a metal record. There's only one track that's obviously metal with the release coming across as heavy psych overall.

November 22, 2023 01:39 AM

Embyro, not really sure I'd say folk, but the specifics seem moot considering it isn't metal.

Children of the Grave, unambiguously metal.

November 22, 2023 04:51 AM

"In The Time Of Job When Mammon Was A Yippie" - Hard Rock

"Lucifer's Friend" - Closer, but still Hard Rock

Onto Budgie, a band that I'm entirely unfamiliar with:

"Guts" - Can't call it Metal personally, but it's in the middle of so many things that it's hard to say.

"Everything In My Heart" - Folk

"The Author" - Hard Rock

"Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman" - I'm with Daniel, Hard Rock / Heavy Blues Rock

"Rape of the Locks" - Blues Rock

"All Night Petrol" - Agreed with Stoner Rock

"You and I" - Folk

"Homicidal Suicidal" - Blues / Stoner Rock, too swingy

Nothing doing for me on that Budgie album, even though I liked what I heard.

Onto another Black Sabbath:

"Sweet Leaf" - Agreed with Stoner Metal.

"After Forever" - Sabbath's overall sound and riff structure still put this into Heavy Metal for me.

"Embryo" - Interlude, doesn't count for much in my opinion, but not Metal.

"Children of the Grave" - Probably the most Metal out of the ones that have been posted so far. The repetitive chug riff into the ending squeals is just synonymous with Heavy Metal riffing.

November 22, 2023 06:59 PM

How about "Orchid"? I've got this one down as contemporary folk.

November 22, 2023 10:04 PM

Folk.

November 23, 2023 01:24 AM

I'm not really sure what I'd put an acoustic interlude under, beyond not metal.

Having given the two albums Daniel brought up a listen, Tarkus seems hard to tell over the noise, but I'd wager not metal. Night Sun could go either way, it has enough going on that it might just be enough.

November 23, 2023 03:23 AM

So you’d like to nominate the Night Sun recordfor investigation here then Morpheus?

November 23, 2023 06:51 PM

How about "Lord of This World" then? I've got it down as stoner metal.

November 23, 2023 07:28 PM

I've checked out Lucifer's Friend's 1972 "...Where the Groupies Killed the Blues" sophomore album this week & there's no metal on it whatsoever. It was a real change of direction for the band towards a full-on progressive rock sound in my opinion. Highly experimental stuff indeed.

November 23, 2023 07:58 PM

Doomy, stoney, dirty, METAAAAAHL

November 24, 2023 06:54 PM

What about "Solitude" then? I've got it down as psychedelic folk.

November 25, 2023 02:30 AM

So you’d like to nominate the Night Sun recordfor investigation here then Morpheus?

Quoted Daniel

Yes.

Lord of this World, I'd say doom metal.

Solitude, I don't know what genre I'd say, but not metal.

November 25, 2023 07:26 PM

And finally... "Into The Void". Whatchya got for this one? I've once again got it down as stoner metal which has led me to the same realization as I've come to with both of Black Sabbath's previous records i.e. "Master of Reality" would essentially be tagged as a stoner metal release if it was released today. It's also the most metal release to the time with almost two thirds of its run time sitting in metal realms.

Tomorrow we'll be starting a new release with the self-titled Bang debut slated to be next in line unless Morpheus would like us to do the Night Sun record. Let me know ASAP mate.

November 26, 2023 01:16 AM

Er...I said yes in the post just above you.

This one gets stoner metal. Once again I think we're agreed this one is unanimously metal, unsurprising really. It'll be interesting to see when we're agreed that something other than Sabbath is metal.

November 26, 2023 01:29 AM

Oh sorry. I missed that. Night Sun it is then.

November 26, 2023 07:14 PM

OK, let's kick off our investigation of Night Sun's sole 1972 album "Mournin'" with opening track "Plastic Shotgun", at track that I consider to be progressive rock.

November 27, 2023 04:25 AM

I'd say hard/prog rock. Kind of hard to just be prog rock when the track is under 3 minutes IMHO. Gets a bit metal at times but too scattered in what it does to truly be metal.

November 27, 2023 10:12 AM

I checked out Scorpions’ 1972 debut album “Lonesome Crow” today & found that there’s no metal there whatsoever. In fact, there’s not even anything I’d tag as hard rock. It’s a psychedelic/progressive rock record in my opinion so I’m not planning on covering it here.

November 27, 2023 07:00 PM

I'd say hard/prog rock. Kind of hard to just be prog rock when the track is under 3 minutes IMHO.

Quoted Morpheus Kitami

That's a myth in my opinion. Progressive music doesn't have to be lengthy as far as I can see. It's a sound. Not a duration.

Today's track is "Crazy Woman" which I've tagged as being hard rock.

November 28, 2023 03:15 AM

I agree with hard rock.