November 2021 Feature Release – The Gateway Edition

First Post October 31, 2021 07:47 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Gateway has been nominated by Saxy. It's the brand new debut album from Canadian alternative metal outfit Spiritbox entitled "Eternal Blue".

https://metal.academy/releases/31082

November 16, 2021 11:10 AM

I have to admit that I really got into this album after giving it a few listens. It sounded a bit too commercially focused for my taste early on however the hooks & execution are really strong so the highlights, variety & consistency quickly turned my opinion around. Courtney's vocals certainly give Spiritbox an extra layer of accessibility however the song-writing & production always see her being positioned nicely & the contrast of the more extreme metalcore sections creates some welcome light & shade. The opening tracks on both sides (i.e. "Sun Killer" & "Holy Roller") absolutely slay & there's really only one of the twelve tracks that doesn't do much for me in the disappointing "The Summit". I can see why Spiritbox are getting a fair bit of attention around the traps at the moment as it's a formidable debut full-length.

For fans of Bad Wolves, Loathe & Northlane.

4/5

Andi, you'll definitely dig this release.

November 16, 2021 01:20 PM

All right, I'm looking forward to completing this month's feature release journey for my clans. Listen and review for this album coming soon...

November 16, 2021 05:29 PM

It's been and going to be a really busy month for me so I don't think I'm going to be getting around to many of the Feature Releases this month. 

That being said I had listened to Spiritbox's debut album without knowing anything about the band when it first came out and enjoyed it, but didn't rush back to it. It was definitely a cut above the random modern Alt/Metalcore album with decent riffs, a great female vocalist who has the pipes to do entrancing cleans and sufficient harshes, and decently unique songwriting. After going back to it today I'm willing to give Spiritbox even more credit than last time, as I had this release as a 3 when I first listened to it. Some of the more boring sections in "Hurt You", "The Summit", "Eternal Blue", and "Halcyon" become a bit too similar for me, even though I like the more progressive backings of the synths and the soaring vocal lines. They definitely have and stick to their style and do it well, even though it doesn't resonate with me a whole lot after the album finishes. I think what changed my mind is how damn catchy this thing can be, since I remembered a lot of the hooks instantly without listening to Eternal Blue for months. Even though I think the Alt/Metalcore can do much better than this, Spiritbox are definitely a highlight as they offer something that is uniquely them in a genre than tends to seriously bore me. 

3.5/5

November 17, 2021 01:29 AM

Cheers for the rec, Daniel! Here's my review summary:

It's amazing how sounds from a few years ago can be resurrected into a new unique sound, and their debut Eternal Blue has brightened up the year for me! With songs that range from heavy crushers to beautiful bliss-makers, Eternal Blue is a dizzying spin that would frighten your ears with chaos then cleanse them with beauty. Once you dive deep enough to find your place for it, you're in for a journey that levels up the album's interesting factor. Heavy darkness enters with shades of beauty, perfect for when humanity is trying to restart. I've found my place within the Spiritbox, and maybe you can too. See you on the other side!

5/5

November 25, 2021 12:55 PM

I haven't listened to many metal albums that I have less of an affinity for or less of a connection to than Eternal Blue. It's like eating a meal made from ingredients I personally find unpallatable - I am unable to tell if it's well-cooked or not because it tastes unpleasant to me no matter what. Spiritbox's brand of metal I also find thusly unpallatable. I am soon going to turn 60, so of course this may be a generational thing and I seriously doubt if I am part of the band's intended demographic, but all these bouncy rhythms and faux-earnest shouting do absolutely zero for me. To me this sounds like Linkin' Park with a female vocalist.

2/5

November 28, 2021 04:57 PM

Guess I should briefly mention my own featured album for this month before it ends.

While Spiritbox do have a very strong ear for melodic hooks that are super catchy, they only truly materialize in Courtney LaPlante's vocals. The instrumentals fall into a very comfortable alternative metalcore sound with a distinct Architects vibe with its leanings towards djent. I have never been a fan of this sound personally and the last Architects album (and its subsequent review) should be evidence of that. Otherwise, the compression in the mix is detrimental to the overall sound, but unfortunately necessary in order to find that crossover appeal.

I described this album during my review as a musical grab bag of popular metalcore trends and I stand by that claim. I would love to hear this group break away from the Architects influence and make a record that, while still indebted, is a sound all their own. I believe that little blue light on the horizon is still attainable.

6/10