Track Of The Day - The Fallen Edition

First Post December 07, 2019 07:40 PM

Tell us what track is ticking your boxes today. 

December 07, 2019 11:20 PM

I'm not in the Fallen, but remember when Tiamat used to be death-doom, instead of their current gothic rock/metal sound? Good times...

December 08, 2019 12:40 AM

I'm not in the Fallen, but remember when Tiamat used to be death-doom, instead of their current gothic rock/metal sound? Good times...

Quoted shadowdoom9

I do. I picked up those first few Tiamat records through tape trading back in the day but "Clouds" was the only one that I had much time for to be honest. They made for a much better gothic metal band in my opinion. At least they did in their mid 90's heyday. I didn't think you were listening to metal back in the early 90's Andi.

December 08, 2019 01:44 AM

Yeah, I have quite a wide time range of metal for a young metalhead born in the late 90s, from as early as the early 90s to the present day. Maybe someday I can go deeper into the Metallica era (mid 80s), but I'll keep my time range at 3 decades for now.

December 08, 2019 03:25 PM

Been playing Lord Vicar's latest, The Black Powder. I think that now Chritus has left Goatess to concentrate completely on LV they have turned in their best to date. Particularly digging on opening seventeen-minuter, Sulphur, Charcoal and Saltpetre - real Finnish doom that Albert Witchfinder would be proud of.

February 04, 2020 06:06 PM

February 04, 2020 11:47 PM

I love one of The Ocean albums (NOT this one) so much when doing The Infinite Modern Era Clan Challenge. This is full-on oceanic progressive sludge metal at its best! Can't wait to listen to more of this collective..

February 11, 2020 07:52 AM

Possibly the best track to ever come out of the Australian metal scene in my opinion. Absolutely crushing yet stunningly beautiful death doom metal with unsurpassed atmosphere.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 11, 2020 09:33 AM

Agreed!

February 16, 2020 04:12 AM

Next level funeral doom metal from Birmingham.

February 16, 2020 02:15 PM

To prep you for the new My Dying Bride album The Ghost of Orion coming out next month, here's one of their earlier songs that came to my mind, and for some reason, the song I thought of is from their worst album. This shorter live version is much better than the studio one. We don't need that Blade Runner-like narrative, thank you very much!

February 19, 2020 11:18 AM

One of the true classics of the traditional doom metal movement. That riiiiiiiffffff….. oh that rrrriiiiifffffff!!!!!

February 21, 2020 11:25 AM

Amongst the most emotionally charged & thoroughly beautiful pieces of lead guitar work ever recorded in my opinion.

February 21, 2020 12:43 PM

Ah yes, Wildhoney! One of the more experimental gothic metal albums in the psychedelic sense and one of my favourite gothic albums. That interlude is beautiful, but I prefer the full songs like “Whatever That Hurts”, “Gaia”, and “A Pocket Size Sun”.

February 21, 2020 07:22 PM

I actually think the shorter pieces are the best parts of the album. "Planets", "25th Floor" & "Kaleidoscope" are absolutely stunning in their scope & execution. It was amazing to hear a band stepping outside of the comfort zone in such emphatic fashion. "Do You Dream Of Me?" is my pick of the proper songs.

February 21, 2020 11:30 PM

An excellent return to Paradise Lost's earlier gothic doom metal sound after 10 years of experimentation:

February 21, 2020 11:39 PM

I love that album, and am looking forward to reviewing it as part of the clan challenge. It was one of my first exposures to the band, and though it might not be their heaviest album, it's just so damn catchy, every song is brimming with hooks.

February 22, 2020 12:21 AM
If I decide to lock in The Fallen as my 4th clan, this would be a great album to review as part of The Fallen Gothic Metal Modern Era challenge. I'm still torn between The Fallen and The Pit, but we'll cross that bridge when I get there...
February 22, 2020 02:26 AM

I have absolutely no idea how you're not a member of The Guardians Andi. 

February 22, 2020 04:08 AM
Now that I think about it, you have a good point, Daniel. I've had quite a history of Guardians genres (heavy/power/symphonic/neo-classical metal) before the more extreme Horde/Infinite/Revolution part of my metal taste kicked off and long before I discovered Metal Academy. And like I said a few times before, one of those Guardians bands is responsible for beginning my metal interest, DragonForce! I can just think of all the fun memories I had in those more melodic times. So yeah, now I have 3 clans I can't decide on which 4th clan to lock in: The Fallen, The Guardians, or The Pit. Maybe when I finally get one of those 3 clans as my 4th, I can save the other two for an alternate account for my next big taste change. But for now, I'm still planning on doing the rest of my Horde Clan Challenge strategy and The Revolution Melodic Metalcore Clan Challenge before I make my ultimate decision...
February 22, 2020 04:47 AM

There are no alternative accounts allowed on Metal Academy I'm afraid Andi. It defeats the purpose of what we're trying to achieve.

February 27, 2020 12:09 PM

Ambient, droney post-metal from Georgia, USA.

March 12, 2020 08:31 AM

One of the greatest doom/death tracks ever recorded in my opinion & probably Katatonia's finest moment.

March 26, 2020 08:12 PM

A genuine classic of the gothic metal subgenre.