The "Influence or Coincidence, Inspiration or Plagiarism" Thread

January 11, 2024 12:32 AM

Rex and I have just found one of the funniest coincidences in music history. Listen to that vocal riff from the epic title track of Septicflesh's Communion:

It sounds identical to a minor-key variation of Meow Mix:

January 11, 2024 01:00 AM

Well since I'm here, I'd like to talk about one of the more recent notable cases of alleged metal song plagiarism. Listen to the guitar rhythm during the solo of this Plini song (at 3:28):

And then the guitar rhythm during the solo of this rock/metal version of Doja Cat's "Say So" (at 2:51):

Even though Doja Cat admitted to the plagiarism and apologized for it, I suspect that it's just a coincidence, as I'm not sure she would purposely steal something from a random progressive metal/rock song. What do you all think?

February 18, 2024 07:16 PM

Check out the chorus vocal hooks to these two tracks; the Cool Feet one coming having been released on 14th April 1976, the Scorpions one two years later in April 1978. Too close to be coincidence?

February 18, 2024 11:26 PM

Influence? Coincidence? Likely balancing on the line in between there.

March 15, 2024 10:05 PM

OK, here's one that you'll all want to hear as it would seem to be a pretty blatant example of plagiarism but from a strangely unexpected source. The chorus to Yngwie Malmsteen's 1992 track "All I Want Is Everything" would appear to copy the chorus hooks of Paula Abdul's 1988 megahit "Opposites Attract". Let me know what you think.

April 27, 2024 09:31 PM

There are quite a few references to Cannibal Corpse's 1990 debut album "Eaten Back To Life" to be found on Monstrosity's 1992 "Imperial Doom" record but perhaps none more obvious than this one. Check out the ringing power chord section at 1:06 in "A Skull Full Of Maggots" & compare it with the very similar part that starts at "1:30" in "Final Cremation" with both parts heralding a half-time movement with a similar feel. It's only a short section but I feel that it was clearly borrowed given that there are many other references to Cannibal Corpse's debut scattered across the tracklisting. It just feels so similar & has me doing a double-take every time I hear it.

April 27, 2024 09:55 PM

Do ya reckon a young Iron Maiden might have heard the guitar harmonies at the start of this early Scorpions progressive rock epic while they were still deciding on what they might sound like? Check out the way the bass guitar is used underneath too. Totally Maiden!