The Stinkers Thread - The Sphere Edition

First Post December 09, 2019 10:38 PM

Share your musical abortions here.

June 21, 2020 07:21 AM

The low point of Jamie Christopherson's "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Vocal Tracks" video game soundtrack from 2013. Horrible stuff!

January 04, 2021 01:25 AM

Leave it to two terrible sh*t-wipes of songs to ruin what would've been my entryway album to industrial metal:

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
January 04, 2021 04:19 AM

I admit that Test isn't very good, but I absolutely love Dream Song. It was this experimentation and variety that made early Ministry so amazing. Definitely more hits than misses.

It's interesting to me that you still give the album 4.5 stars, even though you feel two tracks are stinkers. Your rating system is obviously very different to my own.

January 04, 2021 06:23 AM

Yeah, those other 7 songs are some of the best industrial metal tracks I've listened to, but the album's perfection was ruined by those two stinkers and that caused me to vote for Godflesh's Streetcleaner (also 4.5 stars and I respect it as the starting album of the industrial metal genre) in the DIS vs DAT Sphere Thread: https://metal.academy/forum/15/thread/354?page=1#topic_5375

July 07, 2021 09:41 PM

Leave it to two terrible sh*t-wipes of songs to ruin what would've been my entryway album to industrial metal:

Quoted shadowdoom9 (Andi)

I agree that "Test" is the clear weak point of the album as the rap vocals were misguided & drag an otherwise vibrant & electric track down significantly. It gradually builds in intensity & climaxes in a pretty epic crescendo though so I still don't mind it. "Dream Song" on the other hand is a wonderfully dark, majestic & transcendental way to finish the album & sits amongst my all-time favourite Ministry material. The Dead Can Dance & 80's industrial influences are beautifully synchronized & I have no hesitation in awarding it the full 5/5. I'd ask what drugs you're on with that call Andi although I fear it's probably more about what drugs I'VE taken to be honest.

July 07, 2021 11:54 PM
Yeah the rap vocals really drag "Test" down to hip-hop Hell. For "Dream Song", sure the 80s industrial sound is beautiful, but I personally don't think the Dead Can Dance influences work right with that sound, trying to sound beautiful but resulting in an experimental mess, like mixing maple syrup with ranch dressing. Dead Can Dance-like moments work better in gothic metal bands like Mandylion-era The Gathering and Tiamat that actually listen to that band instead of just taking one or a few songs and making a song based on them. Those two stinkers prevented me from giving the album 5 stars and made me unsure about Ministry. Once again this proves that industrial metal is a bumpy road that's hard for me to drive further. And no I wasn't on any drugs. I don't do drugs! Just like the campaign that inspired this album, "Just Say No to Drugs!"
October 12, 2021 09:10 PM

April 05, 2022 07:00 AM

Songs of Love and Hate is indeed an album full of songs to love and hate, with this sh*tter being a suitable addition to the latter category:

April 05, 2022 10:57 AM

The hip-hop instrumental approach in Us and Them does not work well for me, now that I gave the album a clear listen for a review. Here's an example of how awful it can get at times:

July 02, 2022 01:39 AM

Really struggled with this sloppy drum & bass/industrial metal hybrid. The metal component sounds uninspired & phoned in.

October 30, 2022 02:30 AM

Probably the absolute worst of those Dawn of Ashes remixes, far more suitable for the dance-floor than an extreme metal moshpit:

November 18, 2022 01:36 AM

I thought there would never be a remix as atrocious as that Dawn of Ashes stinker above, but I was wrong:

December 07, 2022 01:40 PM

Awful Marilyn Manson-sounding bullsh*t:

December 27, 2022 06:48 AM

Nothing but a sh*tty lengthy rant from a foul-mouthed cop:

January 06, 2023 08:15 AM

This one starts as a slow serene ballad, but the horrible auto-tuned singing ruins everything:

March 15, 2023 11:46 AM

Seriously, why would they ruin something sounding potentially good by f***ing hiding it too deep in the mix!?

May 09, 2023 12:41 PM

They just had to taint an otherwise perfect album with some f***ing rap metal sh*t:

May 10, 2023 01:33 AM

The metal covers I like are ones that metalize the original song, but this sh*tty attempt at a Nirvana cover is so not the way to do it:

May 10, 2023 08:58 AM

Forget any claims I've made about that Nirvana cover being Fear Factory's lowest point of the career, this is f***ing worse:

May 30, 2023 10:24 AM

Distorted sh*t that shouldn't have existed:

September 10, 2023 11:58 PM

A dull sh*tter that doesn't please me at all:

September 29, 2023 01:02 AM

A sh*tty slow trainwreck (no pun intended, maybe):

September 29, 2023 01:38 PM

Another sh*tty trainwreck that shouldn't have f***ing existed: