DIS vs DAT Thread - The Sphere Edition

First Post April 02, 2020 10:12 AM

Inspired by the new DIS vs DAT thing on Metal Academy, in turn inspired by that weekly feature on Utopia Records' Facebook page, I decided to turn this conversation-starting activity into a full thread instead of separate threads. Got a couple albums with the same genre and release year that you can't decide which has the greater edge? Share them here!

April 19, 2020 11:54 AM

Testing out some cross-clan posting, this is for The Sphere members. Two industrial metal classics released in 1992! Which one has the greater edge? Choose one and explain the reason!

June 10, 2020 07:41 AM

They're both classic releases in their own right in my opinion & I've scored them both a 4.5/5 however Ministry takes the honours due to a slightly darker atmosphere & the unnerving hints at drug-fueled insanity.

Ministry 1- Nine Inch Nails 0

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 10, 2020 12:18 PM

Ministry for sure. Fell in love with it immediately back in 1992 and knew that there was only one thing that I could do. Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long! :smirk:

Ministry 2

NIN 0

June 10, 2020 02:54 PM

I had to check out Broken to finally take part in one of these and wow, I must be missing something with Nine Inch Nails. I was never really a fan of them but this isn't even close, Ministry all the way. 

Ministry - 3

NIN - 0

June 10, 2020 07:40 PM

In fairness to Trent Reznor, "Broken" isn't his most celebrated work. It's just his most metal release. I think this vote would have been a lot less one-sided  if Al Jourgensen was up against "The Downward Spiral" or "The Fragile". It's been a while since I've listened to those records but I always regarded them as being amongst the great classics of industrial music as a whole so there's a possibility that my vote may have gone the other way.

June 11, 2020 12:07 AM
Well that was too easy. At that rate, Psalm 69 would remain on top, so I declare Ministry the winner, three to one! So for the next round, we'll take Ministry to the Genre Vs. Genre thread and pair it up with an album with a different industrial metal subgenre, Neue Deutsche Härte, to make things a little more challenging. See you on the Genre side....
December 27, 2020 12:18 AM

Inspired by seeing only two Sphere releases have 10 ratings, I decided to continue this DIS vs DAT tournament with one of those two Sphere releases and another Ministry album. Ministry already won the previous round, so if that band wins this one, then they win the tournament. If the other band wins, then the tournament would continue with that band. So here they are, two industrial metal classics released in 1989! Which one has the greater edge? Choose one and explain the reason!

December 27, 2020 04:21 AM

There's no doubt that "The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste" is a classic album in its own right however "Streetcleaner" is the finest work from the premier performer in the entire industrial metal genre so I didn't really hesitate in deciding to go with Godflesh here.

December 27, 2020 06:08 AM

Update due to Daniel's vote:

Godflesh - 1

Ministry - 0

I plan on reviewing both albums to see which one I would vote for, but not right now, since I'm still on my break from listening to full albums, so I'll review them on New Year's Day. Another interesting reviewing challenge coming up for me...

January 04, 2021 01:22 AM

I've just listened to and reviewed both of those 1989 Sphere albums, and I consider them both great 4.5-star releases that help pioneer industrial metal. But the one I prefer is... Godflesh's Streetcleaner! Yeah, I definitely agree about Godflesh's debut having premiered the entire genre and being their finest hour. That Ministry album is a great classic too; most of the songs in that album are perfect and would've made my real entryway into industrial metal...if it weren't for two meddling stinkers towards the end that made the rating plummet slightly lower than that Godflesh album. With that, Godflesh makes my vote!

Godflesh - 2

Ministry - 0

July 02, 2021 11:32 PM
Since it's been almost 6 months and no further activity has been made in this thread, I'm gonna end it here and declare the winner of part 2, which is... Godflesh's Streetcleaner, two to zero!! However, I'm not gonna start part 3 just yet because I plan on pairing up another Godflesh album with another industrial metal album, and it might be better to wait until I've expanded my industrial metal interest further. So this tournament is put on hold for now...