Make a recommendation to a fellow member of The Revolution

May 12, 2021 12:00 PM

Loathe- "I Let It In & It Took Everything" (2020)

Andi, I think you should check out our May feature release for The Gateway.

October 08, 2021 06:21 PM

Frontierer - Oxidized (2021)

Given what I've read about your feelings about Botch and Converge Daniel, I think you'll have to check this one out. As soon as possible. Like, right now. Immediately, even. It's just pure harshness and I surprisingly love it. 

October 31, 2021 08:23 PM

Every Time I Die - "Radical" (2021)

Andi, I think you should check out the brand new ninth album "Radical" from Buffalo-based metalcore outfit Every Time I Die. I first became acquainted with them back in 2012 through their "Ex Lives" album which I really enjoyed so I thought I'd check this one out after seeing it receiving a fair bit of praise from fans & media. It's a very solid release too. You'll find all of the usual metalcore traits here but the difference is that Every Time I Die are a class act & execute everything splendidly. There's a sophistication to the instrumentation which occasionally borders on mathcore complexity but there's also plenty of variation with the band throwing in a few more commercially focused alternative rock influenced numbers that show off a surprising amount of talent in song-writing & hook-development amidst their usual hardcore fuelled ferocity. Front man Keith Buckley screams his fucking head off as expected but also showcases a variety of alternative influences from Tom Araya to Serj Tankian to Zack de la Rocha at various times. The album opens & closes with its best tracks which are both absolutely sublime & I left the experience feeling well satisfied with my efforts.

For fans of Coalesce, Ithaca & Drowningman.

4/5

October 31, 2021 11:04 PM

Another radical recommendation from you, Daniel! I shall give this album a listen and a review as soon as I can... 

November 06, 2021 12:28 AM

Indeed a radical comeback album for Every Time I Die. Cheers for the rec, Daniel! 5/5

November 16, 2021 02:24 AM

Thanks again for all these incredible recommendations, Daniel! Now it's my turn to recommend a Revolution album to you. The new Silent Planet album Iridescent is a real mind-blower and might surely please you with a more modern progressive-ish take on the slight ambient-infused metalcore of Skycamefalling and Hopesfall, given your good feelings about them. Please feel free to check this out and, once Ben adds it to the site, write a review for it.

February 10, 2022 02:11 PM

Daniel, here's another Revolution recommendation that I think would fit your taste of the ultra-extreme metal/mathcore of Gulch, Fawn Limbs, Inside the Beehive. The first two releases by Daughters; Canada Songs and Hell Songs. Please feel free to check them out, both albums as one. They'll surely blow you away:

February 10, 2022 07:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up Andi. I haven't heard those albums before. I know you're not a fan of any of the bands you've compared these records to though. What gives these records the edge over the Gulch's & Inside The Beehive's of the world?

February 10, 2022 10:34 PM

In my opinion, Daughters knew how to do their chaotic grind-mathcore in a way that I can stand. Sure they have the mind-blowing drumming, high screechy vocals, short songs, and time/tempo changes, but the guitar talent being unique and listenable is what sets them apart from other bands of a similar style including Gulch and Inside the Beehive. And there's more melodic experimentation in Hell Songs while keeping the mathematical chaos that has dominated Canada Songs. That's the chaos I prefer!

May 19, 2022 10:39 AM

Here's my recommendation for you, Daniel, that's close enough to the experimental jazz/death metal/mathcore of Candiria. I'm more experienced with Car Bomb and can find my way through their experimental mathcore with hints of jazz and death metal. After your experience with this month's featured release, Mordial, their previous album Meta might be up your alley with those influences, especially a guest appearance from the vocalist of a certain band that took tech-death into more brutal lengths.

Saxy, I know you aren't fond of Mordial, but Meta has a bit more melody and "death metal" stuff that could make you like mathcore slightly more, so this might also be for you. Of course you don't have to proceed further if it's more than you can take.

June 07, 2022 05:26 PM

Static Dress - Rouge Carpet Disaster

I know Andi enjoys the romp of a mid 2000s post-hardcore/metalcore record, so I'm guessing you'll enjoy this trip down nostalgia lane from this new UK outlet.

https://staticdress.bandcamp.com/album/rouge-carpet-disaster

June 08, 2022 02:03 AM

Static Dress - Rouge Carpet Disaster

I know Andi enjoys the romp of a mid 2000s post-hardcore/metalcore record, so I'm guessing you'll enjoy this trip down nostalgia lane from this new UK outlet.

https://staticdress.bandcamp.com/album/rouge-carpet-disaster

Quoted Saxy S

You're right about me enjoying this, Saxy. A couple songs have some vulnerable weaknesses, but it's highly enjoyable. Thanks for this! This band revived the scene from 20 years ago with fresh sounds to make their own sound more unique and less tiring. Rouge Carpet Disaster might just be the start of a new emo generation!

4.5/5

January 10, 2023 11:24 AM

Daniel, seeing how much you've been enjoying some releases that mix metalcore with sludge metal (Admiral Angry, Knut, etc.), I don't think you'll have any problem checking out Trenches' fantastic comeback album Reckoner.

April 10, 2023 12:30 PM

Daniel, seeing how much you've been enjoying some releases that mix mathcore with grindcore, I don't think you'll have any problem checking out this killer brutal EP from Premonitions of War: