Make a recommendation to a fellow member of The Pit

October 23, 2020 07:37 PM

Ben, have you ever checked this one out? I think you'll dig it.

October 29, 2020 08:49 PM

Vinny, this one should appeal to you if you're not already familiar with it.

November 02, 2020 07:59 PM

Sonny, this is an absolute no-brainer for you.

November 02, 2020 08:04 PM

Will get on it tomorrow...

November 03, 2020 08:06 PM

Sonny, this is an absolute no-brainer for you.

Quoted Daniel

Fantastic.. it inhabits that dark, foetid zone between thrash and death metal that I love. Energetic and invigorating. Thanks for the rec.

November 08, 2020 08:32 PM

I notice you haven't rated this one Sonny. It's a fucking strong release that more than holds its own with the big boys at the more extreme end of thrash.

November 08, 2020 09:57 PM

To be honest, Daniel, my experience with Sepultura begins with Beneath the Remains and ends with Chaos A.D., both of which are firm favourites. I've never really considered their earlier releases, but I will check it out sometime this week.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
November 08, 2020 11:53 PM

I agree with Daniel on this one. A very solid release that was actually pretty exciting at the time!

November 09, 2020 07:24 PM

I notice you haven't rated this one Sonny. It's a fucking strong release that more than holds its own with the big boys at the more extreme end of thrash.

Quoted Daniel

Thanks once more Daniel for a quality rec. I think I've found my new favourite Sepultura album and I feel you have repaid me for causing me to listen to that fucking terrible Tainted Love cover!!

November 22, 2020 11:42 PM

Andi, if you haven't checked this one out then I'd suggest you do.

November 23, 2020 01:16 AM
That's quite an old release, but sure! Another Voivod album review coming right up...
November 23, 2020 08:29 AM

Thanks to Killing Technology, I've realized the progressive thrash perfection of this Voivod album and the next two. I think that album would fit well as December's Featured Release for The Pit, though you might not agree, Daniel. Anyway, cheers for the rec! 5/5

I also have a special plan for how I would confirm my newly-growing interest in Voivod. More info about that in this list description: https://metal.academy/lists/single/78

November 25, 2020 08:13 PM

I've just added my "Top Ten Thrash Metal Releases of 1987" list to the Public Lists section if anyone's interested:

https://metal.academy/lists/single/95

01. Anthrax - "Among The Living"

02. Metallica - "The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-revisited" E.P.

03. Exumer - "Rising From The Sea"

04. Sepultura - "Schizophrenia"

05. Sodom - "Persecution Mania"

06. Sacrifice - "Forward To Termination"

07. Destruction - "Release From Agony"

08. Sacred Reich - "Ignorance"

09. Testament - "The Legacy"

10. Infernäl Mäjesty - "None Shall Defy"

December 30, 2020 06:23 PM

Sonny, Vinny & Ben, I'd strongly recommend that you all jump onto this undiscovered gem from 1988. You can expect some vicious US thrash ala Dark Angel, Vio-lence & Slayer.

February 12, 2021 05:25 PM

Daniel, I noticed you haven't rated this yet.

February 13, 2021 12:14 AM

It’s actually an old favourite of mine from my tape trading days Sonny. This serves as a welcome reminder that I’ve never gotten around to rating it though so I’ll stick it into my playlist for the next few weeks.

February 21, 2021 10:22 AM

Daniel, I noticed you haven't rated this yet.

Quoted Sonny92

Well that took me back to a much simpler time in my life & I found that I still really dig Merciless' aggressive brand of Swedish death/thrash. "The Awakening" kinda sounds like the more brutal Kreator, Protector & Dark Angel material with some unusually vicious vocals elevating it above your average thrasher into more deathly territory. There's a little bit of early Morbid Angel about the style of the riffs too which can't be a bad thing but I think this album could have done with some shredding solos to take it to the next level. Very solid stuff indeed though so thanks to Sonny for reminding me that I needed to give it a revisit.

4/5

P.S. Ben, you should check this out if you haven't already.

April 08, 2021 03:06 PM

Steel Bearing Hand - Slay In Hell

Paging Daniel and Vinny.

April 08, 2021 03:13 PM

Paging Daniel and Vinny.

Quoted Xephyr

Thanks, will check out.

April 19, 2021 09:05 PM

Paging Daniel and Vinny.

Quoted Xephyr

Thanks a lot for the heads up on this one Xephyr. I hadn't heard of Dallas-based thrashers Steel Bearing Hand before but really fucking enjoyed this album. It's kinda hard to describe Steel Bearing Hand's sound as they combine so many different elements but not often at the one time. Instead, they tend to drop bits & pieces of widely disparate influences on the listener without ever really attempting to tie them all together but, in doing so, show themselves to have such a good understanding of the individual elements that you find yourself easily forgiving them. Three of the six tracks sit fairly comfortably under the blackened thrash tag as they layer black metal vocals over a speed metal-infused thrash sound similar to Destruction. "Lich Gate" on the other hand seems to sit somewhere between the death 'n' roll of Entombed, the more brutal Swedish death metal of Grave & the death/thrash sound of Deceased.... But it's the two lengthier closers of both sides that really do it for me as they both beautifully straddle a crushingly heavy death/doom metal sound that brings to mind the slower works of Asphyx & Dead Congregation. Hell, you'll even hear parts of this album that sound very much like "Blood Fire Death" era Bathory or classic Cannibal Corpse so there's a lot to take in across the relatively short 39 minute duration. The production perfectly balances clarity with a rawer underground authenticity & the performances are all excellent so there's a lot to like here, despite the apparent lack of focus. There's been no sacrifice on melody in the quest for intensity either. "Slay In Hell" is a metal-as-fuck excursion through all the things that make extreme metal so great & I'm very surprised Steel Bearing Hand haven't received more attention as this is unquestionably the best 2020's thrash metal release I've heard to date.

For fans of Deceased..., Destruction & Asphyx.

4/5

P.S. Sonny, you'll want to check this one out too.

April 25, 2021 01:24 PM

"I'm very surprised Steel Bearing Hand haven't received more attention as this is unquestionably the best 2020's thrash metal release I've heard to date" is dead right indeed. In fact, I didn't register at first that it was a new release at all. I was convinced it was early 90's through and through. Thrash, death, black metal and best of all filthy-sounding Autopsy-style death doom. At 26 minutes it's a short, sharp shock like a dagger between the ribs that packs as big a punch as Mike Tyson on Angel Dust!

April 25, 2021 03:43 PM

I am the only one who struggled with this it seems.  I just found too much to be going on at one time and wasn’t a big fan of the production (notwithstanding it is supposed to be low values).  Might revisit one day but not feeling it right now.

May 01, 2021 01:27 PM

This has no ratings on the site yet, but Daniel & Vinny I think you both may find something to enjoy in this obscure gem of UK thrash from 1988:

May 17, 2021 09:23 PM

Gave "Rather Death Than False Of Faith" a few spins yesterday Sonny. I was initially put off by the awful production & sloppy performances (particularly the incompetent solos) however repeat listens saw me buying into the brash & overthetop brand of European style thrash that Hydra Vein are pushing. There's plenty of Slayer, Anihilated & Kreator on offer as well as the occasion foray with the Bay Area ala Exodus/Testament. I didn't mind it in the end although I don't think it was helped by the fact that a couple of the weaker songs reside in the opening three as I certainly found my enjoyment levels growing as the tracklisting progressed. I'll go with a respectable 3.5/5.