Metal Academy Radio Playlist Suggestions - The Infinite Edition

First Post August 24, 2020 04:24 AM

So I'm sure you're probably aware that we've been trialing a new concept through our Metal Academy Radio Spotify playlists recently, right? Well some of our regular contributors & I have been discussing the idea of our clan members making a contribution to the monthly playlists by making recommendations on tracks for inclusion. To make it a true playlist, we'd encourage you to stick predominantly to your favourite tracks from releases you listen to across the course of each month rather than something you enjoyed some time ago as this will make the tracklistings somewhat of a reflection of our member's current playlists which was always our long-term intention. It can be new, old, classic or underground... whatever you happen to be digging at the time as long as it fits in with the clan's designated subgenres. At this stage we're going with a policy of only members of the associated clan being eligible to make submissions for the relevant playlists so that they're a truly clan-based undertaking.

So please treat this thread as your opportunity to contribute guys. We need to make sure that these playlists offer a broad cross-section of the clan's musical footprint so we can't promise that everything will make the final cut but let's see what ya got!

August 24, 2020 11:41 AM

Here are some of my suggestions for next month's Infinite playlist, please choose any of these songs:

Dream Theater - "As I Am" (Train of Thought, 2003)

Mayan - "Undercurrent" (Undercurrent, 2018)

Nevermore - "The Sound of Silence" (from Dead Heart in a Dead World, 2000)

Opeth - "Demon of the Fall" (from My Arms, Your Hearse, 1998)

Pain of Salvation - "Ashes" (from The Perfect Element I, 2000)

Seventh Wonder - "The Black Parade" (from Mercy Falls, 2008)

Symphony X - "Nevermore" (from Underworld, 2015)

September 01, 2020 09:05 AM

Xephyr & saxy, do you have a few track submissions for the September The Infinite playlist from your August listening sessions (max. three each)?

September 01, 2020 01:12 PM

Protest The Hero - "All Hands" - Palimpsest 

Black Crown Initiate - "Invitation" - Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape

Imperial Triumphant - "Atomic Age" - Alphaville

September 18, 2020 09:56 PM

Hi guys. I'm looking to have the playlists ready for release on the first day of every month moving forwards so I'm getting organised early. These are the tracks that I have leftover from last month which will be considered for inclusion again:

Andi

Dream Theater - "As I Am" (Train of Thought, 2003)

Mayan - "Undercurrent" (Undercurrent, 2018)

Opeth - "Demon of the Fall" (from My Arms, Your Hearse, 1998)

Any more submissions from The Infinite members before I finalize the playlist? Moving forwards I'd suggest simply dropping individual tracks in here whenever you discover them instead of waiting for me to ask as that will give me the most flexibility to do the playlists whenever I get the time & without having to wait to see if anyone responds. 

September 18, 2020 11:29 PM
Oh, guess I didn't have to add in more suggestions for October's playlist. Thanks for keeping my leftover tracks, Daniel!
September 21, 2020 04:14 PM

For October

Isis - "1,000 Shards" - In The Absence Of Truth

John Petrucci - "Gemini" - Terminal Velocity

Chaos Divine - "Landmines" - Colliding Skies

September 25, 2020 08:14 PM

Thanks for your submissions everyone. The October playlist is now completed.

FYI Andi, your MaYaN track wasn't available on Spotify so I couldn't consider it for inclusion.

September 25, 2020 11:36 PM
Oh, well if I knew that before the playlist's completion, I would've added another suggestion. Can't wait to see the October playlist!
October 09, 2020 12:05 PM

Here are my suggestions for November's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Ne Obliviscaris - "Intra Venus" (from Urn, 2017)

Seventh Wonder - "The Promise (Studio version)" (from Welcome to Atlanta Live 2014, 2016)

The Contortionist - "Flourish" (from Exoplanet, 2010)

October 09, 2020 10:35 PM
Please get your submissions in by 15th October if you want them considered for inclusion in the November playlist (maximum three each). And remember, there are four subgenres covered by The Infinite: progressive metal, djent, avant-garde metal & post-metal. 
October 12, 2020 05:30 PM

Intervals - "Slight Of Hand" - The Shape of Color

Amorphis - "Heart of the Giant" - Queen of Time

DGM - "Daydreamer" - The Passage

November 11, 2020 07:45 AM

Here are my suggestions for December's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Between the Buried and Me - "Silent Flight Parliament" (from The Parallax II: Future Sequence, 2012)

Evergrey - "Hymns for the Broken" (from Hymns for the Broken, 2014)

Opeth - "The Drapery Falls" (from Blackwater Park, 2001)

November 12, 2020 02:44 AM

December

Chaos Divine - "Unspoken" - Legacies

Anubis Gate - "Airwaves" - Horizons

DGM - "Tragic Separation" - Tragic Separation

December 12, 2020 07:13 AM

Here are my suggestions for January's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Dream Theater -  "Lie" (from Awake, 1994)

Meshuggah - "New Millennium Cyanide Christ" (from Chaosphere, 1998)

The Ocean - "She Was the Universe" (from Anthropocentric, 2010)

December 14, 2020 04:52 PM

January

Lucid Planet - "Anamnesis" - Lucid Planet II (2020)

Caligula's Horse - "Valkyries" - Rise Radiant (2020)

Imperial Triumphant - "The Greater Good" - Alphaville (2020)

January 11, 2021 11:24 AM

Here are my suggestions for February's playlist. Daniel, please choose these songs:

Between the Buried and Me - "White Walls" (from Colors, 2007)

In Mourning - "A Vow to Conquer the Ocean" (from The Weight of Oceans, 2012)

Meshuggah - "Shed" (from Catch Thirtythree, 2005)

February 10, 2021 02:13 AM

Here are my suggestions for March's playlist, Daniel. This time, because of the February Infinite playlist being so great that I reviewed all 17 of its songs (later cut down to just 11), I'm gonna try suggesting 4 songs instead of 3, with this first one being the ultimate test of pushing that limit:

Cult of Luna - "Vicarious Redemption" (from Vertikal, 2013)

OK here's the thing about that Cult of Luna song. "Vicarious Redemption" is a long post-/progressive metal epic that I love so much and wanna find it in a playlist. I don't know if you would approve of that song going into this playlist because it's pretty close to the 20-minute limit, and you've learned your lesson after denying my earlier suggestion for a Solstafir epic, but it's a good test to see if you're OK with this one and can accept 4 suggestions rather than just 3 for The Infinite. Here are my other 3:

Devin Townsend - "Sky Blue" (from Z², 2014)

Evergrey - "In Remembrance" (from Monday Morning Apocalypse, 2006)

Pain of Salvation - "Ending Theme" (from Remedy Lane, 2002)

February 15, 2021 04:44 PM

March

Alcest - "Kodama" - Kodama

Soen - "Lumerian" - Imperial

Caligula's Horse - "Dark Hair Down" - The Thief, The Tide, And River's End

February 26, 2021 09:40 PM

We'll go with a maximum of five monthly The Infinite playlist submissions each moving forwards guys.

February 26, 2021 10:47 PM
Sounds great, thanks Daniel!
March 08, 2021 12:42 PM

Here are my suggestions for April's playlist, following the 5 tracks in 30 minutes rule that I've applied to when I'm submitting for my 4 clans:

Animals as Leaders - "Song of Solomon" (4:16) from Animals as Leaders (2009)

Ayreon - "Day Eleven: Love" (4:18) from The Human Equation (2004)

The Contortionist - "Follow" (3:47) from Our Bones (2019)

Meshuggah - "Marrow" (5:37) from Koloss (2012)

Neurosis - "Souls at Zero" (9:18) from Souls at Zero (1992)

Total length: 27:16

March 14, 2021 01:54 AM

April

Evergrey - "Leaden Saints" - Escape of the Phoenix (2021)

Witherfall - "Tempest" - Curse of Autumn (2021)

IOTUNN - "Waves Below" - Access All Worlds (2021)

Opeth - "The Funeral Portrait" - Blackwater Park (2001)

Ne Obliviscaris - "Forget Not" - Portal Of I (2012)

March 14, 2021 02:02 AM
Replaced two submissions... (see my list above)