January 2021 Feature Release - The Horde Edition

First Post December 31, 2020 08:36 PM

So we've now managed to rid ourselves of the pathetic excuse for a year that was 2020 which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We're really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don't be shy.

This month's feature release for The Horde is 1996's classic sophomore album "Here In After" from New York death metal legends Immolation. The band had made a significant impact on the extreme metal scene with their highly praised 1991 debut album "Dawn of Possession" however fans would have to wait a full five years for a follow-up so we'll be interested to see if you think it was worth the wait.

https://metal.academy/releases/642

January 01, 2021 01:47 PM

Great start to 2021 with this and my favourite Overkill album in The Pit too.  Will be flexing my fingers on a couple of reviews over the bank holiday weekend.

EDIT : Already reviewed Overkill. Doh!

January 04, 2021 05:47 AM

It appears to me that the general consensus surrounding this album is far more conflicted than I would have anticipated. Most people really enjoy Here In After, but many reviews, including here on this website, pull this record back because of its polish from a production standpoint. That's one of the biggest issues I have with death metal as a sound, as well as it ferocious fanbase; death metal could have been making huge strides in production during the five year span between Dawn of Possession and this, but the fanbase will not allow it. Only the melo death groups from Scandinavia like At The Gates and Dark Tranquility were willing to take the clean dive. And those groups almost never receive the same recognition and acclaim as Immolation, Gorguts, or Morbid Angel.

As a result, I have always been a "basic" death metal fan who prefers melo death, and the technical stuff I do like is from a band such as Atheist and my favourite Death album is The Sound of Perseverance. But let me say... I really enjoyed Here in After! The cleaner sound give the bass some explosive punch that make the tempo changes hit with authority instead of sounding like sloppy mixtapes. Hooks are sparse, after all this is a death metal album, but the stuff that we do get is pronounced and the songs themselves have recurring themes and motifs that are reinterpreted throughout the song structures. And the structures are hectic, modulating through numerous time signatures and tempo changes as is common in this style of music. And they are weaved together remarkably well.

If I had to nitpick, some of the percussion does not maintain a consistent level of proficiency throughout the record. "Nailed To Gold" opens the album very sloppy and had me initially dreading the rest of the record. "Away From God" is also a fairly weak cut overall. But songs like "Burn With Jesus", "I Feel Nothing" and the awesome closer "Christ's Cage" are some of the best sounding tech death I've heard in a long time. In some regards, Here In After reminded me a lot of Ulcerate's Stare Into Death And Be Still from last year. The cleaner production makes it sound like a breath of fresh air and it still holds up to this day.

8/10

January 04, 2021 09:41 PM

I still can't call whether it is the debut or this album that I prefer but this release is full of looming and complex angles that have enough light on them to make them catchy and memorable.  Accessible without sacrificing the threat of each track the album has a level of engagement and instant appeal that is not always present on such releases.  Helped in no small part by Dolan's appropriate yet legible vocal delivery and those cutting and entertaining riff patterns the album offers points of interest at every turn.

4.5/5

https://metal.academy/reviews/19644/642

January 07, 2021 11:40 AM

"Here In After" is of course a very solid slab of traditional death metal although it's not without its flaws. There's not a huge amount of variety on offer but I can accept that from a band whose primary focus is on brutality & the creation of dark atmospheres. My main concern is with the performances as Immolation do tend to sound a little sloppy here at times, particularly in the drumming department which causes several sections to break down into a bit of a mess. Thankfully the previously mentioned atmosphere is always evident & the consistency of the tracklisting allows the band to hold my interest throughout. Besides, I can't deny that I love the death metal sound in its purest form & the interesting guitar solos always get me with their unique approach to melody & phrasing. "Here In After" is a clear step down from my favourite Immolation record in 2000's classic "Close To A World Below" but you can't really go wrong with it if you're a fan of Incantation, Morbid Angel & early Gorguts.

4/5