Metal Academy Radio Playlist Suggestions - The Horde Edition

First Post August 24, 2020 04:23 AM

So I'm sure you're probably aware that we've been trialing a new concept through our Metal Academy Radio Spotify playlists recently, right? Well some of our regular contributors & I have been discussing the idea of our clan members making a contribution to the monthly playlists by making recommendations on tracks for inclusion. To make it a true playlist, we'd encourage you to stick predominantly to your favourite tracks from releases you listen to across the course of each month rather than something you enjoyed some time ago as this will make the tracklistings somewhat of a reflection of our member's current playlists which was always our long-term intention. It can be new, old, classic or underground... whatever you happen to be digging at the time as long as it fits in with the clan's designated subgenres. At this stage we're going with a policy of only members of the associated clan being eligible to make submissions for the relevant playlists so that they're a truly clan-based undertaking.

So please treat this thread as your opportunity to contribute guys. We need to make sure that these playlists offer a broad cross-section of the clan's musical footprint so we can't promise that everything will make the final cut but let's see what ya got!

August 24, 2020 11:57 AM

Here are some of my suggestions for next month's Horde playlist, please choose any of these songs:

At the Gates - "Blinded by Fear" (from Slaughter of the Soul, 1995)

Before the Dawn - "Silence" (from Soundscape of Silence, 2008)

Children of Bodom - "Mass Hypnosis" (from Something Wild, 1997)

In Flames - "Only for the Weak" (from Clayman, 2000)

The Crimson Armada - "The Serpent's Tongue" (from Guardians, 2009)

August 25, 2020 07:57 AM

Bolt Thrower “The Killchain”

Asphyx “The Krusher”

Deicide “Dead By Dawn”

Gorguts “Orphan of Sickness”

Carcass “Heartwork”

Morbid Angel “Maze of Torment”

Altarage “Altars”

Massacre “Dawn of Eternity”

Master “Funeral Bitch”

Obituary “Chopped in Half”

September 01, 2020 09:03 AM

Ben, have you got a few recommendations for the September The Horde playlist?

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
September 03, 2020 05:45 AM

OK, as tempting as it is to include some classics, it looks like MacabreEternal has that sorted. Let's see if I can come up with a few that others might not have heard.

Illdisposed - I Believe in Me from 1-800 Vindication (2004) - I suggest starting the playlist with this track.

Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge from Onset of Putrefaction (2004)

Hate - Lux Aeterna from Erebos (2010)

September 12, 2020 04:39 PM

In early with my three for October:

Disaffected - No Feelings Left (from the album Vast)

Portal - The Back Wards (from Vexvoid)

Wormed - Agliptian Codex Cyborgization (from Krigshu)

September 18, 2020 09:50 PM

Hi guys. I'm looking to have the playlists ready for release on the first day of every month moving forwards so I'm getting organised early. These are the tracks that I have leftover from last month which will be considered for inclusion again:

MacabreEternal

Bolt Thrower “The Killchain”

Asphyx “The Krusher”

Deicide “Dead By Dawn”

Morbid Angel “Maze of Torment”

Obituary “Chopped in Half”

Disaffected - No Feelings Left (from the album Vast)

Portal - The Back Wards (from Vexvoid) 

Wormed - Agliptian Codex Cyborgization (from Krigshu)

There's a fair few fairly classic tracks there & a lot of them sit in the same subgenre so I probably won't include all of them. Any more submissions from The Horde members before I finalize the playlist?  Moving forwards I'd suggest simply dropping individual tracks in here whenever you discover them instead of waiting for me to ask as that will give me the most flexibility to do the playlists whenever I get the time & without having to wait to see if anyone responds.

Ben
Ben
September 21, 2020 09:57 PM

I'll go for some goodies from the naughties...

1. Nile - Cast Down the Heretic from Annihilation of the Wicked (2005)
  2. Septic Flesh - Virtues of the Beast from Sumerian Daemons (2003)
  3. In Mourning -  Past October Skies (The Black Lodge Revisited) from Shrouded Divine (2008)
September 24, 2020 09:08 PM

Thanks for all of your submissions. The October playlist is now completed.

October 09, 2020 09:28 PM

Please get your submissions in by 15th October if you want them considered for inclusion in the November playlist (maximum three each).

Vinny, I've got five of your submissions leftover from previous months so I'm probably good to go there. I'll see if I can get them all in so we can start fresh for December.

Ben
Ben
October 12, 2020 01:04 AM

Alright...three very different tracks...from three different decades.

1. Dark Tranquillity - Hours Passed in Exile from Damage Done (2002)
  2. Nocturnus - Possess the Priest from the Nocturnus EP (1993)
  3. Fallujah - Starlit Path from The Flesh Prevails (2014)
Ben
Ben
November 14, 2020 08:26 AM

Mors Principium Est - Pure from The Unborn (2005)

Akercocke - Verdelet from Words That Go Unspoken, Deads That Go Undone (2005)

Behemoth - O Father O Satan O Sun! from The Satanist (2014)

November 14, 2020 01:26 PM

Black Curse - Seared Eyes from Endless Wound (2020)

Vastum - Re-member from Carnal Law (2011)

Grave Miasma - Glorification of the Impure from Endless Pilgrimage (2016)

Ben
Ben
January 14, 2021 09:43 PM

Lost Soul - Personal Universe from Immerse in Infinity (2009)

Enshine - Stream of Light from Origin (2013)

Horrendous - Soothsayer from Idol (2018)

Ben
Ben
February 13, 2021 10:32 PM

Carcass -  Incarnated Solvent Abuse from Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)

Into Eternity - Splintered Visions from Buried in Oblivion (2004) - I really wish I could see my brother's face when he listens to this

Ulcerate - Stare Into Death and Be Still from Stare Into Death and Be Still (2020)

February 14, 2021 09:01 AM

Morta Skuld - Devoured Fears from Dying Remains (1993)

Baphomet- Streaks of Blood from The Dead Shall Inherit (1993)

Hate Eternal - Lake Ablaze from Phoenix Amongst the Ashes (2011)

February 26, 2021 09:38 PM

I've upped the limit to a maximum of five monthly The Horde playlist submissions each moving forwards guys.

March 05, 2021 04:20 PM

Bolt Thrower - What Dwells Within from War Master (1991)

Morbid Angel - Rebel Lands from Blessed Are The Sick (1991)

The Chasm - Architects of Melancholic Apocalypse from Procession to the Infraworld (2000)

Dead Congregation - Teeth Into Red from Graves of the Archangels (2008)

Krisiun - A Thousand Graves from Scourge of the Enthroned (2018)

Ben
Ben
March 15, 2021 01:30 AM

I think I need to offset the pure death metal awesomeness that MacabreEternal has selected with at least a couple of less traditional offerings. Hmmmm...

Slaves to the Subliminal by Scar Symmetry off Pitch Black Progress (2006) - I've never been fond of all the clean vocals that Scar Symmetry rely on, but at least the death vocals are brutal. Definitely their best album. (5:04)

The Battle of Geeheeb by Pan.Thy.Monium off Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion (1996) - Speaking of less traditional, this is one of the weirdest (and wonderful) efforts you're likely to hear. You'll either hate this album or it will change your life. Which are you? (11:55)

Mystic Places of Dawn by Septic Flesh off Mystic Places of Dawn (1994) - I've been a fan of these Greeks since 1996's Ezontpon album, so it's always bothered me how ignored their early work is. This is a fantastic debut death metal album that already showcases the things that make this band unique and awesome. (6:14)

Slaughter of Innocence by Malevolent Creation off Retribution (1992) - Malevolent Creation have never again reached the heights of their first two albums, and vocalist Bret Hoffmann has a lot to do with that. This track will show you why. (3:44)

Meticulous Invagination by Aborted off Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done (2003) - The doctor is in! That is all. (3:02)

Total Length: 29:59 (I promise that wasn't intentional!)

April 01, 2021 11:34 AM

For May -

Defeated Sanity - Propelled Into Sacrilege from The Sanguinary Impetus (2020)

Cannibal Corpse - Inhumane Harvest from Violence Unimagined (2021)

Celestial Sanctuary - Rid the Gormless from Soul Diminished (2021)

Werewolves - Antisocial from What A Time To Be Alive (2021)

Autopsy - Corpses at War from Puncturing the Grotesque (2017)

EDIT - just seen the new arrangements so adding my other 11 mins on with:

Suffocation - Synthetically Revived from Human Waste EP (1991)

Mortiferum - Inhuman Effigy from Disgorged From Psychotic Depths (2019)

April 01, 2021 07:52 PM

This month's criteria for The Horde playlist submissions is as follows: 30 min each clan member, no track limits

April 08, 2021 02:43 PM

Here are my suggestions for May's Horde playlist:

Darkest Hour - "Savor the Kill" (3:48) from The Human Romance (2011)

Across the Sun - "Descent & Discovery" (4:02) from Before the Night Takes Us (2011)

April 08, 2021 03:30 PM

Interesting suggestions, Theo! Unfortunately, Daniel doesn’t accept Horde suggestions from non-clan members, though I say the idea of two Horde submissions from each non-member might be possible in the future depending on how well the “one Gateway/Revolution/Sphere from each non-member” thing turns out. Or if you feel passionate about The Horde enough to feel like joining, you can ask him or Ben to let you join The Horde so those submissions can be used. Or since Darkest Hour is known for this mix melodeath and metalcore, feel free to change your Darkest Hour submission into a song from one of their Revolution albums to add to your Revolution suggestion list if you have space left in your 30-minute list. And if you think of any good Gateway song suggestions, please add them to the Gateway thread. Sounds good?

April 08, 2021 07:13 PM
No unfortunately I won't be accepting any non-clan member submissions for The Horde & that won't be changing as we already have a decent number of clan members contributing so there's no need. In saying that though Theo, I notice that you only selected two clans when you registered for the site so you have one up your sleeve. You're welcome to pick another if you'd like & if that ends up being The Horde then I'll happily accept these submissions. Let me know if you'd like to do that.