November 2021 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post October 31, 2021 07:01 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3w8wz5HBOoks78mYzldAMq?si=f7f0c5d2b3f6416e

Tracklisting:

01. Unto Others – “Heroin” (from “Strength", 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

02. Crimson Glory – “Red Sharks” (from “Transcendence”, 1988)

03. Chevalier – “Stormbringer” (from “Destiny Calls”, 2019)

04. Omen – “Bring Out the Beast” (from “Battle Cry”, 1984)

05. Blazon Stone – “Hell on Earth” (from, “Damnation”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

06. Angra – "The Course of Nature" (from “Aurora Consurgens”, 2006) [Submitted by Andi]

07. Amberian Dawn – “Letter” (from “Circus Black”, 2012)

08. Seven Spires – “Shadows on an Endless Sea” (from “Gods of Debauchery”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

09. Vanishing Point – “Dead Elysium” (from “Dead Elysium”, 2020)

10. Battlelore – “Doombound” (from “Doombound”, 2011) [Submitted by Andi]

11. Edguy – “Nailed to the Wheel” (from “Mandrake”, 2001)

12. Running Wild – “Little Big Horn” (from “Blazon Stone - Remastered”, 2017) [Submitted by Andi]

13. Gamma Ray – “Land of the Free” (from “Land of the Free - Anniversary Edition”, 2017) [Submitted by Andi]

14. Manilla Road – “The Riddle Master” (from “Crystal Logic”, 1983)

15. Luca Turilli – “Where Heroes Lie” (from “King of the Nordic Twilight”, 1999)

16. Twilight Force – “Gates of Glory” (from “Tales of Ancient Prophecies”, 2014) [Submitted by Andi]

17. Silver Talon – “As the World Burns” (from “Decadence and Decay”, 2021)

18. Lunar Shadow – “And Silence Screamed” (from “Wish to Leave”, 2021)

19. Thornbridge – “Neverwinter Nights” (from “What Will Prevail”, 2016)

20. Vexillum – “Last Bearer's Song” (from “When Good Men Go To War”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

21. Falconer – “Wings of Serenity” (from “Falconer”, 2001)

22. Trivium - "Silence In The Snow" (from "Silence In The Snow", 2015) [Submitted by Andi]

23. Atlantean Kodex - "A Secret Byzantium - Numbered as Sand and the Stars" (from "The Course Of Empire", 2019)

Thanks a lot to Xephyr for creating this one for our listening pleasure.

November 01, 2021 03:42 AM

Good work on this playlist, Xephyr! Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Unto Others – “Heroin” (from “Strength", 2021)

4/5. A great emotional start to this playlist, though not really the best because of the gothic metal-ish sound I've departed from. Still f***ing bad-a** killer though! The singer has quite a creepy laugh during one of the headbanging parts that makes you think of Tom G. Warrior. This is not even close to DragonForce at all, but a fast heavy tune nonetheless. The sweet harmonies and solo throughout the last minute can remind some of Slayer. Basically this is the faster Type O Negative gone classic heavy metal!

Crimson Glory – “Red Sharks” (from “Transcendence”, 1988)

4.5/5. This frantic track shows a more abrasive side while still mostly melodic.

Angra – "The Course of Nature" (from “Aurora Consurgens”, 2006)

5/5. This album continues Edu Falaschi-era Angra's grand album streak since the mighty Rebirth and the conceptual Temple of Shadows. This is my favorite song Aurora Consurgens, an album I loved so much that has celebrated its 15th anniversary a couple days before writing this comment. So good! Apparently, the intro is absent in some versions. The album has massive high-quality details in majority. Aurora is, in my opinion, superior to their next couple albums, Aqua and Secret Garden. Angra has made some of the best progressive-ish power metal fresh out of Brazil.

Battlelore – “Doombound” (from “Doombound”, 2011)

5/5. Now here's a song that's one of the doomiest-sounding symphonic metal tracks I've heard, as one more farewell to The Fallen without engaging in the clan I've already severed ties from, and it's the last full song of the last album before Battlelore's hiatus (except for a reunion show a few years later). The second half of this song is one of the most touching and saddest moments of metal for me 6 years ago shortly before starting my venture into gothic metal, with the amazing angelic voice of Kaisa Jouhki, especially in the 5 and a half minute mark. That part, along with the main riff, is epic! Holy sh*t, this is pure poetry that only the true fans of Battlelore would expect. Seriously, where is that band?!? Please come back!!

Edguy – “Nailed to the Wheel” (from “Mandrake”, 2001)

4.5/5. Another song to love with sublime soloing, one of the best from this band! Edguy was more relevant back then before they started joking around in albums after this one. The soft intro might've inspired some songs by Civil War. F***ing heavy power metal that shall sweep the nation!

Running Wild – “Little Big Horn” (from “Blazon Stone - Remastered”, 2017)

4.5/5. What is with these "Little Big" titles? They don't really make sense! Is it little or big?! JUST PICK ONE!!! Anyway, all jokes set aside, this great song lets out a glimpse of hope. The band's bassist during this pirate metal starter trilogy, Jens Becker can really master his fantastic 5-string bass blasts, which was uncommon in metal but starting to catch on. A f***ing neat classic! The refrain guitar makes you thirsty for rum, or if you're a non-alcoholic like me, mountain dew as a victory drink. At some points, Rolf Kasparek can remind some of Blaze Bayley.

Gamma Ray – “Land of the Free” (from “Land of the Free - Anniversary Edition”, 2017)

5/5. Another true highlight, a real power metal anthem with guest vocals by former Helloween member Michael Kiske.

Twilight Force – “Gates of Glory” (from “Tales of Ancient Prophecies”, 2014)

4.5/5. Summon the tanks to fight against dragons in the fantasy land of power metal! Twilight Force has brought in Sabaton's Joakim Brodén for some heavy power in the vocals. I can understand the lyrics quite well. Satan would very well be in a battle against Sauron for supreme evil elsewhere. Twilight Force's lead vocalist Christian Eriksson (Chrileon) does amazing falsettos, but sadly he's out of the band.

Trivium - "Silence In The Snow" (from "Silence In The Snow", 2015)

4/5. This song is from an album by a band that would normally be thrashy metalcore, but ended up in a one-time heavy metal style due to temporary growling loss. It was also a last-minute entry to replace a different song not internationally available on Spotify. This one casts a great surge of immediacy and riffing.

Atlantean Kodex - "A Secret Byzantium - Numbered as Sand and the Stars" (from "The Course Of Empire", 2019)

3.5/5. Again I would've liked the gothic/doom-influenced heavy metal style better if I didn't lose most interest in gothic/doom metal, but there's still good beauty in melodic force, and it's quite cool ending the playlist in nearly the same style as the beginning.