June 2021 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post May 31, 2021 08:39 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3w8wz5HBOoks78mYzldAMq?si=b9952a3b453144b0

Tracklisting:

01. W.A.S.P. – “Chainsaw Charlie (Murders in the New Morgue)” (from “The Crimson Idol”, 1992) [Submitted by Vinny]

02. Numenor – “Make The Stand” (from “Draconian Age”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

03. Sirenia – “Passing Seasons” (from “Riddles, Ruins & Revelations”, 2021)

04. Ghost – “Ritual” (from “Opus Eponymous”, 2010)

05. Yngwie Malmsteen – “Making Love” (from “Eclipse”, 1990)

06. Dokken – “It’s Not Love” (from “Under Lock & Key”, 1985) [Submitted by Vinny]

07. Herzel – ”Berceau de cendre” (from “Le dernier rampart”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

08. Sabire – “Rise To the Top” (from “Gates Ajar”, 2018) [Submitted by Vinny]

09. Diamond Head – “Am I Evil?” (from “Lightning To The Nations”, 1980)

10. Cirith Ungol – “The Frost Monstreme” (from “Forever Black”, 2020) [Submitted by Xephyr]

11. U.D.O. – “Man & Machine” (from “Man & Machine”, 2002) [Submitted by Vinny]

12. Jorn – “Stormcrow” (from “The Duke”, 2006) [Submitted by Xephyr]

13. Epica – “Storm The Sorrow” (from “Requiem For The Indifferent”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

14. Dio – “Wild One” (from “Lock Up The Wolves”, 1990)

15. Angra – “Nothing To Say” (from “Holy Land”, 1996) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

16. Edenbridge – “Evermore” (from “The Grand Design”, 2006) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

17. Viper – “A Cry From The Edge” (from “Theatre Of Fate”, 1989) [Submitted by Vinny]

18. Riot – “Thundersteel” (from “Thundersteel”, 1988) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

19. MaYaN – “Bite The Bullet” (from “Quarterpast”, 2011) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

20. Warrior Path – “The Mad King” (from “The Mad King”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

21. Labÿrinth – “The Absurd Circus” (from “Welcome To The Absurd Circus”, 2021)

22. Nevermore – “What Tomorrow Knows” (from “Nevermore”, 1995) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

23. Lovebites – “Glory To The World” (from “Glory,Glory, To The World” E.P., 2021)

June 01, 2021 09:05 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Epica – “Storm The Sorrow” (from “Requiem For The Indifferent”, 2012)

5/5. A cool amazing song good for live shows! Epica really conjured a symphonic metal storm...

Dio – “Wild One” (from “Lock Up The Wolves”, 1990)

4.5/5. A great song to remain immortal in the future for many generations to come far head! I still don't feel up to the more mainstream classic heavy metal bands, but it's still a cool top notch old classic. RIP DIO

Angra – “Nothing To Say” (from “Holy Land”, 1996)

5/5. Very beautiful song, especially the beginning with the Brazilian drumming. Even though the true centerpiece of the Holy Land album is the "Carolina IV" epic, the song I've shared here is still an absolutely perfect introductory song for people getting into Angra for the first time. Part of one of my former favorite power metal albums! I especially enjoy the vocals by the unforgotten Andre Matos. RIP

Edenbridge – “Evermore” (from “The Grand Design”, 2006)

4.5/5. Another beautiful song from an awesome album, this from prog-ish symphonic metallers Edenbridge with lyrics about eternal love. Such a cool song to love from this magnificent group that is Edenbridge!

Viper – “A Cry From The Edge” (from “Theatre Of Fate”, 1989)

5/5. A song from another band with Andre Matos, back when he was only 17. His metal legacy shall be honored. Once again, rest in peace, metal maestro warrior... Anyway, this is probably one of the best songs I've heard from a Brazilian metal band. I mean, besides that Angra track, but it once again stirs up memories from when I listened to Andre's era in Angra. Good times...

Riot – “Thundersteel” (from “Thundersteel”, 1988)

5/5. This metal battle from one of the metal gods rolls on with this h*lla fast track, which places the band as a friendly rival to Judas Priest. Probably one of my favorite classic heavy metal songs, and the reason I have part of its album artwork as my current profile pic.

MaYaN – “Bite The Bullet” (from “Quarterpast”, 2011)

4/5. Great song, but probably the last one I'll ever hear from this band as I continue my death metal departure. I love the vocals by Marcela Bovio.

Nevermore – “What Tomorrow Knows” (from “Nevermore”, 1995)

4.5/5. This is a top-notch groove-powered heavy metal track with a monstrous, heavy riff leading into great vocals. It just keeps going on in a good way until the end. Warrel Dane was another awesome vocalist who sadly recently passed away by heart attack. RIP

Lovebites – “Glory To The World” (from “Glory,Glory, To The World” E.P., 2021)

5/5. Epic Japanese anime female power metal! You just have to listen this amazing glory, trust me.

June 04, 2021 11:27 PM

Just finished listening to this playlist. Was a great reminder of just how much I love those W.A.S.P. & Diamond Head tracks which are some of my favourites from those respective bands & undisputed heavy metal classics for me overall. I quite like the Riot track but my God they don't even try to hide the fact that they're trying to rewrite Judas Priest's "Exciter" there, did they? (Check it out Andi.) I haven't listened to that Nevermore album in years & years but really enjoyed that song so I might have to return to it some time soon. I have a soft spot for the Yngwie Malmsteen & Dokken tracks from my childhood & Vinny has really dug deep with a couple of his inclusions which added some intrigue. Overall it was an interesting listen from a clan that I generally regard as being the lest attractive for me personally.

June 05, 2021 12:19 AM
I just checked out Judas Priest's "Exciter", and indeed it sounds like Riot took a lot of inspiration from that song for their own "Thundersteel". In fact, "Exciter" is known as the first ever speed metal song and would inspire the name of the first ever true speed metal band Exciter. Even though the song "Exciter" is good but not exciting enough for me (3.5/5, probably because of how old it is), it made me curious about the band Exciter, so I might check that band out sometime...