March 2021 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post February 28, 2021 10:27 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5OqLJR0HTlARSBBnTUJeAg?si=zH22H8rNSLKgaJUAbV8uLg

Tracklisting:

01. Grand Magus – “The Shadow Knows” (from “Iron Will”, 2008)

02. Blind Guardian – “Sacred Worlds” (from “At The Edge Of Time”, 2010) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

03. Unlucky Morpheus – “籠の鳥” (from “Unfinished”, 2020)

04. Sarcofagus – “Envoy Of Death” (from “Envoy Of Death”, 1980)

05. Idle Hands – “Puppy Love” (from “Don’t Waste Your Time II” E.P., 2020)

06. Riot – “Bloodstreets” (from “ThunderSteel”, 1988)

07. Iron Maiden – “No Prayer For The Dying” (from “No Prayer For The Dying”, 1990)

08. Judas Priest – “Hell Bent For Leather” (from “Killing Machine”, 1978)

09. Black Sabbath – “Snowblind” (from “Vol. 4”, 1972)

10. Therion – “Tuonela” (from “Leviathan”, 2021)

11. Nightwish – “Sahara” (from “Dark Passion Play”, 2007) [Submitted by Xephyr]

12. Russel Allen & Jorn Lande – “The Artist” (from “The Showdown”, 2010) [Submitted by Xephyr]

13. Armored Saint – “Reign Of Fire” (from “Symbol Of Salvation”, 1991)

14. Accept – “Stampede” (from “Blind Rage”, 2014) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

15. Galneryus – “End Of The Line” (from “Into The Purgatory”, 2019) [Submitted by Xephyr]

16. Majestica – “Ghost Of Christmas Past” (from “A Christmas Carol”, 2020)

17. Angra – “Evil Warning” (from “Angels Cry”, 1993) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

18. Visigoth – “Blades In The Night” (from “Conqueror’s Oath”, 2018) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

19. Machinae Supremacy – “All Of My Angels” (from “Rise Of A Digital Nation”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

20. Metal Church – “The Dark” (from “The Dark”, 1986) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

21. Dragony – “Gods Of War” (from “Viribus Unitis”, 2021)

22. Megaton Sword – “Songs Of Victory” (from “Blood Hails Steel – Steel Hails Fire”, 2020)

23. Machina – “The Worst In Us” (from “Siege”, 2021)

March 01, 2021 01:24 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Grand Magus – “The Shadow Knows” (from “Iron Will”, 2008)

5/5. An awesome bad-a** song to start this playlist. Thanks for sharing, Daniel! This song has reminded listeners of comic book characters The Shadow and Razorfist, along with Werewolf the Apocalypse. For the music, think of it like a darker Judas Priest/Iron Maiden. The beginning riff sounds similar to the Power Rangers theme. Amazing song. No more words to describe this glory.

Blind Guardian – “Sacred Worlds” (from “At The Edge Of Time”, 2010)

5.5/5 (not exaggerating). This epic song was originally recorded for the video game Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. It feels weird listening to a song I used to think was the ultimate metal song, and still have that feeling despite moving away from listening to this band and my earlier power metal taste. Either way, this is an awesome song that sounds like it could be part of the soundtrack for Harry Potter or Doctor Strange. Epic symphonic power metal to the max!

Riot – “Bloodstreets” (from “ThunderSteel”, 1988)

4.5/5. This heavy power ballad would inspire some of Manowar's ballads and shows that there's a soft heart within the warrior's steel body. Still looking forward to listening to more of this band and expanding my metal time range to the late 70s.

Nightwish – “Sahara” (from “Dark Passion Play”, 2007)

5/5. The album this song is in is from the controversial Anette Olzon era...and I f***ing love this one! One of my favorite songs of the album along with "Whoever Brings The Night" and "Bye Bye Beautiful". Lyrics that remind some of Game of Thrones such as "May he now rest under Aegis of Mirage as sands slowly turn to Elysian Fields" prove that keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen is a lyrical genius. The pace also reminds of "Rise of Evil" by Sabaton. A perfect song as beautiful as the Tarja era!

Accept – “Stampede” (from “Blind Rage”, 2014)

5/5. Another attempt at checking out Riot-like classic heavy metal, this is an incredible song to love! The intense metal riffs are as intense as the bull in the album cover. Accept rules, and I ACCEPT this band!

Angra – “Evil Warning” (from “Angels Cry”, 1993)

5/5. I'm glad that I brought myself back to listening to a bit of this great band, but I'm sad that former vocals Andre Matos is gone. One of the most tragic things to happen since my departure from my epic metal taste, another one being Nightwish bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala's recent semi-retirement. At slightly over the 4-minute mark is an epic rendition of Vivaldi's "Winter". That and the Rhapsody-like intro guitar duel have conjured countless adventurous memories that have almost faded out since when I left my epic metal taste over 3 years ago, which I kinda regret after finding out about those aforesaid tragedies. I still miss the singer of this perfect glory... RIP

Visigoth – “Blades In The Night” (from “Conqueror’s Oath”, 2018)

4/5. A great attempt for epic heavy/power metal, but just doesn't reach perfect appeal. Next!

Machinae Supremacy – “All Of My Angels” (from “Rise Of A Digital Nation”, 2012)

4.5/5. Oh, the great memories of listening to this band and their 8-bit power metal! I almost cried from this power and emotion that I missed for so long. It's a shame that I moved past my earlier power metal taste, but I guess if I want 8-bit metal, I have HORSE the Band...

March 02, 2021 02:26 PM

Good month on the playlists so far with me finding more new bands to pick up on this Guardians list than any of the others I have gone through.  That Blind Guardian track is my favourite one of theirs so glad to see it up there.  My first time ever listening to Therion and I am suitably intrigued to discover more as I get chance.  Nice to see the Maidens and Priests of this world get on the list also.