February 2021 “The Guardians” Playlist – Metal Academy Radio

First Post January 31, 2021 07:33 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/17QTg5cyVCddoOvoC5pxfh?si=TvvLlc6gS7SOVF-cdn4V2w

Tracklisting:

01. Black Sabbath – “Black Sabbath” (from “Black Sabbath”, 1970)

02. Domine – “The Hurricane Master” (from “Stormbringer Ruler: The Legend of the Power Supreme”, 2001)

03. Seven Spires – “Succumb” (from “Emerald Seas”, 2020)

04. Haggard – “Herr Mannelig” (from “Eppur si muove”, 2004)

05. Slough Feg – “Tiger! Tiger!” (from “Hardworlder”, 2007)

06. Heir Apparent – “Another Candle” (from “Graceful Inheritance”, 1986)

07. Lethal – “Programmed” (from “Programmed”, 1990)

08. Armored Saint – “Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants” (from “Punching The Sky”, 2020)

09. Mercyful Fate – “The Bell Witch” (from “The Bell Witch” E.P., 1994)

10. Iron Maiden – “The Number Of The Beast” (from “The Number Of The Beast”, 1982)

11. Tony MacAlpine – “Chromaticity” (from “Chromaticity”, 2001)

12. Heavens Gate – “In Control” (from “In Control”, 1989)

13. Pretty Maids – “Future World” (from “Future World”, 1987)

14. Glacier – “Eldest & Truest” (from “The Passing Of Time”, 2020)

15. Atlantean Kodex – “Sol Invictus (With Faith & Fire)” (from “The White Goddess (A Grammar Of Poetic Myth)”, 2013)

16. Spirit Adrift – “Harmony Of The Spheres” (from “Enlightened In Eternity”, 2020)

17. Therion – “Wine Of Aluqah” (from “Vovin”, 1998)

18. Judicator – “Gloria” (from “Let There Be Nothing”, 2020)

19. Avantasia – “Another Angel Down” (from “The Scarecrow”, 2008) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

20. Primal Fear – “Halo” (from “Metal Commando”, 2020)

21. Blind Guardian – “Lost In The Twilight Hall” (from “Tales From The Twilight World”, 1990) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

22. Unleash The Archers – “Faster Than Light” (from “Abyss”, 2020)

23. Lord – “United (Welcome Back)” (from “Fallen Idols”, 2019) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

February 01, 2021 12:33 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Avantasia – “Another Angel Down” (from “The Scarecrow”, 2008)

5/5. Avantasia is known for their conceptual metal operas, and I'm guessing this song is about a part of The Scarecrow story with Lucifer speaking to his army of demons to fight against humans and God. It's quite a picture to paint in this very awesome song I enjoy, especially the catchy chorus. Tobias Sammet is as talented as famous classical composers such as Beethoven and Vivaldi. I hear some influences from Iron Maiden, Iron Savior, and other "Iron" bands. Very great song!

Primal Fear – “Halo” (from “Metal Commando”, 2020)

5/5. Holy sh*t, what a masterpiece!! Ralf Scheepers still has his vocal power from the Gamma Ray albums he was in, maybe also influenced by Gamma Ray's Land of the Free. I gotta make my slight return to my earlier power metal taste to star listening to this band that I never did back then!

Blind Guardian – “Lost In The Twilight Hall” (from “Tales From The Twilight World”, 1990)

4.5/5. This song continues Blind Guardian's epic mastery. While Hansi Kursch is an amazing vocalist, the guest vocals by Kai Hansen really rule in the parts of the song where he sings. That's cool foreshadowing the later Gamma Ray albums with Kai Hansen as the lead vocalist.

Unleash The Archers – “Faster Than Light” (from “Abyss”, 2020)

5/5. Hello again, Unleash the Archers! You really unleashed another f***ing killer masterpiece!! This song can really goes faster than light with the fast pace of Stratovarius over Battle Beast-like vocals of a female warrior. FANTASTIC!!!

Lord – “United (Welcome Back)” (from “Fallen Idols”, 2019)

4.5/5. The moment I started listening to this song, it's like I am being welcomed back into my earlier power metal taste. The first thing I thought was: Australian DragonForce! And it seems like a reasonable thought to have, because of the fast speedy tempo, killer guitar shredding, and fantasy lyrics. Lord still has their original power metal sound, and I'm glad that band marks my return to a genre I left long ago but was convinced to return. Good to be back!!