Washington DC authorities looking to charge Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer

First Post January 07, 2021 07:33 PM

So Iced Earth main man Jon Schaffer was photographed playing a major role in yesterday's riot at the US capital. How does this change your opinions on the man & his band?

January 08, 2021 12:10 AM
When the topic of historical battles comes to the minds of bands like Iced Earth and Sabaton (the latter whom Jon Schaffer did spoken narration in one of their songs), they often put their inspiration into their songs and albums, and it is very unlikely for one of the band's members to take their anger out personally in a battle-like situation like that riot. I think when it comes to bands whom one of the members gets involved in a controversial/illegal ordeal, if you're still listening to that band for a long time when an incident like that happens, you probably wouldn't give up a band you loved for so long and wouldn't let something like that harm your enjoyment. I've only listened to a couple albums from Iced Earth, but having a bit of knowledge of that band for a few years, I probably would do the same advice I've given to those long-time listeners. Future listeners might have some doubt about this band for sure. And I definitely wouldn't listen to a band whom one of the members has done something sinfully illegal in the past like a brutal murder, which is why I don't care for black metal bands like Burzum, Dissection, and Emperor. Anyway, that's just my opinion based on the incident. I'm sure many of you would have your own opinions that are in some ways different...
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
January 08, 2021 12:56 AM

This sort of thing has been a topic of discussion for a long time in metal, particularly when it comes to Burzum. Should we support a band or individual that have dangerous views or commit reprehensible acts. In the end I don't think it actually achieves much to choose not to listen to music because you don't agree with the views of its creator. I guess you could argue that by monetarily rewarding the artist, you're enabling them to reach a wider audience or funding their unhealthy lifestyle, but I choose to enjoy their work while taking every opportunity to state that I don't agree with their views / actions. If you read my Burzum reviews (amongst other bands), you'll note that I often acknowledge musical genius where it's due while also making it clear that Varg as an individual is not worthy of praise. I imagine a significant percentage of metal bands would be blacklisted if we collected their world views prior to listening.

January 08, 2021 06:23 AM

I would say that if you are surprised that a metal musician holds right-wing views or isn't a beacon of righteousness, then you are extremely naive. This is a bit of a thorny topic however and I can see why some have problems with it. The Arts are littered with reprehensible individuals, so where do you draw the line? I have never been a fan of celebrity culture anyway and am not particularly interested in the lives of musicians or actors so pay little attention to their (usually self-important) views.

Similarly to Ben, if I love the music, then I will still listen to it whilst acknowledging that the person or persons involved in it may be of dubious character. I am no big fan of cancel culture and have no desire to become involved in that whole self-righteous wave sweeping our world. 

"Let he who is without sin..." and all that!

April 24, 2021 03:12 AM

So apparently he's pleaded guilty & is facing up to 30 years in prison so it'll be interesting to see what the outcome is now.

April 24, 2021 07:39 AM
I just realized that this isn't the only time I found out a band that I've heard of is splitting up (or on the verse of splitting up) due to crimes committed by one of the band's founding members. In my younger times when I was following my brother's alt-rock/metal footsteps in music before switching to "real" metal, one of those bands was Lostprophets. I listened to a few songs; one that my brother likes, one in which I've seen its music video on TV, and one more on my own. I thought that band was OK. However, just a few months after I first listened to that band, their lead singer Ian Watkins was arrested for various sexual offenses against children and even an animal! F***ing sick (as in disgusting), right?!? A year later, that band split up, and Watkins was sentenced to nearly 3 decades in prison. Anyway, it is likely for Jon Schaffer to serve his sentence and for Iced Earth to disband, and I do find it sad that bands end up splitting up due to a founding member's crimes. So while you can totally listen to bands and even form your own, please don't do anything bad that a member of your favorite band has done, OR YOU COULD GO TO PRISON.
April 24, 2021 06:26 PM

Jon Schaffer's biggest crime was being taken in by the rantings of a malignant narcissist and his right-wing idealogue enablers in the media. He probably believed what he was doing was patriotic (the US constitution allows for the overthrow of a corrupt government by the people) as he and the rest of the people who stormed the Capitol building that day had been horribly exploited by cowardly pundits and manipulators. This isn't even close to the same as the heinous acts of Ian Watkins. There's also no chance Schaffer will get 30 years.

April 24, 2021 10:03 PM
Good point, Sonny! Even I think 30 years is far too much. The most suitable jail time for Jon Schaffer has been discussed to be "between 3.5 and 4.5 years in prison, depending on Schaffer's continued cooperation in prosecuting other rioters." So there might be a good chance for Schaffer to be able to continue Iced Earth after his release between 3.5 and 4.5 years from now, but not a lot of fans or media outlets would trust a band whom one of the members was in prison. Remember what happened with Tim Lambesis and his band As I Lay Dying?
April 25, 2021 09:11 AM

I hope he goes down for a long time.  Anyone who thinks the best route to address perceived ills in society is to join an angry mob and storm a government building is clearly a vulnerable person open to suggestion and influence of others with more gumption than them.  I don't really care for much he has done musically and if I did like anything that wouldn't change my appreciation of his music in that circumstance - detachment of the art from the individual is key in metal I find.  I mean there are limits of course (no Gary Glitter albums getting played anytime soon - if I owned any) but this notion that because people are in a band or media spotlight to whatever extent and so they must be wholesome individuals is nonsense.  Listen to what you like, enjoy the output and stay away from the details of everyone's life.

April 25, 2021 01:06 PM

Here, here Vinny, "detachment of the art from the individual is key in metal I find" is dead right. Metal artists have no end of unpalatable beliefs and have done no end of unpalatable acts, so if you can't separate art from artist then metal is probably not for you. The obsession with so-called celebrity lives (including metal musicians) and subsequent cancel culture is bordering on some kind of mass mania. Personally I couldn't give a damn what these people do or believe, as you say, within limits (no Lostprophets played here either) but why should we care what goes on in these people's lives just because they have some kind of minor celebrity? Let's focus on the music and ignore the bullshit.

By the way, I wasn't defending Schaffer in any way, but I feel he and his cohorts have been horribly manipulated by those with vested interests. The real culprits for the situation at the Capitol building will never find themselves anywhere near a courtroom and will continue to sow hatred and division unchecked. Just saying, as a bemused onlooker from the UK.