January 2021 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post December 31, 2020 09:31 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/28Xt7RXdopwWpcgFOvTHwI?si=U2cwh66sQYylt4awpwFa3w

Tracklisting:

01. Motorhead – “Burner” (from “Bastards”, 1993)

02. Scanner – “Buy Or Die” (from “Terminal Earth”, 1989)

03. Nightwish – “Noise” (from “Hvman. :||: Natvre.”, 2020)

04. Jason Becker – “End Of the Beginning” (from “Perspective”, 1996)

05. Legend – “The Destroyer” (from “Fröm the Fjörds”, 1979)

06. Black Sabbath – “War Pigs” (from “Paranoid”, 1970)

07. Saxon – “Stallions Of The Highway” (from “Saxon”, 1979)

08. Tank – “Shellshock” (from “Filth Hounds Of Hades”, 1982)

09. Queensrÿche – “Take Hold Of The Flame” (from “The Warning”, 1984)

10. Q5 – “Steel The Light” (from Steel The Light”, 1985)

11. King Diamond – “The Puppet Master” (from “The Puppet Master”, 2003)

12. H-Bomb – “H-Bomb” (from “Coup de metal” E.P., 1983)

13. Kamelot – “III Ways To Epica” (from “Epica”, 2003) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

14. Therion – “Ginnungagap” (from “Secret Of The Runes”, 2001)

15. Accept – “Teutonic Terror” (from “Blood Of The Nations”, 2010)

16. Traveler – “Termination Shock” (from “Termination Shock”, 2020)

17. The Lightbringer Of Sweden – “Skeletor” (from “Rise Of The Beast”, 2020) [Submitted by Xephyr]

18. Chapel Of Disease – “Void Of Words” (from “...And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye”, 2018)

19. Ironsword – “Servants Of Steel” (from “Servants Of Steel”, 2020)

20. Dragonland – “Holy War” (from “Holy War”, 2002) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

21. Luca Turilli – “Demonheart” (from “Demonheart” E.P., 2002)

22. Falconer – “Rapture” (from “From A Dying Ember”, 2020) [Submitted by Xephyr]

23. Dynazty – “The Shoulder Devil” (from “The Dark Delight”, 2020)

January 01, 2021 12:22 PM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Nightwish – “Noise” (from “Hvman. :||: Natvre.”, 2020)

10/10. One of the heavier metal songs in an otherwise highly symphonic album. This one represents a bit of the Tarja-era Nightwish sound at its best. Make some noise for the true Nightwish!

Kamelot – “III Ways To Epica” (from “Epica”, 2003)

10/10. This song marks the epic emotional end of the first album of one of the best two-part sagas of metal. 7 years ago, after being introduced to the world of metal via power metal bands such as DragonForce, Dragonland, and Power Quest, I felt the need to expand it with more than just speed. That was when this band Kamelot came in with epic songs like this one, opening a symphonic dimension for my power metal, leading to more terrific bands of that style like Within Temptation, Epica, After Forever, and of course, Nightwish. Symphonic power metal had been such a beautiful inspiration genre. I loved it, loved this band, and still love this song!

Dragonland – “Holy War” (from “Holy War”, 2002)

11/10 (not exaggerating). The most bad-a** power metal song I've listened to over 7 years ago besides DragonForce! This band and song has pretty much kickstarted my path to become a power metal. I think I played this song while playing Skyrim during a few of the in-game battles. The epic organ intro might remind some of Castlevania. Some parts have reminded me how much I used to love power metal, including when the soloing starts at the two and a half minute mark. I especially love the voice of singer Jonas Heidgert. This band would lead to more awesome bands like Avantasia, Dragonland, and Stratovarius. The whole reason this was my first song from this band, at the time probably when I was in late middle school (age, not actually in school), was because the band was mislabeled as DragonForce (the band that got me into power metal), a hilarious misunderstand led to a glorious discovery! Seriously, this is real music, not that mundane radio pop sh*t. It wasn't until late high school-ish years when I forgot about this song when I started making my move out of the earlier epic metal taste, but now a bit of my power metal past is back! I heard that this song was used in the Counter-Strike frag video Pubmasters 2. Also, a more recent DragonForce song "Symphony of the Night" kinda reminded me of this one, which is why I love them both. Those two Dragon-bands have changed my life and swept away my earlier days of listening to nothing but Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed when following my brother's music footsteps. Not only do I love Jonas' voice, but I also enjoy his catchy drums performed in the first two albums. The keyboard/guitar soloing are some of the best I've heard! Some people think power metal is cheesy, but I found that genre brilliant. Dragonland has made some of the most awesome power metal songs including their own Helloween song cover. This band does very d*mn epic power metal with great soloing of creative dimensions! It has been years since my last full listen of this song, and it still sounds epic as f***, and I felt proud of the power metal journey I had. All hail Dragonland!! Along with DragonForce! This song does sound a bit like DragonForce and Stratovarius, along with other progressive power metal bands all around. I think it was my recent interest in Sanctuary that brought back some power metal memories. The Dragonland concept is a bit similar to Game of Thrones, and should be part of its soundtrack. Maybe the Dragonland Chronicles should have its own movie series! Both Dragon-bands have their own unique sound while staying in the same genre. Dragonland has probably also been known for covering a Mozart piece. I'm still enjoying the pure melodic power metal epicness! I also enjoy the speed, and other bands that followed. Now I'm over 21 and have already moved on from my gateway metal genre for a more mature and heavier taste instead of just Bach-inspired metal epic cheesiness. Still can't believe I got attracted to this band for the most unlikely reason, because some jacka** confused the band with DragonForce, but worth it! And that was long before the screaming heavier metal that I like now. I shall ignore any complainers and enjoy the music! Thank you, Daniel, for including this small historical monument of a track....