January 2021 Feature Release - The Guardians Edition

First Post December 31, 2020 08:26 PM

So we've now managed to rid ourselves of the pathetic excuse for a year that was 2020 which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We're really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don't be shy.

This month's feature release for The Guardians is the brand new sophomore album from Texan heavy metallers Eternal Champion (entitled "Ravening Iron"). The band made a significant impact on the US power metal market with their very solid 2016 debut full-length "The Armor of Ire" so the pressure was on to deliver another record of significance with its follow-up. We'll be interested to see how you think "Ravening Iron" compares with its older sibling & also whether you think it's deserved of the generally positive response its received from fans of your more traditional brand of heavy metal.

https://metal.academy/releases/24230

January 08, 2021 05:51 PM

Review is up for me:

Eternal Champion - Ravening Iron Review

I originally had this rated at a solid 4/5, with it jumping high up into my year-end list when I listened to it in the beginning of December. US Power Metal normally isn't my thing but I was really impressed by these guys. 

While I was writing this review I went back to their debut and listened to Ravening Iron a ton more. By the end of writing I had to bump it up to a 4.5/5, since I just wasn't getting tired of having it on repeat. The riffs are fantastic and the vocals and overall production are unique enough to have this be one of my favorite Power Metal albums I've heard in a while. It's short, sweet, straight to the point, and uses the general US Power Metal ideas in a way that resonates with me way more than any other band I've heard. 

4.5/5

January 10, 2021 08:22 PM

This one unsurprisingly took me a little outside my comfort zone but not in a bad way. I guess I enjoy the concept of epic metal more than I do the actual result in most cases but this release won me over after a few listens. It fits very comfortably under the US power metal banner in my opinion as the epic atmospheres & strong melodic component are built around a base of traditional heavy metal which is a little different to the more speed metal oriented European power metal sound. The fantasy-themed vocals remind me very heavily of Manilla Road's Mark Shelton & I'd be surprised if this wasn't intentional as the Road seem to be the major influence here. Both sides open with the tracks that offer me the most appeal & I was impressed with the chunky, well-composed heavy metal riffage & exciting & expansive lead solos which are easily proficient enough to keep this old shredder on his toes. There are also some doomy sections thrown in here & there which are pretty cool, particularly on closing track "Banners Of Arhai". Unfortunately the more melodic & overtly power metal oriented material doesn't do a lot for me (see "War At The Edge Of The World" & particularly the title track which has a very cheesy chorus) but "Ravening Iron" definitely offers enough to keep my interest without ever really threatening to command regular revisits.

For fans of Manilla Road, Brocas Helm & Omen.

3.5/5

January 10, 2021 09:33 PM

Got to admit that this is one of the least bad power metal albums I've heard. There's enough traditional heavy metal here to attract my ears, although I must confess that at times I did find my attention wandering. I won't be returning to it any time soon, but, unusually for power metal, I did get through the whole album in one go. 3/5

January 10, 2021 10:58 PM

I'll take it Sonny, I remember a long time ago you had the same reaction to Elvenking's 2019 album so I'm glad I'm 2 for 2 on Power Metal rec's so far. Eternal Champion is nothing fancy, but it has some nuanced differences to how they approach the Power Metal formula that really grew on me after 10+ listens. Definitely a grower for me, but maybe a BIT overrated, especially since 2020 was completely devoid of any truly great Power Metal releases apart from Falconer's swan song album. So towards the end of 2020 when this album dropped I was really looking for something to satiate my Guardians itch. 

January 24, 2021 11:20 AM

I did my review, here's its summary:

I was once a champion of power metal, but that never went on eternally. Would I return with a potential classic of epic metal (US power/heavy metal)? Would this album live to my epic metal expectations, despite the nudity in the artwork (two barbarian babes near a throne of skulls each wearing nothing but a metal loincloth)? Well, this album is slightly better than probably the only other 2020 Guardians album I've listened to, Nightwish's Human Nature, in every aspect, including the sound, riffs, vocals, and confidence. Sadly, no symphonic orchestra, but thankfully, no orchestra-only tracks! Vocalist Jason Tarpey really lets loose a lot of vocal diversity, which is a boost of benefit for the band and other Guardians bands. His lyrics and concept could build worlds at strong points, such as bad-a** verses in a few songs. Those songs bring forward great influences from bands like Manilla Road and Sanctuary, all in passion and love to continue US power metal reign all over Earth. In a year lacking good power metal in the time of a dreaded virus, Eternal Champion has made an album that might surely hit many "best of metal" lists and most likely be the best US power metal album of 2020. But I don't quite feel up listening to more of that band because I've been trying to move out of power metal for a long time. Or am I? We'll see after I cross the Edenbridge (hint at a later review)....

4.5/5