December 2020 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post November 30, 2020 08:19 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6DwJB4LeaneNJAnTIh65My?si=-cKtMslrSDiPFY8nVppzow

Tracklisting:

01. Dee Snider – “Tomorrow’s no Concern” (from “For The Love Of Metal”, 2018) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

02. Edguy – “Mysteria” (from “Hellfire Club”, 2004) [Submitted by Xephyr]

03. Therion – “The Blood Of Kingu” (from “Sirius B”, 2004)

04. Rage – “From The Cradle To The Grave” (from “XIII”, 1998)

05. Mercyful Fate – “A Corpse Without Soul” (from “Mercyful Fate” E.P., 1982)

06. Ambush – “Hellbiter” (from “Infidel”, 2020)

07. Savatage – “Edge Of Thorns” (from “Edge Of Thorns”, 1993)

08. Pagan Altar – “The Cry Of The Banshee” (from “Mythical & Magical”, 2006)

09. Motorhead – “Bomber” (from “Bomber”, 1979)

10. Traveler – “Starbreaker” (from “Traveler”, 2019) [Submitted by Xephyr]

11. Hammerfall – “Blood Bound” (from “Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken”, 2005) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

12. Virgin Steele – “Crown Of Glory (Unscarred)” (from “The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell Part II”, 1995)

13. Marty Friedman – “Forbidden City” (from “Dragon’s Kiss”, 1988)

14. King Diamond – “Sleepless Nights” (from “Conspiracy”, 1989)

15. Elvenking – “Reader Of The Runes – Book I” (from “Reader Of The Runes - Divination”, 2019) [Submitted by Xephyr]

16. Raven – “Hung, Drawn & Quartered” (from “All For One”, 1983) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

17. Demons & Wizards – “Diabolic” (from “III”, 2020)

18. Sorcerer – “The Hammer Of Witches” (from “Lamenting Of The Innocent”, 2020)

19. Seven Spires – “The Trouble With Eternal Life” (from “Emerald Seas”, 2020)

20. Labÿrinth – “Moonlight” (from “Return To Heaven Denied”, 1998)

21. Lord – “Chaos Raining” (from “Fallen Idols”, 2019) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

December 01, 2020 01:36 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Dee Snider – “Tomorrow’s no Concern” (from “For The Love Of Metal”, 2018)

8/10. Look, it's cool that this playlist has started with classic heavy metal performed by a metal veteran, but that's not really my thing. Though this is actually d*mn better than the Twisted Sister classics I've stumbled upon, and it sounds like Dee still has what it takes. H*ll yeah!!

Edguy – “Mysteria” (from “Hellfire Club”, 2004)

9/10. Here's a tight heavy song that would make a slightly better playlist starter than that Dee Snider track. Vocalist Tobias Sammet yells like a circus ringmaster, "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the freak show!!" Then the power metal action begins, having some influences from thrash/speed metal. In fact there's even an alternate version with Mille Petrozza of Euro-thrash legends Kreator on guest vocals as a bonus track in the limited edition.

Hammerfall – “Blood Bound” (from “Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken”, 2005)

9/10. I've listened to this song for the first time in a few years after listening to the live version as part of their new live album Live! Against the World. This killer song is from an album that helped bridge the earlier and middle era, and it has a big chorus you just gotta sing along to.

Elvenking – “Reader Of The Runes – Book I” (from “Reader Of The Runes - Divination”, 2019)

10/10. From the runes of Spotify comes a song available for this playlist. This is a fantastic great monolithic end to the band's folk-power metal return album trilogy that started in Pagan Manifesto, but it might hint at a different saga starting with a possible "Reader Of The Runes – Book II". I was an Elvenking fan a few years ago in my earlier epic metal taste, and now I wish I could have the chance to return to the band for the album that has this song that's probably their best since Heathenreel, especially since it has a killer black-ish soloing section in the middle. I'm grateful for this exhausting yet powerful masterpiece of f***ing impressive epic metal sorcery, greater than the epics made by Helloween. I love it! I might review this album soon. Thanks Xephyr for submitting it and Daniel for accepting it!

Lord – “Chaos Raining” (from “Fallen Idols”, 2019)

9/10. This is from an album that I was asked to do a special review for, but didn't get fully interested in the band until I switched from The Horde to The Guardians. The song shows Lord getting a little more chaotic while staying in a mid-tempo pace, getting up to the level of Trivium's Silence in the Snow.