November 2020 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post October 31, 2020 10:03 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4g4dVmLZIAy1HRmLSsfSrK?si=RSGpsapoTsCkxwAn6S3N-A

Tracklisting:

01. Trouble – “R.I.P.” (from “Trouble”, 1990)

02. Lost Horizon – “Heart Of Storm” (from “Awakening The World”, 2001) 

03. Apocalyptica – “Cell-0” (from “Cell-0”, 2020) 

04. Cirith Ungol – “Edge Of A Knife” (from “Frost & Fire”, 1981) [Submitted by MacabreEternal] 

05. Saxon – “Denim & Leather” (from “Denim & Leather”, 1981) 

06. Rainbow – “Gates Of Babylon” (from “Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll”, 1978) 

07. Lacrimosa – “Alleine Zu Zweit” (from “Elodia”, 1999) 

08. Viper – “Moonlight” (from “Theatre Of Fate”, 1989) 

09. Avantasia – “Runaway Train” (from “The Wicked Symphony”, 2010) [Submitted by Xephyr] 

10. Savatage – “Hall Of The Mountain King” (from “Hall of The Mountain King”, 1987) [Submitted by MacabreEternal] 

11. Edenbridge – “Shine” (from “Shine”, 2004) [Submitted by shadowdoom9] 

12. Virgin Steele – “Veni, Vidi, Vici” (from “Invictus”, 1998) 

13. Running Wild – “Renegade” (from “Death Or Glory”, 1989) [Submitted by Xephyr] 

14. Dark Forest – “Avalon Rising” (from “Oak, Ash & Thorn”, 2020)

15. Therion – “Three Ships Of Berik (Part 1: Calling To Arms & Fighting The Battle)” (from “Lemuria”, 2004)

16. Dream Evil – “Dream Evil” (from “Six”, 2017) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

17. Space Odyssey – “Embrace The Galaxy” (from “Embrace The Galaxy”, 2003) 

18. Machinae Supremacy – “Laser Speed Force” (from “Rise Of A Digital Nation”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9] 

19. Gloryhammer – “Beneath Cowdenbeath” (from “Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife”, 2013) [Submitted by Xephyr] 

20. Mystik – “Ancient Majesty” (from “Mystik”, 2019) [Submitted by MacabreEternal] 

21. Scanner – “Warp 7” (from “Hypertrace”, 1988)

November 01, 2020 06:20 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Avantasia – “Runaway Train” (from “The Wicked Symphony”, 2010)

10/10. Beautiful song from symphonic power metal-opera project Avantasia! This makes a great soundtrack for when I move out alone probably a few years from now and I have to decide which train that I can't control takes me to the airport and hope for the best to start a new life, whether it's a great long healthy life or one that is cut short if the path leads to being trapped in a drug alley. Man, I almost cried thinking of this whole scenario. It's so emotional and epic, a bit like one of the earlier Sonata Arctica ballads. A beautiful song as a farewell while you start a journey for a new life, hopefully not a drug-laden one.

Savatage – “Hall Of The Mountain King” (from “Hall of The Mountain King”, 1987)

9/10. This is an underrated 80s heavy metal classic. It works awesomely for an epic D&D session. Unbelievable! If you thought this track resembles Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King", nope! That's its intro "Prelude to Madness". The band's guitar king Criss Oliva does a great job there. RIP Criss. F*** that drunk driver! Great lyrics, good music, still a little too old for my taste range, unless my taste changes in the future...

Edenbridge – “Shine” (from “Shine”, 2004)

10/10. Edenbridge has served as another milestone in the bridge of symphonic fantasy after Nightwish, after Epica, after Two Steps From Hell (the latter being an epic trailer music company I used to listen to before my metal interest blasted off). This is one of my favorite Edenbridge songs with the enchanting voice of Sabine Edelsbacher in a shining direction especially in the epic crescendo chorus. I guess you can think of Edenbridge as Epica without the growling vocals. Wonderful song with a beautiful unique voice, and I still have that opinion since I first got hooked to listening to this band when I was around age 16 or 17. I think this song is about the circle of life throughout the universe and God's creations. Shine is one of my favorite Edenbridge albums and this song is an awesome progressive highlight with the best guitar talent from Lanvall and Sabine's expanding vocal range and passion. Around that time, Sabine guest-appeared in a couple songs on Angra's Temple of Shadows and Power Quest's Neverworld, two more excellent power metal albums! When I first listened to this song, album, and band, I've realized how well this band can make awesome masterpieces. One of the best bands in my earlier epic metal taste besides Symphony X, Avantasia, and of course, Nightwish and Epica! Her beautiful voice brightens up this marvelous composition. The lyrics are weird, but a good pretty type of weird. Pop artists like Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber already had their fame, Edenbridge should have their turn! I say this band has an excellent combo of Sonata Arctica power metal, Within Temptation orchestration, and Lacuna Coil female vocals. Of course, my epic metal taste wasn't all just symphonic metal back then, there's of course the power metal of Sabaton, DragonForce, Stratovarius, and in my current arsenal, Lord. With all this talk about other bands, I'd like to make it clear that Edenbridge is unique symphonic power metal with female vocals, symphonic strings, and harmonic guitar solos. Thanks for including this glorious piece, Daniel!

Dream Evil – “Dream Evil” (from “Six”, 2017)

10/10. Dream Evil's glorious comeback after a 7-year gap between albums, and their potential new theme/anthem. Enough said!

Space Odyssey – “Embrace The Galaxy” (from “Embrace The Galaxy”, 2003)

9/10. First there was 2001: A Space Odyssey, and then there's 2003: Richard Andersson's Space Odyssey! Personally, I think this sounds a bit like another Yngwie/Dio collaboration with Rush. Beautiful song with nice vocals and spacey keys, and I probably would've perfectly loved it back in my earlier epic metal era, but now not too much.

Machinae Supremacy – “Laser Speed Force” (from “Rise Of A Digital Nation”, 2012)

10/10. Ah yes, Machinae Supremacy, a band that mixes power metal with 8-bit/trance synths. This song is a fantastic reason why they should've been more famous than they are currently, one of my favorite songs from them! When I first heard of this band 5 years ago, I decided to download a demo of Jets'n'Guns, the computer game with their own soundtrack. I gave up interest in that game after a few days but never that band, at least for a few years. If I ever have a smartphone instead of a Nokia, I would make this awesome song my ringtone. If this band ever comes to my country, you bet I will spend my money to see them live. I just love this fantastic tune with awesome lyrics! This would make great music for PVP on MMORPGs. Seriously, this is another great reason to consider metal "real" music. Still getting pumped with this song for gaming battles. It's really clear that Machinae Supremacy are the true masters of epic 8-bit metal. A solid jam for video game soundtrack fans and metalheads to love!

Gloryhammer – “Beneath Cowdenbeath” (from “Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife”, 2013)

8/10. That's interesting, Xephyr, choosing an instrumental song from an awesome epic concept album. That's perfectly fine because even though it would've been better with the sung narrations of Angus McFife, they leveled up the symphonic power metal instrumentation. If I was to choose a song from that album, I would probably picked one of their great hits like "Angus McFife", "Quest for the Hammer of Glory", or the 10-minute "Epic Rage of Furious Thunder". Either way, good song suggestions all!