Metal Academy Radio - "The Guardians" Playlist October 2020

First Post September 30, 2020 09:25 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0MRtEyUOj6hBYojxWcmbKq?si=ZNuqe83xRqu09BsW2N0yow

Tracklisting:

01. Motorhead – “Overkill” (from “Overkill”, 1979)

02. Black Sabbath – “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” (from “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath”, 1973)

03. Saxon – “747 (Strangers In The Night)” (from “Wheels Of Steel”, 1980)

04. W.A.S.P. – “Jack Action” (from “The Last Command”, 1985) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

05. Warlock – “All We Are” (from “Triumph & Agony”, 1987) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

06. Bruce Dickinson – “Darkside Of Aquarius” (from “Accident Of Birth”, 1997)

07. Graveshadow – “The Gates” (from “Ambition’s Price”, 2018) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

08. Manilla Road – “Mystification” (from “Mystification”, 1987)

09. Vinnie Moore – “The Maze” (from “The Maze”, 1999)

10. The Lord Weird Slough Feg – “High Passage/Low Passage” (from “Traveller”, 2003)

11. Freedom Call – “The Darkness” (from “Legend Of The Shadowking”, 2010) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

12. Estatic Fear – “Chapter IV” (from “A Sombre Dance”, 1999)

13. Delain – “Combustion” (from “Apocalypse & Chill”, 2020)

14. Lost Horizon – “Highlander (The One)” (from “A Flame To The Ground Beneath”, 2002)

15. Bloodbound – “Nosferatu” (from “Nosferatu”, 2006) [Submitted by Xephyr]

16. DragonForce – “Cry Thunder” (from “The Power Within”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

17. Luca Turilli – “The Ancient Forest of Elves” (from “King Of The Nordic Twilight”, 1999) [Submitted by Xephyr]

18. Blind Guardian – “Majesty” (from “Battalions Of Fear”, 1988) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

19. Solicitor – “Betrayer” (from “Spectral Devastation”, 2020)

20. Falconer – “Desert Dreams” (from “From A Dying Ember”, 2020)

October 01, 2020 04:41 PM

Got through this list as well today (productive day at work).  Looking forwards to getting stuck into that Manilla Road album for the feature release after listening to that track on here.  Great call on the ...Slough Feg track from a great record overall.

October 05, 2020 01:38 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Freedom Call – “The Darkness” (from “Legend Of The Shadowking”, 2010)

9/10. This is one of the darkest power metal songs I've heard in my earlier epic metal taste. I suppose anyone can say Powerwolf is darker than this but for some reason I've never really listened to that band back then, so we'll go with this Freedom Call track that I was more familiar with. This one starts with a doomy intro before switching to a typical power metal song with a dark vibe. I chose that one because it seems so Halloween-ish enough for the October playlist.

DragonForce – “Cry Thunder” (from “The Power Within”, 2012)

11/10 (not exaggerated). Another one of my favorite DragonForce songs, and my favorite with their new vocalist Marc Hudson! An amazing song worth playing air-guitar until your fingers break and headbanging until you sprain your neck. Its mid-tempo pace (unlike their usual faster songs) reminds me of Irish folk and especially the Skyrim theme. This would fit well for when Thor has his own army to lead him into war and fight. Seriously, it's that awesome!! You can't miss this! It fits well not just for Skyrim or Final Fantasy but also for any MMORPG that has ever existed. I agree with anyone who says this is nice and beautiful. It's really good for when medieval dragons face off against space aliens. An epic hit that has established DragonForce as one of the greatest modern power metal bands besides Alestorm. Well done, DF!

Blind Guardian – “Majesty” (from “Battalions Of Fear”, 1988)

10/10. The one song that opened Blind Guardian's career in their own big bang, a speed metal classic chosen for this playlist because it foreshadows their more majestic power metal sound. But what's with the odd circus organ intro though!? This is the ultimate opener for a speed/power metal band's discography, as grand as how Black Sabbath made their grand opening of heavy metal with the first track of their first album back in 1970. The mix of Lord of the Rings lyrics with speed metal is known as a prototype for their power metal sound, and is tied with "Valhalla" as their best song from their earlier speed metal era, both caught in a 3-way tie with "Mirror Mirror" for the ultimate Blind Guardian song. The last two minutes are absolutely killer with amazing majesty and speedy force, especially the drums. It's enough to even make Metallica surprised by how superb this band is. A majestic beginning of a band's glorious journey!