July 2020 Feature Release - The Guardians Edition

First Post June 30, 2020 07:35 PM

It's now July which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. Ben & I will certainly be contributing & we look forward to hearing your thoughts too.  

This month's feature release for The Guardians is 1987''s highly regarded "Maximum Security" album from Massachusetts-based neoclassical guitar virtuoso Tony MacAlpine. Tony was one of a small group of ridiculously talented artists responsible for bringing the instrumental guitar hero record into the mainstream during the mid-to-late 1980's & his neoclassical technique is often mentioned in the same sort of terms as more familiar names likes Yngwie Malmsteen & Jason Becker. But be warned, if you're a struggling bedroom shredder then be prepared to throw your instrument out the window after hearing this one.

https://metal.academy/releases/10391

July 21, 2020 06:28 PM

I love shred albums, and this one was no exception. This one struck me a bit differently though, since many of these neoclassical jam sessions are more or less the same once you get down to the nitty-gritty of what they really are. Maximum Security felt like it had a bit more meaning and substance to it apart from the shred, more movement and feeling. It's most likely because the shredding is used more sparingly, but there's also some great choices of melody and extra bits and pieces like the piano interlude that make this feel like a fleshed out album rather than just notes crammed onto a late 80's disk. I found this collection of instrumentals to be immediately more recognizable and memorable than the likes of Malmsteen, but maybe not as much as someone like Joe Satriani. The piano interlude is great as it really plays into the neo-classical style that these 80's shredders worshiped, and the synth aspects are smoothly incorporated, not sounding too forced whatsoever. 

I found Maximum Security a pleasure just to have on in the background, which is a huge testament to Tony Macalpine's smooth and more subdued songwriting. While not the most adventurous record, I definitely prefer the likes of this over the 1,000 notes per second scales that have been played one too many times before. Maximum Security also succeeds in keeping the song length lower, with only a few tracks reaching the 4 and a half minute mark, which I think is fair for guitar noodling like this. Just a classy instrumental shred album through and through. 

4/5