Powerslave is 40 Years Old Today

First Post September 03, 2024 12:41 PM

Holy f*@&ing shit, I can't believe this has been forty years already. Great tour in support of this album, one of my favourite Maiden tours. Obviously Live After Death came from this tour, so you can hear it for yourselves. Powerslave is probably my favourite pure heavy metal album of all time.

What's everybody's favourite track from it? Mine is a little bit of a curveball because I just love "Flash of the Blade", Bruce's love song to his passion for fencing.

September 03, 2024 02:24 PM

Thanks for the reminder, I shall be cranking the volume all the way up tonight! I love each and every minute of this beauty, and personally, I wouldn't hesitate to name it as the greatest achievement in the history of heavy metal (and The Guardians for that matter).

I have to go with the epic title track as my favorite, but it's closely followed by "The Duellists", with its wonderful guitar dialogues, and indeed, the infinitely fun "Flash of the Blade". Although I'd suggest that the tracklist is absolutely stellar all the way through, with every single track a potential favorite of someone's.

September 03, 2024 03:00 PM

I would have to go with 2 Minutes to Midnight ahead of Flash of the Blade or Aces High.  There's a lot to appreciate here (minus the instrumental and The Duellists - both of which are filler) with the b-side being just as potent and memorable as the the a-side.

I remember getting the album (borrowed) of my cousin and I was just fascinated with it as much as the music as any 13 year old would be.

September 03, 2024 07:03 PM

I would suggest that "Aces High" is my personal pick but it's closely followed by "Powerslave". It's a top three heavy metal album for me personally. I came to it shortly after discovering Maiden through "Somewhere in Time", "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" & "Live After Death" in quick succession in 1988.

September 09, 2024 01:46 PM

Probably gotta be "Powerslave" for me, even though it's a very tough pick between most of the tracks on the album, honestly. As someone who didn't necessarily grow up with Iron Maiden, I had myself do a complete marathon of their discography back when the only full album I had listened to was The Number of the Beast. To this day, Powerslave remains my favorite Iron Maiden album through and through, even though Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son come closest. I'll admit that I'd probably have to go back and spend some more time with their entire 1980's catalogue to get a fully updated opinion since their output for an entire decade was extremely dense, but for now I'll keep with my opinion that Powerslave stands out amongst a legendary discography and is stellar from start to finish.