"The Roots of Metal" Project

October 23, 2023 12:42 AM

After thinking about it over the last few days, I don't think tagging a release with a broad, all-encompassing up-stream genre like "Metal" really accomplishes anything though to be honest. Genre-tags are really about drawing an appropriate audience to a release so they need to provide a broad overview of what people can expect to hear. Therefore, I've always thought that I should choose a tag that encompasses as much of the release as possible. If you ask yourself the question "Who will be more likely to enjoy this release?", is it ANY fan of metal or is it stoner metal fans? I would have thought that stoner fans are likely to enjoy the vast majority of this material, even if some of it sits outside of the metal spectrum. This concept is only made more relevant by our clan configuration & I'd suggest that The Fallen members are more in tune with this sound than The Guardians members are so the tag should reside in the group of genres attached to The Fallen in my opinion.

Quoted Daniel

I would make the point that Black Sabbath is the kind of band most metalheads enjoy regardless of what genre they are. You could probably say the same about Metallica too, at least the thrash metal years.

Anyway, Fairies gets a hard rock/heavy metal vote from me.

October 23, 2023 01:03 AM
I don't think that's correct these days to be honest. There are plenty of people that only like death/black metal or power metal or the -core genres or progressive metal & wouldn't necessarily like Black Sabbath or Metallica. I know quite a few of them actually.
October 23, 2023 01:08 AM

Here's how I would genre-tag the 8 tracks in the album:

1. War Pigs - Hard rock/heavy metal/doom metal/progressive rock

2. Paranoid - Heavy metal

3. Planet Caravan - Psychedelia

4. Iron Man - Heavy metal

5. Electric Funeral - Stoner metal/hard rock/heavy metal/progressive rock

6. Hand of Doom - Hard rock/heavy metal/progressive rock/psychedelic rock

7. Rat Salad - Blues rock/hard rock/heavy metal

8. Fairies Wear Boots - Blues rock/hard rock

Primary genres: Heavy metal, hard rock

Secondary genres: Progressive rock, blues rock

You guys have fun with this project, but I'm gonna head out of this thread. As much fun as I had exploring the earlier metal releases, I want to get my mind back into the present. There are a few newer releases from other bands of different genres that I plan to review. Will I continue my time in this Roots project someday? I don't know. But I'm done here for now.

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

Love that you do this, makes it simple. But here are my changes.
1. War Pigs - Hard rock/heavy metal

2. Paranoid - Heavy metal

3. Planet Caravan - Psychedelia

4. Iron Man - Heavy metal

5. Electric Funeral - Stoner metal/hard rock

6. Hand of Doom - Hard rock/progressive metal/psychedelic rock

7. Rat Salad - Blues rock/hard rock/

8. Fairies Wear Boots - Blues rock/hard rock/

So really only the big hits in War Pigs, Paranoid, and Iron Man I actually consider heavy metal here. Though I would put Hand of Doom leaning into prog metal. 

October 23, 2023 01:14 AM

It would seem that everyone is comfortable that more than 40% of "Paranoid" is genuine metal thus far so I think we're fairly safe to pencil it into the chronological list of the earliest metal releases.

October 23, 2023 07:47 PM

Ok, let's kick off our investigation of Sir Lord Baltimore's 1970 debut album "Kingdom Come" with the opening track "Master Hearrtache" then. Metal or not? What subgenre?

It's a hard rock track as far as I can see. No metal to speak of here.

October 24, 2023 12:10 AM

I think this track is at least hard rock heavy metal for its edge, but most of the songs on the album really aren't QUITE as heavy so it might require a second listen.

October 24, 2023 12:44 AM
Hard Rock. Drums are a normal rock beat, extremely bluesy riffing, pretty freeform in the guitar slides and stuff so it doesn't really center around the riff except for the bass holding it down in the back, and it's basically a "Rock Ending" on the fadeout.
October 24, 2023 01:56 AM

I'm not sure what to describe it beyond not primarily metal. It dances around so much in ways I don't really know of as a style. I hear bits I would describe as metal but few and far between. I guess heavy psych primary, hard rock, blues rock secondary.

October 24, 2023 06:58 PM

How about "Hard Rain Fallin"? Metal or not? What subgenre is it?

There's no metal here as far as I'm concerned. It's pure hard rock.

October 24, 2023 07:18 PM

Less heavy than before.  Hard rock.

October 24, 2023 07:28 PM

While we explore "Kingdom Come", I'd also like to seek nominations for the 1971 records we'll be investigating. Black Sabbath's "Master of Reality" is a given & I feel that we probably should do Budgie's self-titled debut as well given the general feeling around that record. These are the other potential candidates:

Sir Lord Baltimore - "Sir Lord Baltimore"

Flower Travellin' Band - "Satori"

Thin Lizzy - "Thin Lizzy"

Deep Purple - "Fireball"

Anyone see anything they think is definitely metal & feel strongly about there?

October 24, 2023 07:36 PM

Budgie debut maybe?

October 24, 2023 07:42 PM

Yeah, despite my own feelings on Budgie's metal credentials, I feel that their debut is talked about as being a metal release often enough to qualify for investigation in this thread. I recall it being the heaviest of their 1970's releases too.

October 25, 2023 03:40 PM

Hard rock.

While we explore "Kingdom Come", I'd also like to seek nominations for the 1971 records we'll be investigating. Black Sabbath's "Master of Reality" is a given & I feel that we probably should do Budgie's self-titled debut as well given the general feeling around that record. These are the other potential candidates:

Sir Lord Baltimore - "Sir Lord Baltimore"

Flower Travellin' Band - "Satori"

Thin Lizzy - "Thin Lizzy"

Deep Purple - "Fireball"

Anyone see anything they think is definitely metal & feel strongly about there?

Quoted Daniel

The argument you're making for Budgie is the same argument you rejected for Lucifer's Friend.

That said, I see merit to the other Sir Lord Baltimore album, I distinctly remember one of these albums sounding metal and if it isn't this one, it has to be that one. Otherwise I don't think any of those are metal, Thin Lizzy is soft IIRC, and reading up on Fireball it's definitely hard rock.

October 25, 2023 06:21 PM

I didn’t reject any argument for Lucifer’s Friend Morpheus. You said it wasn’t a metal release & I took your word for it as I haven’t heard it. I was also conscious that RYM has a largely negative vote tally for "Lucifer's Friend" which isn't the case for "Budgie" so was looking for some sort of justification. I’m perfectly happy to include it if you think it’s justified.

October 25, 2023 07:41 PM

What do we think about "Lady of Fire"? Metal or not? What specific subgenre?

It's basically Jimi Hendrix style psychedelic rock that's been pumped up to eleven with some psychotic lead guitar work. I'll go with heavy psych on this one. Does anyone else hear the chorus of Deep Purple's "Woman From Tokyo" in the guitar melody that comes in directly after the chorus?

October 25, 2023 08:56 PM

I don't remember Woman from Tokyo very well, but I'm more or less going with Daniel's description on this one.

October 26, 2023 12:57 AM

Heavy psych. Kind of sounds of like an amped up version of School's Out.

I didn’t reject any argument for Lucifer’s Friend Morpheus. You said it wasn’t a metal release & I took your word for it as I haven’t heard it. I was also conscious that RYM has a largely negative vote tally for "Lucifer's Friend" which isn't the case for "Budgie" so was looking for some sort of justification. I’m perfectly happy to include it if you think it’s justified.

Quoted Daniel

I was kind of throwing it over to everyone else's judgment as considerable debate amount it and it might be interesting to discuss.

October 26, 2023 07:02 PM

I'm not sure anyone else has heard it Morpheus but if it's been such a divisive release at Metal Archives then let's include it as our next record to investigate.

How about " Lake Isle of Innersfree" then? Metal or not? What subgenre?

It's certainly not metal & I'd also suggest that it's not a pop song of any description. I'm gonna go for chamber folk.

October 26, 2023 11:31 PM

I don't care what folk we put it under as long as it's not metal.

October 27, 2023 12:20 AM

If chamber folk describes a modern band playing a harpsicord, so it is chamber folk.

October 27, 2023 06:20 PM

How about "Pumped Up" then? Metal or not? What subgenre?

It's certainly got a lot of rock 'n' roll electricity about it & I'd imagine that some of that intensity has fooled a few punters into thinking it's a metal song in a similar way to Deep Purple's "Speed King". "Pumped Up" is just hard rock on steroids though in my opinion. It sounds very much like the more potent Led Zeppelin moments with the lead guitar work being centred around Jimi Hendrix.

October 27, 2023 07:12 PM

I think I'm gonna go hard rock heavy metal on this one because it's got a lot of energy that makes me want to bang my head despite its obvious blues rock elements.

October 28, 2023 02:57 PM

There's metal there, but I'm not so sure there's enough metal there to earn it a hard rock/heavy metal rating, it's just between having it as a primary and having it as a secondary.