May 2023 - Feature Release - The Guardians Edition

First Post April 30, 2023 09:38 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Guardians has been nominated by Xephyr. It's the highly regarded 2006 "When Eden Burns" third album from Swedish power metallers Persuader.

https://metal.academy/releases/12742

May 08, 2023 10:05 AM

I did my review, here's its summary:

When Eden Burns still blows my mind away even after the downfall of my power metal interest revival! With melodic yet heavy riffing and amazing vocals, I'm glad to still recognize most of the greatness of this Swedish power metal band Persuader. Many songs are fast enough to almost be considered melodic thrash while the power metal sound dominates. The impressive vocals remind me of Blind Guardian's Hansi Kürsch (YES, I had to say it!). There's also a small amount of harsh vocals having a bit of a Children of Bodom vibe. All that's missing is keyboards for soloing, but that would cause too much cheese. With strong determination in their writing, When Eden Burns should've given this underrated band more attention!

4.5/5

May 19, 2023 10:00 AM

It's an understatement to say that I am not the world's biggest European Power Metal fan, but I can get along with it in small doses and whenever I am confronted by an album of EUPM, I hold out some hope that this will be the one to change my mind on the genre as a whole. Spoiler alert: this is not that album, but I didn't find listening to it to be a terrible chore either. Instrumentally When Eden Burns had a fair bit to enjoy with the odd killer, thrashy riff and some nice soloing on display. However, my primary and perennial issue with EUPM is in the vocal department where OTT delivery seems to be a requirement, as does the Queen-like layered backing vocals, all of which do sweet FA for me I'm afraid. Sure, I like vocalists who have range - I really dig such metal stalwarts as Dickinson, Halford and even Joey Belladonna - but there is just something about the lead vocals in EUPM that rubs me up the wrong way. The earnestness with which the lyrics are delivered is often just too much for me to take seriously and ultimately I find this area to be where the cheesy odour that pervades EUPM smells strongest. To be sure, Persuader vocalist Jens Carlsson is far from the most egregious example of OTT vocalists, but it's still a part of Persuader's sound, as are those irritating, choral backing vocals. Thankfully Persuader don't feel the need to double-down on the excess by drenching their sound with layer upon layer of keyboards and this is a wise move, because when they are at their best, ie when they are at their most thrashy they have quite a visceral sound, not unlike early Iced Earth.

I can't claim any great urge to revisit When Eden Burns after this and I know it may feel like I am damning with faint praise, but it is one of the least annoying euro-pm albums I have heard.

3/5

June 01, 2023 03:18 AM

Didn't really have enough time this month to this to this more than a couple of times, but Persuader is definitely a great band. One of the better ones once you get into that "regular PM isn't so great, but having a twisted edge" phase. In retrospect I think there's just enough on this album dragging it away from the sort of perfection I feel Evolution Purgatory once embodied to me. The last two songs on the album in particular kind of just feel like they're there, but the rest is killer.