Metal Academy 2022 Awards - The Guardians Edition

First Post January 19, 2023 02:31 PM

So with the start of a new year it's once again time to have a look at the most important releases from the one that's just passed with the ultimate winner from each clan being announced in early February.

Here are the releases that are currently competing for the prestigious 2022 The Guardians Release of the Year Award (i.e. they have 3 or more ratings) :

Blind Guardian - The God Machine

Sabaton - The War To End All Wars

...and that's it! Seems like a pretty clear winner to me, but here are some extras that have 2 ratings:

Alestorm - Seventh Rum of a Seventh Rum

Fellowship - The Saberlight Chronicles 

Saxon - Carpe Diem

Septicflesh - Modern Primitive

Venator - Echoes From the Gutter

Other albums I'd say deserve a spot more than any of the 2 rating choices (other than Fellowship) and your attention from 2022 are: 

Riot City - Electric Elite

Satan - Earth Infernal

Sumerlands - Dreamkiller

Then some other, less strong releases if you're feeling particularly explorative:

Maule - Maule

Stratovarius - Survive

Avantasia - A Paranormal Evening with the Moonflower Society

The Ferrymen - One More River To Cross

New Horizon - Gate of the Gods

January 20, 2023 12:25 PM

Thanks for mentioning the Satan album, Xephyr, as I missed it first time around. I didn't think it was still possible to produce a pure heavy metal album this good. It manages to harken back to the band's NWOBHM roots whilst still sounding fresh and relevant. I have this pegged at a 4.5 currently, but I absolutely love each and every track and I don't hear anything I don't like, so it may make it to a perfect 5.0 yet! This would definitely be my nom for The Guardians' crown.

February 04, 2023 02:28 AM

I think the Fellowship record was the only The Guardians release I checked out for the entire year which is a pretty clear indication that it's the clan that offers me the least appeal these days. I didn't enjoy the experience either.