Make a recommendation to a fellow member of The Guardians

May 25, 2021 08:17 AM

In my review for Transcendence, in the conclusion I wrote that the album is especially for "anyone who has listened to the more popular classic heavy metal bands like the 3 I mentioned above (Maiden, Priest, and Queensrÿche) and lived under a metal-free rock since 1987", and it reminded me of another Pearls Before Swine comic, which I've also just made a parody of. I'm glad to be in a website where everyone here (including myself) each has their own unique gathering of metal subgenres they enjoy, and sure the genre in general in the present might seem sad and bleak, but we sometimes have to face the dark reality...

May 29, 2021 09:45 PM

Crimson Glory - "Crimson Glory" (1986)

Andi & Xephyr, now that I've warmed you up with "Transcendence", let's move on to the real deal because Crimson Glory's debut is not only a step up in class from their sophomore record but it's also a top ten heavy metal release for me overall. The stunning vocal hooks & harmonies, the searing guitar solos, the anthemic atmosphere.... it's all there & it's a testament to the quality of this release that it still makes such a significant impact on me after all these years. Vinny, you should get on this one too if you haven't already.

For fans of Queensryche, Savatage & Virgin Steele.

4.5/5

P.S. Much like "Transcendence" , I have to question the relevance of the US power metal tag that seems to so often be associated with Crimson Glory. There's one (possibly two) tracks that fit that mould but the majority of the tracklisting isn't anything drastically different to what the Priests & Maidens were doing so I see no reason to differentiate it as such. It seems to me that some people get so hung up on the operatic & slightly more theatrical vocal style of records like this one that they try to drag them into power metal territory unjustly but should remember that the Halford's & Dickinson's are also known to head in that direction but don't tend to be treated in the same way.

May 29, 2021 11:42 PM
All right, time for my Crimson Glory review Round 2, this time with their debut! I might also try reviewing that Virgin Steele album from the other day as well...
May 30, 2021 12:53 AM

I might also try reviewing that Virgin Steele album from the other day as well...

Quoted shadowdoom9

It’ll be much more up your alley than it is mine Andi so I’d encourage you to go down that path.

May 31, 2021 12:46 PM
Both the Crimson Glory and Virgin Steele albums are golden Guardians classic masterpieces. Cheers for the recs, Daniel! Both 5/5.
June 15, 2021 03:29 AM

Oh man that's a blast from the past, Two Steps From Hell got pretty popular back in 2010 or something, I forget what movie they were in or what they covered but I definitely listened to quite a bit of their stuff back then. While I enjoy the Symphonic part of Symphonic Metal as much as the next guy I think that a whole album of Two Steps From Hell was always a bit repetitive since most of their pieces are broken down into shorter songs rather than traditional Classical music that has a much more drawn out length and normally multiple movements to it. I'm willing to give it another shot though, it's been YEARS by now. 

July 23, 2021 09:47 PM

Bruce Dickinson - "Accident Of Birth" (1997)

Vinny & Andi, I'd suggest you give this one a few spins if you haven't already.

July 23, 2021 11:14 PM
This should be interesting, listening to some of Bruce Dickinson's material outside Iron Maiden. Listening and review coming up!
July 24, 2021 12:34 AM
Some of the best heavy metal to listen to from an Iron Maiden member's solo material. Cheers for the rec, Daniel! 5/5
August 14, 2021 08:13 PM

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - "Traveller" (2003)

Andi, I'd imagine that you'd really dig this epic US power metal record. You too Vinny if you haven't already given it a run. Think Brocas Helm, Manilla Road & Eternal Champion.

August 14, 2021 11:29 PM
Here comes an album full of sci-fi-RPG-inspired US power metal! Listening and review coming up...
August 15, 2021 02:00 AM

One of the finest US power metal concept albums! Cheers for the rec, Daniel! 5/5

August 15, 2021 08:38 AM

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - "Traveller" (2003)

Andi, I'd imagine that you'd really dig this epic US power metal record. You too Vinny if you haven't already given it a run. Think Brocas Helm, Manilla Road & Eternal Champion.

Quoted Daniel

I have it in my collection already, thanks.  One of the most consistent bands in terms of quality of output.

August 18, 2021 12:21 AM

Glad you enjoy that Kamelot album, Daniel! Now it's time to get to the more underrated and slightly more epic album Epica, an album that could use slightly more attention. This one tells the first part of Goethe's Faust that continues in the next one, and its album title inspired the name of Dutch symphonic metallers Epica whom their lead singer Simone Simons would appear in a song from said next album. Kamelot's Epica was one of my favorite albums back in the power metal day, and maybe someday I can write a full review. This would surely delight you with more of Kamelot's prog-ish power metal. Vinny and Saxy, I highly recommend Kamelot's Epica to you two as well. Xephyr, please share with us your opinion on this album, whether in a thread or a review.

December 07, 2021 12:12 AM

Xephyr, I can't believe you have not yet listened to Wuthering Heights' Far From the Madding Crowd, it's the ultimate blend of power metal, progressive metal, and folk elements to satisfy your main clans. I would be more pleased than surprised if some of these songs were the influences for the first half of Trivium's recent epic "The Shadow of the Abattoir". So please prioritize listening to this Wuthering Heights album ASAP!

February 07, 2022 09:21 PM

Finally got around to Wuthering Heights and I'm surprised as you are that these guys went under my radar for so long, considering you're absolutely right that they exemplify a fusion of qualities that I'm quite fond of. I checked out both this release and The Shadow Cabinet as well and at first I thought I preferred Far From The Madding Crowd, but I think The Shadow Cabinet wins out by being more consistent and a bit more confident with its songwriting. The two albums remind me of the comparison between Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations From The Other Side, with the first album being a bit more experimental, creative, and daring, but the follow up being much more consistent and bombastic. Both have their place but I think The Shadow Cabinet ends up being the more solid experience, despite the truly atrocious transition between the awful spoken word "Reason...?" into "Sleep".

I think what's cool about Wuthering Heights is that, despite being an over the top cheese-fest, their density and complexity of songwriting makes it so the Western Fantasy Power Metal bombast isn't so eye-rolling. There's some really impressive stuff going on in both of the albums that makes it a much more interesting listen than your standard Power Metal fare. Somehow all of the singular influences from Power, Progressive, and Folk metal come together in a very coherent product that I'm looking forward to continue going back to.

August 28, 2022 09:21 AM

Rexorcist and Xephyr, I would be interested in hearing you guys' thoughts on one of Kamelot's grand masterpieces, Karma. Morpheus, if you haven't gotten around to listening to this superb offering, I would highly recommend it.