April 2022 Feature Release - The Guardians Edition

First Post March 31, 2022 10:45 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Guardians, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is the 2003 6th album from Florida-based (European-style) power metallers Kamelot, Epica. This band made their breakthrough with The Black Halo, but their previous album is very underrated compared to that album. Epica contains the first half of the two-album Faust story and, in my opinion, is what really sealed the epic progressive-ish power metal sound the band is known for. They would also inspire the name of another epic band Epica when that band was recording their debut album the same year. If you enjoy the band Epica and their lead vocalist's guest appearance in The Black Halo, Epica is the album to listen to and thank.

https://metal.academy/releases/2278

April 01, 2022 10:46 AM

I did my review, here's its summary:

It was their 6th album, and Kamelot was still a barely recognizable underground power metal band. Nonetheless, their 2003 album Epica would reach the ultimate pinnacle of their sound and lead them to a more prominent record label that would release their next album The Black Halo in 2005 and propel the band to global prominence. What do those two albums have in common? Well they both tell a tale based on an old play, Goethe's Faust. However, while they're both two of the best Kamelot albums, Epica is darker in atmosphere and smoother when flowing through songs and interludes, in the same kind of ratio as Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth. With heavy power metal tunes, amazing ballads (yes, they're awesome), and deep lyrics, Epica is their most underrated work. Vocalist Roy Khan sounds like HIM's Ville Valo trying to sing as high and operatic as Tarja from Nightwish, and that's good because it adds a unique edge to the singing. Perfect vocal talent to fit well with the atmosphere! Guitarist Thomas Youngblood has more talent in heavy riffing, beautiful solos, soft acoustics. His awesome skills help keep Kamelot and its music alive. Bassist Glenn Barry also has talent, and often while drowned out in the guitar waves, still shines in some tracks. Drummer Casey Grillo is also talented pummels in a well-flowing fashion through the beauty of the riffs and melodies. The album is filled with guest members, but two of them definitely need to be mentioned. Miro provides the keyboards, piano, and orchestration that have the most effect in the ballads, while enhancing the heavier songs. Mari Youngblood (Thomas' wife) sings beautifully in a few tracks, in great sync with Khan's vocals. Created for this tale is the world of Epica. Love and loss spreads throughout the saga. A man named Ariel has a great amount of wealth and power but often gets cocky and overconfident. His fate is in the hands of the dark demonized angel Mephisto, intending to lead Ariel into trouble. Helena is a beautiful Maiden whom Ariel is in love with, though (SPOILER) Mephisto's sinister mind-games would ultimately cost her life. There's much more depth in the detail in Epica than in The Black Halo, and there's much more interaction between the characters. Some minor characters each appearing in only one song include the Master of Ceremonies and a River Spirit (both voiced by John Wilton). There's also a choir to go along with the orchestration. You just gotta listen to this album for the full story, with more detail in my review, but I'll say. Epica should really be checked out for fans of Kamelot and especially their album The Black Halo, if they wanna hear the band's sound at the best and what leads to the part of the story they know more of. The more global part of Kamelot's journey may have begun after being signed to a greater record deal for their next album, but the best of their sound is in this epic album of Epica!

5/5

Recommended songs: "Center of the Universe", "Farewell", "Wander", "Descent of the Archangel", "A Feast for the Vain", "Lost and Damned", "The Mourning After (Carry On)", "III Ways To Epica"

For fans of: Epica (the band), Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire

April 08, 2022 06:22 PM

This one definitely took a couple of listens for me to get into as I was initially taken off-guard by how European it sounds. I mean there's a lot of melodic/symphonic stuff going on here, much more than on "The Black Halo" which offers a more mature sound than this. It's interesting that you see "Epica" as the darker album Andi because I see it very much the other way around. Thankfully repeat listens saw the quality in some of the chorus hooks starting to dig their teeth in & I eventually found myself enjoying "Epica", just nowhere near as much as I'd hoped I would given that "The Black Halo" is my all-time favourite power metal release. "Epica" on the other hand is a bit of a mixed bag for me personally with some really strong material being brought back to earth by some cheesier stuff. I struggled with the most popular track on the album "Center of the Universe" as well as "A Feast for the Vain" & "Lost & Damned" while the many short interludes were pretty hit & miss too. The stronger material was really very solid though, particularly my album highlight "Wander" (one of two ballads included), the muscular "Farewell" & the well-composed "The Mourning After (Carry On)". There's an absolute crap-tonne of Dream Theater worship going on on this record & frontman Roy Khan very clearly wants to be James LaBrie. Little does he know that he's actually the more talented vocalist of the two though & his power & control are one of the keys to the success of this album. I would have toned down the symphonics a bit but the rest of the instrumentation is splendidly executed. It's just that I could really do without some of the more European sounding power metal moments like the guitar melodies that kick off "Center of the Universe". Overall, "Epica" is not a bad power metal record. It just doesn't come close to reaching the dizzying heights of the anthems found on its follow-up. Awful cover artwork apart from the hotty with the wings too.

3.5/5