2021 Metal Academy "The Guardians" Clan Awards

First Post February 02, 2022 10:59 AM

So the hour is finally at hand. The announcement that all of our dedicated clan members have been eagerly anticipating for the last couple of months has arrived at long last. It brings me great pleasure to announce that The Guardian's Release of the Year iiiiiissssss....... *insert blast beat drum roll here*

Epica - "Omega"

And The Guardian's Cover Artwork Of The Year goes ttttttooooooo...

Accept - "Too Mean To Die"

February 03, 2022 11:34 AM

"Omega" was actually our highest rating release of the year overall however I can't see it being something that'd appeal to me so I've given it a wide birth. Perhaps I'll re-evaluate that position after this result though.

P.S. I'm surprised to see that Accept cover artwork winning. Must have been slim pickings this year.

February 03, 2022 01:22 PM
I think most people are in agreement that Omega is good, but I've seen a bunch of people take the stance that it's 'just another Epica album'. Which I can understand, but as someone who was never exactly drawn to Epica in the past, I think this one is a cut above everything else they've released thus far. Highest rating release of the year seems a bit much considering all the other winners, but that's what variable sample sizes will do.
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 03, 2022 09:15 PM

"Omega" was actually our highest rating release of the year overall however I can't see it being something that'd appeal to me so I've given it a wide birth. Perhaps I'll re-evaluate that position after this result though.

P.S. I'm surprised to see that Accept cover artwork winning. Must have been slim pickings this year.

Quoted Daniel

I'm personally also surprised that Accept's album managed to clinch it. It's good, but I'd never have predicted it to win. Below are some of my favourite Guardians covers for the year.

February 03, 2022 10:32 PM

I'd just like to stick up for the Accept cover. I like it's simplicity and it certainly screams "METAL". The trouble with a lot of the power metal covers is that, like the genre itself, they throw the kitchen sink at them and they often end up too busy for my taste. That said, I voted for the Everdawn cover as I really dug the whole Cleopatra and cats thing - very Liz Taylor!!

February 03, 2022 10:36 PM

Just our of interest, did you apply a number of ratings filter when determining the clan release winners and if you did, did it vary from clan to clan?

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 04, 2022 12:44 AM

Just our of interest, did you apply a number of ratings filter when determining the clan release winners and if you did, did it vary from clan to clan?

Quoted Sonny

Minimum of 4 ratings.

When there were ties, the release with the most ratings won.

If still a tie, then the clan rating was the decider.

February 04, 2022 04:11 AM

Don't lie Ben. You know perfectly well that we did it the same way as all the other major metal sites by awarding the win to the highest bidders & the bands that send us the most free shit & share the most of their blow.

February 04, 2022 07:09 AM

Don't lie Ben. You know perfectly well that we did it the same way as all the other major metal sites by awarding the win to the highest bidders & the bands that send us the most free shit & share the most of their blow.

Quoted Daniel

Said Daniel, typing in his Epica kimono and slippers set.

February 04, 2022 07:51 AM

Nah... Epica won out by sending me a 1349 COVID mask & a set of limited edition Devourment condoms. I dunno why my wife freaks out so much when I wear them simultaneously though. It's a mystery.

February 04, 2022 01:06 PM

Nah... Epica won out by sending me a 1349 COVID mask & a set of limited edition Devourment condoms. I dunno why my wife freaks out so much when I wear them simultaneously though. It's a mystery.

Quoted Daniel

Now you've ruined it for next year telling everybody what the going price is!

(Just so any bands know, if you need a hand in earning a prestigious award like Metal Academy Clan Release of the Year, my star ratings are available at very reasonable rates)