February 2022 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post January 31, 2022 10:59 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3w8wz5HBOoks78mYzldAMq?si=17ebf9390a0a4e08

Tracklisting:

1. Nightwish - The Poet and the Pendulum (from The Poet and the Pendulum, 2007) [Submitted by Andi]

2. Eternity's End - Bane of the Black Sword (from Embers of War, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

3. Bombus - Abomination Rock'n'Roll (from Abomination Rock'n'Roll, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

4. Lethal - Killing Machine (from Programmed, 1990)

5. Judas Priest - Leather Rebel (from Painkiller, 1990)

6. The Cry of the Banshee - Pagan Altar (from Mythical & Magical, 2006)

7. Ghost - Death Knell (from Opus Eponymous, 2010)

8. Hammers of Misfortune - War Anthem (from The Locust Years, 2006) 

9. Masterplan - Soulburn (from Masterplan, 2003) 

10. Sonata Arctica - 8th Commandment (from Ecliptica, 1999) [Submitted by Andi]

11. HammerFall - Hearts on Fire (from Crimson Thunder, 2002) [Submitted by Andi]

12. ANGRA - Mystery Machine (from Fireworks, 1998) [Submitted by Andi]

13. Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind (from Follow the Blind, 1989) 

14. Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come (from Dead Heart In a Dead World, 2000)

15. Helstar - Harker's Tale (Mass Of Death) (from Nosferatu, 1989) 

16. DragonForce - My Heart Will Go On (from Extreme Power Metal, 2019) [Submitted by Andi]

17. TOWER - Blood Moon (from Shock to the System, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

18. Armoured Saint - Standing on the Shoulders of Giants (from Punching the Sky, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

19. Icarus Witch - Through Your Eyes (from Goodbye Cruel World, 2018)

20. Sabaton - Bismarck (Bismarck, 2019)

21. Rage - Virginity (from Resurrection Day, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

22. Heavy Sentence - On the Run (from Bang to Rights, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

23. Axel Rudi Pell - Carsousel (from Oceans of Time, 1998)

February 01, 2022 01:51 AM

Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Nightwish - The Poet and the Pendulum (from The Poet and the Pendulum, 2007)

5/5. Ah yeah, let's start this playlist with one of the greatest symphonic metal album opening epics! 5 parts go on through an incredible 14 minutes. But why should I describe them all? It's too beautiful for words. Just listen and learn!

Eternity's End - Bane of the Black Sword (from Embers of War, 2021)

4.5/5. This one is slightly more mid-paced, escalating through the pre-chorus before the chorus where Sanson's vocals march with the two-man Iron Savior army (background choir-like vocals by two Iron Savior members, Piet Sielck and Jan-Soren Eckert).

Sonata Arctica - 8th Commandment (from Ecliptica, 1999)

4/5. A slightly weak but still awesome song, the instrumentation isn't super great, but what makes up for it is the cool intro riff, good chorus, and catchy soloing. Still a good recommendation for Sonata Arctica fans and newcomers.

HammerFall - Hearts on Fire (from Crimson Thunder, 2002)

5/5. There's room for another signature classic, a fist-pumping power metal anthem with great chorus lines.

ANGRA - Mystery Machine (from Fireworks, 1998)

4.5/5. I loved the albums that had Andre Matos. RIP... It's great songs like this that makes Fireworks an amazing classic album. What an excellent masterful king of Brazilian power metal vocals this man was. There's an amazing solo too! Scooby Doo, where the f*** are you!?

Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind (from Follow the Blind, 1989) 

5/5. Another brilliant piece from one of the early power metal masters! If there ever is a Lord of the Rings-like medieval fantasy film with Blind Guardian songs as soundtrack, let me have a ticket to watch it!

Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come (from Dead Heart In a Dead World, 2000)

4.5/5. This is one of the more popular Nevermore songs. An "unstoppable flood" digs everyone into his grave with no shelter or salvation. The whole "River Dragon" metaphor is a good idea with its dragon theme similar to "Becoming the Dragon" by Trivium, but the chorus is too repetitive with its same lamenting tone.

Helstar - Harker's Tale (Mass Of Death) (from Nosferatu, 1989)

4/5. Dracula-inspired power metal with a killer solo by André Corbin. It is quite underrated, but I don't see too much grace this band could potentially have. But never mind, the Dickinson-like vocals are bad-a**, though the attempts for the vocals to go high is slightly pathetic. Some of the darker songs like this one might've inspired Death's Chuck Schuldiner to add more technicality to his band's sound. I probably would dig this band more about 5 years ago, seriously.

DragonForce - My Heart Will Go On (from Extreme Power Metal, 2019)

5/5. What's really amazing is the band's cover of the Celine Dion hit song. After a 30-second 8-bit intro, the chaos booms in as the band plays the cover, sounding nearly twice as fast as the original Celine Dion song! That's way better than their cover of "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash from Maximum Overload.

Sabaton - Bismarck (Bismarck, 2019)

4.5/5. Amazing song with great words of historical war wisdom! This is quite as interesting as their recent albums along with Attero Dominatus. Nice baritone vocals from Joakim Brodén. Sabaton fan army, look out for their next album this year, The War to End All Wars!

February 17, 2022 03:19 PM

I am afraid we went too power metal here again for my tastes.  I am not even happy with my own choices this month on reflection, although I note my Helstar choice got swapped out for something else?

Sorry Andi, but that Dragonforce track is awful.  I mean the original is contrived enough but they somehow manage to heap more cheese on it.

Absolute winner putting that Judas Priest track in though, and Pagan Altar are always a great choice.